Community
Search
Notices
O.S. Engines Support Ask Bill Baxter your questions about O.S. Engines.

120 Gemini II reassembly

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2010, 10:49 AM
42etus
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 120 Gemini II reassembly

I pulled my Gemini II apart and replaced the bearings, now I just want to double check a couple things.
I think the hole in the cam gear and the dot on the crankshaft should be aligned with each other. Is that correct?
The connecting rods are marked "OS" on one side only. Does that side face forward, or does it even matter?
Also what is the valve clearance for this engine?
Thanks in advance,
Paul
Old 07-12-2010, 08:49 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: 120 Gemini II reassembly

The markings and small hole on the cam and crank go in a straight line with the centers of the cam and crank.

Usually, they face forward, but how were they when you took it apart? Also, it's most critical that the rod caps be installed the same way they came off the rod. Usually, there are small dots on the faces that go the same way.

When adjusting the valves, you make sure they're off the cam. Use a 0.04mm and a 0.10mm feeler gauge. The thin one fits and the thick one doesn't. O.S. makes a valve-setting toolkit:

OSMG6334 72200060 GAUGES TOOLS 4-STROKE US$11.99

These parts can be ordered through any hobby retailer who sells O.S. Max engines and accessories.
Old 08-05-2010, 09:53 AM
kochj

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The engine is the same for the 1.60 Gemini Twin
I have taken this apart 2-times and the con-rod and cap and how they line up
had me stumped for a bit....
The dots line up like you said.
I had the oil hole line up with the back plate (I just guessed no istructions anywhere about this)
because I thought the fuel and oil would be moving from there and also be more available there
Hence, having the holes face the rear cover...

Is this correct??
Old 08-06-2010, 08:57 AM
Bax
My Feedback: (11)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

If you took the engine apart and didn't notice the orientation of the connecting rods, I'd just reassemble it so that the small dots on the lower rod end and the rod end cap pointed to the front of the engine. If you use a fuel with enough oil in it, you'll be OK.