Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Off Topic Forum - Boats
Reload this Page >

Will the plane fly?

Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Boats Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. ABSOLUTELY NO religion or politics.

Will the plane fly?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 10:46 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Will the plane fly?

Why isn't the plane going to move? Is is strapped to the ground?

Ryan
Old 08-03-2007, 11:52 AM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

From what I'm assuming is that the plane is not strapped down but accelerating at the same rate as the conveyor belt. Any plane has to reach a certain speed to achieve lift.
OK Raj, where are you?
Old 08-03-2007, 12:18 PM
ryan_t888

Ron, if the plane is not strapped down in anyway, the prop is going to pull it forward.

Does my treadmill with rollerblades idea make any sense to you back a few posts. I won't let this go until you understand why the plane will take off.

Ryan
Old 08-03-2007, 12:24 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The wheels and bearings Isolate the motion of the airplane from the motion of the tread mill.

So the treadmill has no "drag" on the airplane at all.

This is clearly demonstrated by the video experiment by the elementary school boy and his father.
Despite the fact that the treadmill was easily running ten times as fast as that toy plane could travel on the ground, the propeller was able to pull the vehicle to the front of the treadmill.

The wheels isolated the the motion of the treadmill from the thrust of the propeller.

If this experiment were to be recreated with a longer treadmill the plane would eventually get up enough speed to take off.

[edit]
The roller blades and rope are a good example also.[8D]
Old 08-03-2007, 12:28 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Sorry Umi, but that video was about as unscientific as it gets as the kid had control over the speed of the plane which could not have been a constant so to me didn't prove anything as neither did another plane on a conveyor video of a toy plane that wasn't made to fly in the first place but only roll around on the floor.
Old 08-03-2007, 01:36 PM
ryan_t888

ORIGINAL: ryan_t888

Ron, if the plane is not strapped down in anyway, the prop is going to pull it forward.

Does my treadmill with rollerblades idea make any sense to you back a few posts. I won't let this go until you understand why the plane will take off.

Ryan
Old 08-03-2007, 01:41 PM
xxxboatworks

ORIGINAL: ryan_t888

No guys, you are thinking tooooo hard.

The plane will completely take off as normal. An observer would not know the difference of a plane on a conveyor vs a plane not on a conveyor. It will take the same amount of runway space either way assuming no friction in wheel bearings, wheels. They can spin as fast as they want.

Think of it as you standing on a long tread mill with roller blades on. You are also holding on to a rope that will simulate prop thrust. The treadmill begins to turn and you tug the rope tight. The rollerblades wheels are "free running" just like the planes wheels.

Now we accelerate the treadmill as fast as you want. Are you going to be able to pull yourself forward using the rope? (rope simulates prop thrust) Think about this realisticly.

Like I said before, this is a tough concept for most to grasp. The question makes you think the plane will stay in one spot but this is totally untrue. The plane WILL move.

Now if this was a car, it would not be able to work as the cars power is transmitted to the ground, and the ground would be moving to match the wheel speed.

ORIGINAL: Flabum
If the plane were propeller driven, only a small amount of the wings would be affected by the prop wash and would not provide enough lift for take off. If the plane were powered by jet engines, there would be no air flowing past the wings since all the air would be going through the engine.
Why is that? Is the plane strapped to the ground or what is holding it back? Remember prop thrust or jet thrust is in relation to the Atmosphere not the conveyor. Your take off logic is correct but the fact that the conveyor does not represent wind speed makes all the difference.

A plane does not use its wheels to keep up with speed, it uses air thrust. The conveyor does not represent air thrust. It only affects the wheels, which will turn freely in their bearings.

THIS QUESTION TOTALLY ROCKS!

Ryan
Exactly right!!! Yes, the plane will take off as normal and roll down the conveyer runway (despit the conveyer running in the opposite direct). It has been tested and proven many times by the engineers at Boeing and Flight Safety.
Old 08-03-2007, 05:42 PM
aussiebud

why do carriers use catapults then rather than a treadmill?
me personally dont' think that there will be any flow over the wings therefore no lift therefore no take off
Old 08-03-2007, 06:16 PM
xxxboatworks

ORIGINAL: aussiebud

why do carriers use catapults then rather than a treadmill?
me personally dont' think that there will be any flow over the wings therefore no lift therefore no take off
Different concept. The plane taking off the tread mill will roll up the entire length (3, 4, 5,000 feet or more) needed for take off. The plane will not sit and spin in the same place and then take off without moving forward. Basically, the tread mill will have little effect on the take off distance of the plane. The plane will roll down the tread mill runway and takeoff as usual. What the wheels are doing below is not really relevant.

Old 08-03-2007, 07:43 PM
Umi_Ryuzuki

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Sorry Umi, but that video was about as unscientific as it gets as the kid had control over the speed of the plane which could not have been a constant so to me didn't prove anything as neither did another plane on a conveyor video of a toy plane that wasn't made to fly in the first place but only roll around on the floor.

if you say so....

I won't try to explain any further how the wheels isolate the plane form the treadmill rather than connect the two...
Old 08-04-2007, 12:18 AM
Quicksilver1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

lmao, I just got it, why it was such a hard thing to grasp?.....no idea. I really was concentrating on the details of the question when it's so obvious. The conveyor is completely arbitrary, unless the bearings in the wheels arent very good. [8D]
Old 08-06-2007, 07:43 PM
ryan_t888

That's right!

Excellent Question!

Ryan