Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Off Topic Forum - Boats
Reload this Page >

How can I report this guy on RC Universe?

Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Boats Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. ABSOLUTELY NO religion or politics.

How can I report this guy on RC Universe?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2007, 11:28 AM
tbaysal2000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How can I report this guy on RC Universe?

http://www.rcuniverse.com/community/...s&memid=190638

Some of you would remember my messages on a white Challenger 48 which I bought through RC Universe adds. The guys name is Nick Brugger and he lives in Amarillo Texas, 1305 S Travis is the address. I paid the money to his girl friends paypal (very smart huh) and he promised to ship overseas. As he was also the member of this website, I considered transaction safe. At the end, I paid more then $700 for nothing.

When I found that I could report her girl friend on paypall, it was already too late as there's a limited time for reporting fraud.

So at least we can make sure this guy doesn't show up here. And I tried to leave a poor rating as there's another guy that didn't receive the product after payment and couple satisfied ones.

Anything else I can really do about this?
Old 04-25-2007, 12:24 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: How can I report this guy on RC Universe?

If you bought it in the RCU Marketplace then report it to John (JWN) and he will do what he can for you. I hope that you still have the ad other he should be able to look it up. The seller will be banned from advertising any more on this site.
You can take futhr steps and report him for Inernet Fraud, a Federal crime.
http://www.ic3.gov/crimeschemes.aspx
Old 04-25-2007, 03:59 PM
tbaysal2000

Thanks Ron. I actually found the previous advertisement and filed complaint on RCU already. You can see both the boat and seller on the photo!!! Well paid for the photo [:@]
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=205184

I'll review what I can achieve with the link for Internet Fraud. He was smart to have me make the payment to his girlfriend's paypal account. But I have all email communications if this would be a legal proof? I'm sure they can trace by yahoo for the authenticity.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66522.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	672005  
Old 04-25-2007, 05:01 PM
benny2.0

sory to here you bad luck. he looks like a real ass clown.[:'(]
Old 04-25-2007, 05:21 PM
patriktegelberg

I have been disapionted and upset in some purchases. It is easy to overreact and say to much on such occasions. The few times I have succeeded in keeping civil I have been glad afterwards.
Old 04-25-2007, 11:15 PM
payj

Same thing happened to me. I bought a baja 5b from a guy who never sent it. It took three months to get my money back. My best suggestion would be to stay as civil as possible. I know it sounds lame, you just want to say a whole bunch of bad stuff-but dont. It will look bad on you if this goes anywhere legally.

In my case I did a really dumb thing and sent a cashiers check. The guy got the check, but said I had to wait because his product (my baja) hadent showed up yet. Well, I had assumed he already had it lol- I was wrong, way wrong. He sent my money and some other peoples money to some dude in indonseia hoping to recive all this stuff. Long story short, he didnt. My money was gone with a few other people. I did a back ground check and found out he was being evicted, was in debt over his head, so I assumed he just took my money for personal stuff. I emailed him constantly. To his credit he kept very good communcation with me and said he would get my money back as soon as he could get the money together. That took three months. He owed me about $700 and paid me two installments of $300 and one installment of $100. I got my money back, but truthfully I feel very lucky I did.

All I can say is be patient, and stay on the guy. Email him untill he gives you a date in which he says he will pay you. Once he says that dont email him untill that date so he dosnt get annoyed. Theres a fine line between staying on top of somebody and just annoying the shi* out of them. Everyone is different when it comes to this so be carefull not to cross that line.

Good luck hope this helped a little, I was in the same boat about 6 months ago. Just dont give up you will get your money back!!!!!

take care,

Justin
Old 04-25-2007, 11:17 PM
Ron Olson

Keep everything including e-mails and whatever else that you have as all of the evidence will help in your case against the person. Print them out in case of a computer crash.
Old 04-26-2007, 05:43 AM
tbaysal2000

We've been actually quite nice to each other for months but how much more can you be patient. I made the payment in June and he told me that he was sure he can ship it by air parcel. Then he found out that it was over size for air cargo and I found a way to do it by Turkish Airlines and way too costly. He then never had time to pack it etc. I told him by after 5 months past to either pay me the money back or ship it to New York to a friend's address. I always got a reply that said soon he will solve the problem but never did. Finally I've sent email informing that I will report it legally if he doesn't resolve it shortly and similar message was sent to his girlfriend who got the payment. I never received any reply after that. And I've called so many times until then as well. I just saw recently that he read my PM and therefore looked to his personal log and saw he sold few items since then here. So at least I thought I can act here.

Old 04-26-2007, 08:41 AM
Ron Olson

If you have any communications with this person through PM's in this site, save a copy to your "Sent" folder and check the box for a "Read" receipt.

I'm going to move this over to the Off-Topic forum and leave a link here to the thread.
Old 04-26-2007, 10:43 AM
air-madness

Geez, some people! Yeah, I would never purchase ANYTHING from a non-reputable source unless there is a consensus that the selling party is trust worthy. For example, RCU is reputable, but, as you have found out, the selling party using RCU's reputation is not. This is common practice among those seeking self benefit; a prime example is online auction sites such as eBay.

The laws for some 'crimes' are not applicable in your instance. If you were in the U.S., and there was the clear intent to fraud you, you could file a complaint with many of the pertaining federal agencies; Intersate commerce laws would apply (federal offense) since the transaction, if legitamate, would have been one that took a process of crossing state borders; the amount of the transaction also pushes the element of the crime to "grand x" since it is over a certaion amount of money (generally 500 dollars). In this case, since the seller is U.S. citizen, the rules apply to him explicitly. You should be able to get your money back, heres how:

(1) Contact RCU of the problem;
(2) Contact the Attorney General for the state in which the seller resides (where the sale took place);
(3) Contact the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) and file a formal complaint on the grounds that the seller is selling goods across sate borders (Interstate Commerce) and is presumed to be not paying taxes on his earnings (this will turn his world upside down - bigtime);
(4) Contact the Better Business Bureau (BBB) and file a complaint (there really isn't much they can do since the seller is presumed to not have a tax I.D., but they WILL contact him a demand a response);
(5) Even contact the FTC (Federal Trade Commission) and report him (once again, little will they do, but they WILL contact him);
(6) Contact PayPAl as well.

Lastly, keep a hard copy of ALL the emails/communications; keep money tranaction slips (receipts etc); simply be prepared.
Under federal law a person has 30 days to send items which have been paid for in full. If there was no mention of any further delays of the sale item, he has to refund the money or give due notice of the event and explain to the seller the reaons why. The buyer, if beyond any reasonble shipping timeline, has the option of allowing the seller to ship, or get funds back.

-Phil
Old 04-26-2007, 11:51 AM
Ron Olson

You have given the person more than enough time to either ship you the boat or refund your money. I don't know if he is an active member in here as a lot of Marketplace sellers are only in here to sell.
Not only is it a buyer beware world out there but a seller beware also. I've found a few items in our Marketplace and reported those also where someone offers to buy mainly high-dollar items and offer to arrange for pick-up and shipping and the worn out "I'll send you a check for $X,XXX.xx and send me back the rest but keep a few extra dollars for your trouble" scams. These aren't just from foreign countries either as I reported one scammer that was from Georgia.
Old 04-28-2007, 08:24 PM
unclecrash

ORIGINAL: tbaysal2000

Thanks Ron. I actually found the previous advertisement and filed complaint on RCU already. You can see both the boat and seller on the photo!!! Well paid for the photo [:@]
http://www.rcuniverse.com/market/item.cfm?itemId=205184

I'll review what I can achieve with the link for Internet Fraud. He was smart to have me make the payment to his girlfriend's paypal account. But I have all email communications if this would be a legal proof? I'm sure they can trace by yahoo for the authenticity.
You should'nt have no problem Identifying him when the FBI shows up at his door as long as he hasnt moved. I would get on it right away befor he has a change to hit the road if he already didn't.
Old 04-29-2007, 01:57 PM
tbaysal2000

I'll be in New York in June so this gives this guy a last chance to decide what to do. I will email him this link so that he understands what can happen if he doesn't pay me my money back. And if I still have anything in my paypal, then I will make all the applications with hard copies. It should be easier to file action while I'm over there. Thanks all for being supportive on this matter which firstly hurts my belief in people and then my pocket of course.
Old 04-29-2007, 04:07 PM
unclecrash

That makes me sick to think about loosing that kind of money. Especially when It would take me along time to save it. I have a guy who has owed me 5thousand for a year now and makin no attempt to pay it. If it wasnt my brothers best friend who knows I would probably be in jail right now[X(]