Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Off Topic Forum - Boats
Reload this Page >

Fibre glassing

Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Boats Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. ABSOLUTELY NO religion or politics.

Fibre glassing

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 01:52 AM
munro1656

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fibre glassing

I know this has nothing to do with the hobby (eccept maybe taking my cold stuff down to the water for the day) but there are some guys in here that i think would have an idea
I was looking at making my own esky kinda the same as eva cool fibreglass esky for the price you would pay for something so simple is out of control! I think that they would be foam sandwich fibreglass? does poliester resin melt the foam? I was just going to glue up a foam box cove the corners and lay some glass if any one has any input that would be great. are we allowed to do a off topic build like this ?
Old 10-08-2008, 04:53 AM
Dreamin Hemi

Default RE: Fibre glassing

Poly resins usually will melt foam.

As far as your build of this project here, post away!. We all love a good build thread. There are several guys including myself that work with glass that will lend you a hand, some do it for a living, others just started. Just ask lots of questions and have fun doing it. Oh yeah...post LOTS of pictures!

-Scott
Old 10-08-2008, 03:33 PM
munro1656

Poly resins usually will melt foam
Thanks scott well now that slows me down before I even start[] what insulating type material could be used to glass over to make for a good esky?

or could I maybe put some sort of protective layer over foam prior to glassing

cheers craig
Old 10-08-2008, 07:06 PM
kzimmerman

I've never been succesful putting a protective layer over foam and then glassing it. I've tried candlewax, thinned elmers glue, and polycrylic. None of it survived the polyester resin. A much more simpler method, although somewhat more pricey, would be to use an epoxy like the west sytems stuff. You can get it at boat stores. it cures good and hard, won't melt the foam, and is pretty tough, much more resistant to cracking than polyester.
Just my 2c

Kurt
Old 10-08-2008, 07:19 PM
Dreamin Hemi

ORIGINAL: munro1656

Poly resins usually will melt foam
Thanks scott well now that slows me down before I even start[] what insulating type material could be used to glass over to make for a good esky?

or could I maybe put some sort of protective layer over foam prior to glassing

cheers craig
When I use foam, it's usually in plug making. I typically have a layer of Bondo or other type body filler over the foam that makes my barrier. I have seen people using packaging tape and wraping the part to be glassed. Have also personally used latex paint over the foam for my little parts like wheen pants and cowls for my planes. Maybe try to experiment with a small foam part and see what happens?!?!
Old 10-17-2008, 05:21 PM
munro1656

well after heaps of searching and phone calls I found some foam that polyester resin will not melt so I got a sheet 2400 by 1200 so i'll have enough to make two esky's and sell one I have cut out my pieces and glue together and gave all a rub over to blend in joins in and round off corners. Next I cut some 12mm ply and inserted it were hinges and handles will be for a bit of strength I'll be using 450g chop for the lay how many layers would I need??

cheers craig
Old 10-17-2008, 05:31 PM
munro1656

I'm having big troubles uploading these photos[:@] they will begin to upload then stop for no reason