Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

OS 46fx

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2010, 02:36 PM
CARDFAN
My Feedback: (64)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OS 46fx

This one is driving me crazy! The engine runs fine in my 4star will starting up(perhaps a little rich) and throttles well in mid and high range. When I take off, the engine will die(usually on the first flight) after about 50 to 100' high. Does not make a difference how steep or shallow the climb. I've changed fuel tanks, fuel tubing, and went back to my 10% nitro fuel(w/caster oil) after using 15% synethic. All to no avail. I've even changed engines and thought I had it but the problem resurfaced after the 4th flight. The fuel tank is about 1/4" below the needle valve(double checked). When I get the plane after dead sticking, the fuel line to the carb is empty. When I get more than one flight(rarely) it runs rich. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Thx, Ed
Old 04-16-2010, 10:12 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: OS 46fx

What propeller are you using? Also, you may want to consider that the engine's vibration is getting into the fuel tank, agitating air into the fuel in the tank, and that leans the engine. Once it gets off the ground, the model has more modes of vibration because it no longer has the ground as a partial restraint. You may need to add additional padding around the tank. The airframe may also be a bit light and allowing extra motion, too, so you need to check how solid the nose and engine-mounting area of the airframe happens to be.