Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

noisy LA .46

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2003, 09:29 PM
twostroke
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default noisy LA .46

I have noticed when I run my .46 LA it makes a knocking noise. I is coming from the front of the motor and it sounds like crankshaft end-play. I have also heard this on other LA engine, is there any way to cure this noise or should I just ignore it. By the way it runs fine and there is no performance problems.

Thanks.
Old 07-16-2003, 11:19 AM
IronCross

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default noisy LA .46

I have noticed the same thing at our field. However they only seem to make all the racket when running the MAS props. Nice and quiet with the APC's.
Old 07-16-2003, 01:25 PM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default noisy LA .46

The O.S. Max LA-series of engines have bushing-supported crankshafts. The crank 'floats' in the bushing. At low- to mid-throttle settings, the crank can move fore and aft in the bushing. You're hearing the drive washer strike the nose of the busing, or the crankshaft counterweight striking the rear of the bushing.

This is absolutely normal. If you tried to shim out the movement, you'd likely wind up causing the crank to seize in the bushing because of friction buildup. You need several thousandth's worth of play in a bushing engine, although more than .005" would be considered a lot, and you can shim down to that much play.

The 'clatter' is just something to live with when you use an engine with a bushing-supported crankshaft.
Old 07-17-2003, 12:18 AM
twostroke
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default noisy LA .46

Sounds good. Thanks for the quick reply!