Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Boats Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. ABSOLUTELY NO religion or politics.

Rescue boat?

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2008, 07:40 PM
MOVMX Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rescue boat?

Hey guys... I was wondering if anyone makes a CHEAP rc boat that I can use as a rescue boat. I need one for like $30 or below (or a little more), I plan on modding it anyway, I just need a decent sized hull that I can base one off of, and it needs to stand up to polyester fiberglass resin (not sure if abs does or not). I would prefer something from a walmart or similar store, as my LHS is far away, and not really local...
Old 07-23-2008, 08:35 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
Default RE: Rescue boat?

Go to Wally-world and get yourself a 2-man inflatable boat instead. We have Aldi's stores up here and I just picked up one with a pump and oars for $20.00. I really didn't need it as I already had 2 other inflatables. I carry a 12-volt inflator along used for air mattresses and these boats. It'll blow it up in a matter of minutes while I'm unloading my other gear. If you're tight for space they don't take up much room at all.
With a cheap R/C boat you might run into other problems that it can't handle like a flipped boat or one hung up in weeds. A partially submerged boat will be very difficult to move also.
Old 07-24-2008, 05:19 PM
MOVMX Racer

ORIGINAL: Ron Olson

Go to Wally-world and get yourself a 2-man inflatable boat instead. We have Aldi's stores up here and I just picked up one with a pump and oars for $20.00. I really didn't need it as I already had 2 other inflatables. I carry a 12-volt inflator along used for air mattresses and these boats. It'll blow it up in a matter of minutes while I'm unloading my other gear. If you're tight for space they don't take up much room at all.
With a cheap R/C boat you might run into other problems that it can't handle like a flipped boat or one hung up in weeds. A partially submerged boat will be very difficult to move also.

Been there done that. I already have an inflatable boat and rechargeable coleman pump. I wanted a retrival boat so I dont always have to use the inflatable. I just hit walmart and bought a small abs boat and stripped it, and now I am having trouble deciding whether to glass it and bake it a brushless surface drive, or whether I should just make it a rescue boat...
Old 07-24-2008, 05:39 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I picked up a Zig-Zag Racer at one of my LHS's just to blow some money and to use it for bringing my dead boats back to shore with it. That was my intent for the ZZR but I'd toss it in the water and would end up by running the batteries dead playing with it!
What I did was put a cup hook low on the transom then I used one of the included balls and line to attach to the hook with a fishing swivel snap. The ball would snag on the rudder usually and I could drag the dead boat back to shore.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:10 AM
firelite_marine

finally got the decals I drew up for my rescue boat. I just have to be carefull not to skewer my 57apache.
in case your wondering bout the name, its a fishing boat and i dropped a 3500watt stereo system in it, hence the name.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58851.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	375.2 KB
ID:	997233   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rn39037.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	365.6 KB
ID:	997234   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kp33817.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	344.2 KB
ID:	997235   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mf96376.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	359.4 KB
ID:	997236   Click image for larger version

Name:	Se46083.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	413.4 KB
ID:	997237  
Old 09-26-2008, 11:53 AM
HoaRC

Option #1: Nikko Sea Racer ($7-21)

Stock Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCpBKYUnbSE
[link=http://www.nikkoamerica.com/rc/boats/speed_boats/products/Sea%20Racer.html][/link]

Where to buy:

http://www.hobbytron.com/NIKKO-SEA-RACER.html
http://www.toysrus.com/family/index....torePrice-TRUS
http://desc.shop.ebay.com/items/Radi...udlo=&_udhi=22

Needed for rc conversion:

soldering iron, solder, wire, isolation tape, liquid flux, box of plastic gloves, electrical fan,
75 Mhz AM transmitter, 75 Mhz AM receiver, speed controller (ESC), Servo with servo horn, 2 Servo Rods, two pliers, silicon and/or plastic glue, screw driver, 7.2 volt battery, 8 imitation deans plugs, charger.

I am posting detailed building instructions to help other newbies!

Options: You can build a custom deck, attach a fishing pole, use it as a rescue boat, you put an rc electric bb gun on top (what I plan to do) for rc combat.

Cheers!
Old 09-26-2008, 12:43 PM
soundguykaraoke50

this is one i used

Name:	Lj21952.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	1041248   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw67487.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	78.0 KB
ID:	1041249   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu62261.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	1041250  
Old 09-26-2008, 12:50 PM
soundguykaraoke50

more pictures

Name:	Zx72549.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	1041254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87152.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	1041255  
Old 09-28-2008, 12:34 AM
HoaRC

ORIGINAL: soundguykaraoke50

more pictures
That's a huge rescue apparatus right there. I will use same design but on a 5 inch size scale.
Old 11-12-2008, 07:59 AM
Thomas Fricke

cheap boats http://www.raidentech.com/scaleboats.html
Old 12-05-2008, 09:41 PM
Traxxas4fun
My Feedback: (3)

typhoon twister? and cheapo rc boat get a tyco one
Old 12-15-2008, 04:58 PM
MKMotorsport

Problem with a "little" rescue boat is- it's not going to help you when you have the unfortune to swamp something really badly. I managed to swamp my older Team XP Enforcer (a heavy boat anyway) last run of the year Thing was bobbing up and down like a pylon, only the nose out of the water. a 20lb boat with 30lbs of water in it is a big problem!! no little toy is going to be able to move that unmanageable mass in any sort of timely fashon. Something like Soundguy's rig with two 550 motors and the nice big boom attachment would have a chance, little reef racer or nikko toy- NO WAY! It took the better part of an hour to get it in even though it was only 10-20 yards from the shore (super deep/cold quarry- no wading out to get it)! Was a pain even getting it in using two fishing reels/tennis ball. I will most likely always bring my kayak (Perception Prodigy10) from now on (didn't have it that day!) there is no substitute for a "real" retrival boat. If you can't afford that get a cheap inflatible like Ron suggested. It's better than watching your $500 engine and $300 worth of electronics get ruined!! Or worse sink! [X(]