Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Off Topic Forum - Boats
Reload this Page >

OT: Newport, Rhode Island

Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Boats Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. ABSOLUTELY NO religion or politics.

OT: Newport, Rhode Island

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2010, 05:04 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OT: Newport, Rhode Island

Thinking about relocating there after living in Germany for the last ten years. I'm currently with DA and could possibly work a transfer to Navy. Newport is gorgeous but it seems expensive. Just thinking, tailoring the resume and networking. Nothing set in stone but sure looks like a nice community.

RC boating is a huge plus since it would give me a chance to dust off a few projects. Fishing and fullscale boating seem to be a given and Lord only knows how much I'd enjoy to buy another center console fishing rig.

And for Hydro Junkie.... War Eagle.

Attached Images  
Old 12-18-2010, 11:34 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: OT: Newport, Rhode Island

Hi Jamie,

For me Newport/RI was love at first sight as my then wife and I crossed the Newport bridge and drove into town. We were checking out towns in the North East (From Annapolis to Newport) on return from Australia. I had never been to RI before (lived in NY for 10 years prior) and for me it was an easy choice. About 1-1.5 hours to Boston and 2-3 hours to NYC.

Not sure I would say RI is expensive. Depends on what your looking for, where your looking for it, and what you have been paying. I dont consider it very expensive (Australia and NY both are considerably more). Newport and surrounding towns offer a lot of options. Sure there are multi million dollar houses on the water but theres so much else to chose from. I have lived in a few towns in RI and now am on the Connecticut/RI border (about 35 minutes from Newport).

Keep in mind too that RI is a TINY state - 1000 Sq miles. There is not a whole lot of traffic to deal with in and around Newport. Commuting to Newport is not difficult by car though limited public transport options. The main population for RI is centered around Providence and Warwick.

Certainly let me know if you have any questions or if there is anything I can help you with.

Matt
Old 12-18-2010, 11:38 AM
Hydro Junkie

Received 130 Likes on 123 Posts

Nice to hear you coming home DD. If you want to do something fo me, MAKE IT A SCALE AND SEND THE WIFE MORE CHOCOLATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-18-2010, 12:16 PM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Matt & Mark, thanks for the input. Its valued. Matt, your feedback has been the best on a couple of forums. My problem is the benefits Uncle Sugar provides living abroad is much better than CONUS. My check would take a significant ding but could be worth it for the right location. Newport came across last week during a job search which I highly qualify for. A few looks at the area and houses got us thinking. Nothing more, but the thought is cooking. Its just a matter of tossing the resume out there and seeing what becomes.
Many thanks,
-Jamie