Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Off Topic Forum - Boats
Reload this Page >

3EGX conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Boats Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. ABSOLUTELY NO religion or politics.

3EGX conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 01:28 PM
ken webb

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 3EGX conversion

Anyone on here tried converting and older radio to 2.4ghz. If so what system did you use and is it working ok. I've converted a 3EGX Futaba with a FRSKY unit and so far everything is working ok.Big test will be installing in a boat a running it.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:27 AM
boater
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 3EGX conversion

A competitive boater from Canada had his 3EGX converted to 2.4 with a FAAST Module converted by Kraft Midwest (I think??). It was not a plug and play. Did you have to put the Frsky board in an old 75 module?? The Frsky should work on water since it is freq hopping, the older Spektrum units were problemmatic but the new DSMX should solve those problems. The FAAST radios have become the gold standard of radios for expensive fast racing boats. Crummy batteries and switch harnesses can defeat the best 2.4 radios.
Old 07-21-2011, 03:41 PM
ken webb

Terry Kelley did the Futaba module conversion. That's what made me want to try it. I used a FRSKY DIY hardwire kit that I placed in the am module case. There's only 3 wires to hook up.Pwr,grnd,and signal.Then find a place for the antenna and led-bind button circuit board. Conversion works fine. Plug in modules for the older radios are larger than the new modules per Futaba. I think my conversion was easier than Terries because he used the Futaba module and had to adapt it to work.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:10 AM
ren3

Radio South does the conversion with Futaba modules for $40 plus the cost for the module.