Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Off Topic Forum - Boats
Reload this Page >

Any fisherman out there?

Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Boats Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. ABSOLUTELY NO religion or politics.

Any fisherman out there?

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2007, 01:04 PM
edmkills

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any fisherman out there?

Its been a long winter and I really can't stand ice fishing much. Looking forward to my first fix of openwater!

[img][/img]
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Om31772.jpg (225.1 KB, 13 views)
Old 03-26-2007, 01:27 PM
YZF Desert

Default RE: Any fisherman out there?

I go fishing with my parents when they go, usually just do trolling for trout and kokanee. Sometimes my dad and I will go fish some streams that come into the lake.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:32 PM
edmkills

My addiction is topwater northern pike. Theres nothing like having a 20lbs plus gator smash your lure on the surface.
Old 03-26-2007, 01:41 PM
YZF Desert

Never been fishing for 20 pounders befor, one of these days, biggest for me was some ocean fishing when I was young. When we go to the river for jet skiing and boating I also bank fish a little or fish off a jet ski for small mouth bass and striped bass, caught my first stripper last trip at about 11 pm at night. Thats probably the biggest fresh water fish I caught. Or at lake powell a few years ago got caught some good sized carp, lol,, there just a bottom feeder that are worthless, they take over lakes and eat the eggs off other fish ruining the fishing.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:00 PM
jdoug

The smallies are starting to go nuts right now!!!! I need to get out on the water.
Old 03-26-2007, 04:16 PM
mopartybob

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a striper chaser myself,winter runs were fair off the beaches here,the days of 50-55 lb. hogs are gone .......[&o]on the other hand, when the king salmon are runnin,there are some 45-50lb'erz bein caught......try that on light tackle from the beach......
Old 03-26-2007, 04:22 PM
jdoug

YZF - We're always fishin' for 20+ lb ers.

Sturgeon is the biggest fresh water fish I've caught. It wasn't even a big one at just over 5 ft. and weighed about 95 lbs. That was a hell of a fight from the bank. The coolest part about that fish that day was that it broke water like a Marlin out in the middle of the Columbia River. Awesome site when a lot of people don't even know there are fish down there that big. [8D]
Old 03-26-2007, 09:29 PM
BUDMAN27

I like to cook shimp rap in bacon with maby some bell pepper in it. I don,t fish much though . Funny thing is my last name is Anglin.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:15 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I used to fish a lot of local Bass tournies just before I got back into R/C boats. Every Saturday from May until late October was spent somewhere, either company or club tournies.
I used to fish against a then unknown except for around here Kevin VanDam, BASS Rookie of the Year and BASS Masters winner. He could pull hogs out of lakes that I couldn't get a bite out of.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:15 AM
Doubledog
My Feedback: (48)

I'll have to show ya'll some of us out in the Gulf of Mexico ringing in some large grouper. Inland saltwater is my thing when time allows.

Btw, nice one there Ed. Is it a Muskee or Pike?
Old 03-27-2007, 10:30 AM
edmkills

Thanks DD its a Pike. They don't grow as quick as a Musky but they do get as big .

Big lures = big fish, heres a couple of my favorite. [img][/img]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl30417.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	651187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt63190.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	52.5 KB
ID:	651188  
Old 04-08-2007, 07:38 PM
weathervane

I hooked a skate(searay) you know the fish with the wings and long tail. I was about 12-14 and that thing was unreal. It took about all the line out and tangeled up a bunch of crab pots. That was the biggest thing for me here on the Chesepeake Bay. A cool childhood memory.
-Andrew
Old 04-10-2007, 11:50 AM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well, I usually like going after stripers in the spring here in NY. We usually only eat a few. Dont worry I dont glow yet. When me and my parents used to cruise, I'd trap blue crab and cast net for shrimp. On our big trip way down to the keys and back I caught quite a few. here's a small list probably leaving out some.
red snapper (yumyum)
Jacks
Sheeps head (hard to kill, but pretty good eatin)
Tarpon (that's a fish, if I've ever seen one flying 5ft in the air as your trying to reel it in)
Reef shark (by accident, was about a 6ft shark, not very nice, didnt bring it in the boat, being I was in an inflatable)
man my memory stinks, I know this list should be twice as long, only thing else I remember was catching a seagull and a toadfish(these things are nasty little buggers)
Old 04-10-2007, 03:18 PM
BigSlick

Yes, I do some fishing

Old 04-10-2007, 03:37 PM
weathervane

WOW, very nice
Old 04-11-2007, 02:25 AM
edmkills

BigSlick you da man! I'm cursed with only freshwater fishing available. After looking at your pics [:-] I may have to move !
Old 04-11-2007, 11:15 AM
BigSlick

If you like to fish, you would defenitely love it down here. I have a whole bunch of pics of fresh water fishing too. If I get some time, I will post them up...
Old 04-11-2007, 04:54 PM
jdoug

Yeah, being in Idaho, it's hard to get out and catch the ocean dwellers. ...still workin' on casting that far! We do have some excellent trout streams and rivers though. Although, I do spend most of the time fishing for bass.

BigSlick - Nice fish...all of them!

Just curious...who all practices catch and release?

I fish all the warmer months every year and have kept about 2 fish the last few years. I have seen several ponds in our area go from being good, to not even worth going because Fish and Game decided to change the rules to bring more famlies in.[:@] The ponds used to be catch and release only and they were awesome fishing! Since they changed it to where you can now keep them, the place is terrible fishing with people and trash all over. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind people keeping fish and occasionally do it myself. It is just that some of the smaller ponds can't sustain a decent population of breeders because they all get caught out. Sorry for the rant on Fish and Game.[&:]

FISH ON!!!

Old 04-11-2007, 07:42 PM
blizard05

I,fish the Cape Cod canel,and the beaches of Cape Cod, Plymouth to P town Have beach able motor home.drive and camp on beach
Old 04-11-2007, 09:40 PM
Quicksilver1

I only keep fish when theres a good reason, like a huge striper, or like my trip to florida when I caught dinner and we werent in the same place day to day.

Did they state they changed the rule to attract more people, or are they trying to keep a certain fish population in check? Pretty messed up that a lot of times, they do things that aren't environmentally friendly, like perhaps your example. The EPA and fish and game are corrupt and inept as can be.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:45 PM
BUDMAN27

Do you do any scuba diving and spear fishing too Bigslick ? I have given that a try many years back. Lots of fun but lots of work too.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:24 AM
edmkills

Just curious...who all practices catch and release?
I do and barbless for years!... and I fish every chance I get. I would say I keep about 2-3 per year and never big ones (okay I have mounted 3). Some of the lakes up here (Canada) can be pretty isolated and its easy to catch 50 or more fish per day. When the fishing is like that I try to limit my time spent fishing as they say 1 in 10 will die from just the stress of being caught or hooked badly. Thats why I got interested in RC boats something else to do at the lake .
Old 04-12-2007, 06:25 AM
martno1fan

i fish here in the uk for freshwater fish ,mostly small stuff apart from the odd carp over 30 lb and .ive had a nice pike of 25lb in summer that would have been over 30lb in winter it was 4 ft long i had a short vid of it somewhere ill need to get it uploaded for yaa, but heres a pic of one so you know what one looks like!!..one hell of a fight on 10 lb line it was tail walking for half an hr before i banked it .
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Li20973.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	662494   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av67671.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	33.6 KB
ID:	662495  
Old 04-12-2007, 10:30 AM
BigSlick

Guys, I definitely agree with catch and release. I do not keep anything I catch in freshwater. Saltwater is a different ball game, and each species has a certain bag limit. My family and friends really enjoy eating fresh fish, so when I got out I will bring back fresh fish to enjoy for consumption. Nothing is ever wasted. All sailfish that I catch are released although I could keep 2 legally if I wanted too. I usually will throw back any small species even if they are legal and keep the big guys. The breeding on snappers and Mahi starts out at a very young stage so there is no fear of just keeping breeders. Florida has very strict bag limits, thus preventing the depletion of the species.

Lakes do not replenish themselves as does the ocean so I can definitely understand your concerns.

Someone asked about spearfishing. Yes, I actively spearfish and enjoy the sport tremendously. It is definitely a lot of work and will keep you in shape for sure...
Old 04-18-2007, 08:15 AM
slowstang88

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

oh man, you guys making me crazy!!! its still too cold here in n japan for the largemouth yet, i might resort to live bait to get one on the line... my old supervisor got me hooked on soft stickbaits and jerks rigged weightless , and if anyone fishes largemouth, i highly recommend it!! like a 5" gary yamamato senko(or equivalent) any color and pattern works, use an offset worm hook and skip that puppy under some low hanging branches and be ready for one hell of a pull!! i was stationed at malmstrom afb for 4 years, so i was hooked bigtime on trout in the missouri river (clean, clear water, and trophy fish). after that first one that the meat came out red like a salmon and just as tasty, those fish had me hooked!!