Notices
Off Topic Forum - Boats Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. ABSOLUTELY NO religion or politics.

Who are you?

Old 10-17-2013, 05:20 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Who are you?

This forum looks like it needs a little more life to it so why not use it to let other members know who you are?
Seeing how I started this thread I guess that I have to go first.
OK, that's my real name as I couldn't make one up that bad.
I just turned 61 (yeah, I'm old!), married for 28 years and have a 26 year-old son, also married with a baby on the way.
I've lived in Kalamazoo all of my life and work as a Material Handler for a major paper company, now for 41 years but heading for medical retirement ASAP.
Been doing this RC thing for a good 35 years, planes and cars but hooked badly now on boats.
I'll be brave and post a shot of me.
Old 10-20-2013, 05:55 AM
blizard05

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My name is Larry Bleakley, 76 yrs old, started boating when I was 12,real and model. Lived on the South shore of MA all my life,never more than 10 min from the water. I now have RC sail boats, FE boats scale boats and gas boats.

Last edited by blizard05; 10-20-2013 at 05:58 AM.
Old 10-21-2013, 05:59 AM
blizard05

Hey, Ron looks like it's just you and me
Old 10-21-2013, 12:20 PM
Ron Olson

I figured that seeing how it's down here in the OT forum it might take a while to get rolling. I was initially going to toss it in the General Boating forum but thought that this area would be a better place for it.
Old 10-21-2013, 01:25 PM
blizard05

Hay Mat, what about you ??
Old 10-23-2013, 05:18 PM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I seem to remember seeing the three of us in a similar thread a few years ago. Ages have changed though!!

I'm Matt for those who dont know me. I broke through the 40 barrier a year or two ago.

I am too embarrassed to say the last time I ran a boat (Larry - you may have been there - if you can remember that far back). I still have most of my boats. Also added a bow rider so can finally be on the water myself too. (here is a kicker - my first real boat though it is 4th in most expensive boat purchases!!). I have also immersed myself pretty deep into photography and run 2 local clubs with around 1000 members.

Have a son who is turning three in a few days - he is my biggest excuse for taking time off RC - though he will be a very happy kid in a few years!!

Will add a few pics shortly!

So this is a long "Buyer beware" complaint - but so has been the 7 or so weeks I have tried to seek some resolution. I have at no point lost my temper or made any insulting remarks. This remains the case still.

So as some of you may know, I was the lucky winner of a Radtek 92" Clear carbon cat. A prize valued at around $2800 with free shipping. It was a sticker contest hosted in one of the (Facebook) Elite RC Boat groups and Mark Ashbaugh did an exemplary job hosting it and ordering the boat that Radek Lech (Owner of Radtek) had offered Mark as the prize. The pictures Radek provided Mark of the prize boat showed a very enviable boat and the needed tickets sold out pretty quick. I think I sunk around $400 in trying to win this one.

So winner winner chicken dinner. Very excited to be getting this boat. I have another white Radtek cat but this was to be my first clear carbon hull and I was expecting something very special.

So the end of July my crate arrives. A large OSB crate. I knew immediately that there was going to be a disappointment as I heard the painful sound of hull on wood that you don't expect to hear when buying a premium boat directly from a company touting themselves as one of the best. Opening the crate I find 1 small square of foam taped to the hatch and one square taped to the rudder block. That was it. No other tape used to secure the 5 small pieces of foam floating freely in the bottom of the crate - no bubble or shrink wrap. Nothing!. WHO DOES THAT??? What person charged with boxing one of the most expensive RC boat hulls available does that and more importantly - what kind of manufacturer allows this to happen???

So I lift her out and check for damage. Fortunately the scratches and gouges were not as bad as possible - both sides have deep marks and the bottom of the hull is chipped and scratched - though considering Radtek had not touched it the problems are harder to see. Certainly not what you want in a clear finished $2800 prize!!

What was worse than the damages were the blemishes. The carbon work is not great - wrinkles and poor alignment - more a DIY effort than "the highest standards in the industry". It certainly was not the boat that Radek had offered and photographed as the prize - this was easily evidenced by the seam and the scoops not being attached (as was shown in other pics).

So I reached out to Mark who shared my surprise and disappointment and advised him I was going to contact Radek directly to find out what went wrong. Radek expressed disappointed at how the boat was packed though advised me all their boats come with blemishes (this was "not a blem hull" - are they all blem hulls?). Radek insisted on talking by phone (harder to document a phone conversation) and over the phone he assured me that he would "make it right"(Radtek are after all 100% comitted to customer satisfaction). Radek asked what I wanted and I said I wanted the boat that was listed as the prize. Radek said he would send me pictures of the other hull (saying they only made 2 with this carbon pattern and 2 could be seen in some of the pics used in the contest). Radek wanted me to see the blemishes in the other hull before he went to the trouble of replacing this one - just to make sure I was happy.

So a month goes by with ZERO response to voice, text, and FB messages. I finally get two very low resolution images via text that really showed me nothing about the boat being offered (who uses text to share images for decision making when all our other communication was via FB Message). I asked for more images via email, messenger - anything, and explained the issues I have with what he shipped me. He went on with an insult before advising me he never sold me anything - only Mark.

At this point I am confident that Radtek and Radek Lech are in no way interested in helping in any way resolve this issue and I am sure he would put even less care into packing any replacement boat should I push matters further. I have never asked for a refund - just the boat that was offered as the prize. I get the feeling Radek saw it as a chance to offload a blem but still no idea what thinking went into that packing effort - there's no excuse for that - ever.

Radek did say he knew someone wanting to buy a hull if I wanted to sell this one - I said it was his boat to sell and I would pack it for his customer (sure beats shipping this thing back and forth across the country). I wanted my hull.

Radek also suggested I paint it - which is not really the reason I wanted a $2800 clear carbon hull as a prize.

Additional items of note

* Radtek no longer vacuum bag though website thinks they do (too much hassle according to Radek). Their use of carbon in this hull is the worst I have seen from a manufacturer. Even my other Radtek looks a little better.

* According to Radek - All hulls are shipped with blemishes (though they claim to be the "Highest standards in the industry")

* Radek knowingly misrepresent products on their website that are made by other manufacturers (Namely HPR) as his own. (I owned the HPR Miss Geico thats been on their website for years).

* I have already heard from two other customers who were very disappointed with the quality of the layup and overall finish of their $2500+ Bare hulls. Radek has not followed through in assisting either with their complaints either.

So just keep it in mind if you ever have to deal with Radtek boats - they are not what they claim to be!!

Radek talks a good deal - but he could care less!

Pics of the hull and exchanges -
https://imageevent.com/justaddwata/myboats/radtek

Keywords: Radek Lech, Radtek Scam, Radtek Blemishes, Radtek Defects, 92" Radtek, 2.33m Radtek, Huge RC Cat, Carbon RC Cat, Turbine RC Cat. [email protected], 562 544-6040, RC Catamaran, Carbon catamaran, Twin zenoahs, twin RCMKs, RCMK K600s, Huge electric RC cats,

Last edited by Justaddwata; 10-05-2020 at 08:43 PM.
Old 10-23-2013, 06:07 PM
Ron Olson

My little boy is now 26 and making me a grandfather in February. He started racing RC trucks at 6 then I finally let him race boats at 12. He's still racing with me, driving my Rampage but has driven every boat of mine.
Your 3 year-old will be wanting a boat in a couple of years, I'm sure that you can find him something!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1787.JPG
Views:	342
Size:	2.13 MB
ID:	1932380  
Old 10-24-2013, 01:35 AM
blizard05

Matt, if and when you get ready to run your boats let me know, yes it has been a long time, and much has changed. I have 7 grand kids,ages 12-21.(2 boys) none of them are into the hobby . Who's the guy with the funny legs?
Old 10-28-2013, 03:11 AM
fuma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well i started in rc about 1979 Have stuck with it almost since then, I am 53, and a master stonemason. Love to fish and travel or both. 15 rc boats,5 seaplanes 3 gliders,and some cars. along with 9 boats to ride,ski or fish from. Life Is Good on the water
Old 10-29-2013, 06:39 AM
siberianhusky

Too funny! started with boats around 1980 or so, Name is Mark and I am also a fully papered stone mason, although I have slightly changed work and now specialize in restoration of historic buildings. Still get the odd bit of stonework but most people can't afford it anymore. Lots of repairs still.
http://www.historicplaces.ca/en/rep-...u.aspx?id=1394
My current project, tearing down the 4 chimneys and rebuilding them, should be finished next week. Also have a bit of brick replacement to do and some crack repairs....
Old 10-29-2013, 11:01 AM
fuma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know what you mean about people not having money for stone work.it's the first thing cut from the project when the budjet gets tite.I am curantly building an outdoor fireplace and an entrance way on the horse farm where i run my boats great place to work.

Name:	100_6510.jpg
Views:	628
Size:	1.18 MB
ID:	1934418   Click image for larger version

Name:	my toys.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	4.14 MB
ID:	1934419  
Old 10-29-2013, 02:09 PM
blizard05

I was a plasterer for 45 yrs,am now retired Larry
Old 11-07-2013, 02:52 PM
caddydaddy472

I'm Sean, I'm 32 and have been into RC boats for a little over 2 years. I flew RC planes as a kid, but got out of that as crashing planes was getting expensive!
A boat hull and box o'parts was given to me by a friend who bought it all new in 1987, but never got around to building it! He knew I'd get the boat in the water, and I did! I don't think I did bad on my first build, but it could have been done better. I'm working on improving it now. New offset rudder and used CMB 45RS going into it now!
i recently bought a modified Aquacraft Revolt 30, and have it running on a 5S pack. Hope to get it in the water to test out this weekend!
Old 11-07-2013, 03:18 PM
Ron Olson

The Steve Muck hulls were some of the ones to have way back then, the Streaker and the Spartan.
Old 11-07-2013, 04:39 PM
caddydaddy472

Originally Posted by Ron Olson
The Steve Muck hulls were some of the ones to have way back then, the Streaker and the Spartan.
I have heard that from a lot of people! I think it's a very well built hull!
Old 04-24-2014, 02:11 AM
zen40

Hi, I'm Darryl, 49 chef and pastry chef by trade. Started with small control line diesels back in the mid 70s played with boats a bit back then but always likes planes. Love fishing more so salmon and trout, play average golf and have A wonderful wife of 18 years and to great sons 11 and 13.
I was in a boating family and was around the New Zealand power boating scene from the late 60s till now. My father built his own 16' pelan Aquarius and raced it for the New Brighton power boat club, the boat now 42 years old powered with an all alloy 350 chev is still in show winning condition. He also helped P G Knight build the CRC Latimer Lodge Lauterbach Special hence the main reason I'm building a 1:5 replica. I got into planes again about 12 years ago and have flown competitive pattern and mostly sports and fun fly.
my interest in boats was rekindled last year when I bought an old 16'7" skiff in poor condition and restored it last winter. I took her (willow) to the 15th annual classic boat show in February this year and ended up winning the Jens Hansen trophy ( he made the rings for The Lord of the rings movies) for best boat at the show, blew me away but the judges loved the blokeish escapism it represents. I saw a few models at the show and decided as a winter project this year I would build some form of model boat. Looking around I found the Blazer 52" lauterbach. I still think IMO that they are the best looking motor vehicle bet it car, boat plane or motorcycle ever made, just a pure lovely shape with the drop sponsons, wing shape hull, cowls, deck and bow curves and the transom, geeze that all sounds a bit dodgy.
Nice to be reading all the info on here and looking at the projects you all undertake. I like RCU for help and info and enjoy posting for others that may enjoy a read or find good info in my posts. Cheers attached a couple of pics of my boat humble but fun.

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	239
Size:	340.0 KB
ID:	1989448   Click image for larger version

Views:	200
Size:	1.56 MB
ID:	1989449   Click image for larger version

Views:	216
Size:	1.92 MB
ID:	1989450  
Old 05-08-2014, 09:49 PM
Carlos Murphy
My Feedback: (72)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Howdy all.
I usta race 7.5 outboard tunnels in the late 70's, the Percolator Ponds in San Jose Ca., a golf course pond in Napa and one I can't remember was the circuit , just turned 70 last month.
I'd like to get back into it but there are no clubs here in northern Nevada, I'd like to race cracker boxes too but still, no clubs. If I wanted to get into R/C Warship combat I'd have to go all the way to San Jose, 8 hours round trip....
Oh well, guess I'll remain a land lubber.

Last edited by Carlos Murphy; 05-10-2014 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2014, 01:33 PM
blizard05

Default Me and my modded I box

Name:	IMG_0270.JPG
Views:	744
Size:	2.50 MB
ID:	2040476  

Last edited by blizard05; 10-15-2014 at 01:37 PM.
Old 10-16-2014, 01:21 AM
Justaddwata
My Feedback: (3)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Good Picture Larry!!
Old 10-23-2014, 03:25 PM
blizard05

My computer crashed,and I lost all my pictures
Old 10-23-2014, 03:53 PM
Ron Olson

Oh no! All of my pix and vids now go directly to my Photobucket and Google+ accounts from both my computer and cell phone.
Old 11-11-2014, 02:05 PM
James Brand

Hi, James here 29, Devon UK. i would upload some pictures but my two kids (boys 2 and4) thaught it would be fun to jump on my lap top so now im on my wives.

i run my own custom surfboard buisness, composite parts, moulds, grp repairs and composite flat roofing business, iv also just started building rc boat hulls.

when im not doing that i work on old buildings 12-13th cen- cob walling, lime plastering, stone masoning basicaly taking out the new and putting in the old.
right now im on my mums place that is in the doomsday book. the journeys end inn.

my wife is portugese been married 5 years. iv been into rc since i can remember, dad got me into it since before i can remember. cheers

Name:	SAM_0701.JPG
Views:	813
Size:	243.0 KB
ID:	2046720  
Old 12-03-2014, 10:49 AM
apache 1

I'm Phil. Another mason. Uneducated farm boy who hit the city of Toronto on his motorcycle when I was 16. I live in Oakville now with my wife,( japanese submarine captains' daughter, apple didn't fall far from the tree, real tight ship around here). No kids as we left it too long , she's 42 and I'm 49, but were still trying. Got into rc boats when I went looking to buy a new toy at an rc shop. Stopped riding bikes when I met the wife because she hated it. Also it didn't make sence having an expensive Harley around when I was not using it.
Besides, I've written off a couple, lots of scars and the top half of my head is plastic, think my 9 lives are up anyway. Went into the rc shop thinking about buying a truck but came out with a big yellow apache basket case with an old chainsaw engine. Been hooked ever since. Think sometimes I liked those old school days better when you everything yourself.
I'm a bit of a technophob, like hands on stuff best, went kicking and screaming to learn the computor,still struggling with it. Don't know why I like tinkering so much as I'm not well suited for it. My hands might as well be pizza boxes sometimes I swear,don't know how you other masons do it, must be the challenge.
Haven't been on here in a while as I got interested in other things, A 24 ft San Juan keel boat. And just finished my 66 El Camino, "Elly". She shore is Purdy.

Name:	el camino 66.jpg
Views:	1311
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	2051900   Click image for larger version

Name:	pics 1 007.jpg
Views:	597
Size:	967.9 KB
ID:	2051901   Click image for larger version

Name:	pics 1 068.jpg
Views:	605
Size:	1.95 MB
ID:	2051902   Click image for larger version

Name:	pics 1 004.jpg
Views:	606
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	2051903  
Old 12-03-2014, 07:54 PM
Habaneroe

Hi Phil- my Chinese gf hated my 650r too so that is long gone as well lol. I sure miss riding in those carpool lanes !
im Richard a retail manager into rc for almost ten years now. Recently getting into edf jets and crawlers (the latter a bit more accessible to my young son).

Views:	629
Size:	670.5 KB
ID:	2051975   Click image for larger version

Views:	608
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	2051976   Click image for larger version

Views:	605
Size:	464.2 KB
ID:	2051977  
Old 01-15-2015, 06:02 PM
Ledet

My name is Lance Ledet lived in Houma La. all of my life I am 43 years old was a diesel machine for 10 years now I am a charter fishing guide for the last 15 years. I have been drooling over rc magazines sense I was a kid. Started flying at the age of 32 and was in it big time until 2005 when my dad past away life changed and did not have the time. Now I am getting back into it again and have an interest in boats witch is the only thing in rc I have not tried (flew plains, hellis, and fooled around cars). I missed the hobby!

Name:	L2.jpg
Views:	855
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	2064029   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fish 36lb.JPG
Views:	2187
Size:	742.0 KB
ID:	2064030  

Last edited by Ledet; 01-15-2015 at 06:20 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.