Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Off Topic Forum - Boats
Reload this Page >

The Great American Question

Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Boats Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. ABSOLUTELY NO religion or politics.

The Great American Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 09:05 AM
ryan_t888

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default The Great American Question

Hey guys just a quick friendly question.

For business, the company I work for do receive calls coming from U.S. in to Canada. 85% of our business is done in Canada and 15% is done with the U.S.

Why is it that 80% of the calls from or in to the U.S, people do not say "bye" to finish a phone conversation? It seems the further south = more common. If I talk to people in Canada this three letter word is said 95% of the time.

No big deal just a "Pet Peeve" of mine, or one of them.

There must be a reason this is quite common and not so common here in Canada. I just can't figure it out.

Ryan
Old 05-10-2010, 10:44 AM
gulfstreamI

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: The Great American Question

Are we talking racial profiling here? I had an opportunity to live in both Eastern and Western Canada for two years and I didn't see any difference. You must be getting calls from customers who haven't had their coffee or something.
Old 05-10-2010, 07:31 PM
ryan_t888

Racial profiling, are you serious. There's not much difference from the people in the us vs the people in Canada. I'm simply wondering if there is a reason to this as it is common for me. Maybe everyone understands it as a way of ending a conversation. It's just a pet peeve of mine. I don't take it personally. I'm just wondering I there's a reason for it or it's just a coincidence.

Ryan
Old 06-25-2010, 03:03 PM
Rich404

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ryan,

Try not to take it to heart....I'm not sure what it is.. I live in New York and I make it a point to say good bye at the end of a phone call. Most people I talk to do the same, here there and all around the U.S...

I'm not sure what the business activity is, but it sounds like the customers are irritated or just don't care.

For example, I'm not sure how I end it, but when telemarketers or someone soliciting me on my phone calls me up, I probably don't give them a warm farewell at the end of the conversation.

I'm sure if it was at a non business related call, many people in the states will end the call on a nicer note.

This is just my take on it anyway. It can be a number of things.

-Rich.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:26 AM
siberianhusky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was born in the south and now live in Canada, Sorry to say and its not my idea but Canadians are considered globally to be polite and neat. Where else do people apologize for being bumped into? Americans on the other hand are considered boorish and slobs!
I've done a lot of travelling and almost everywhere I've been people treat you much differently as soon as they find out your from Canada and not the States!
I hate to say it because I am one, but Americans are only number one in their eyes, the global opinion is much different.
Kind of funny that you would notice the difference manning phones!
A long time ago I worked in an Apple Computer call centre, took both american and canadian calls, I dreaded shifts of American calls! Used to come out of those shift mentally beat from all the abuse! Of course we used to get calls from very upset Canadians but usually they didn't call you names and threaten you the odd one did though!
Here is a scary stat that my open a few eyes, did you know the USA has more people in jail than communist China on a per capita basis?
Not that Canada doesn't have its problems, some of them are the opposite of the States but just as bad! At least Americans will stand up for what they believe in, Canadians just roll over and take it! But we're polite about it! Canadians need to grow some balls, but Americans need to lay off the testosterone!
Did half my education in Texas half in Canada, I can honestly tell you that the Canadian educational system from k-12 is much better than the States, I was way behind in reading and math skills when I changed systems, Back then I was at least a year behind, the only reason the didn't put me back a grad was because I had very good grades on my U.S. transcripts! Your University system is WAY better than Canada though.
Don't want to touch medicare, both systems are screwed! OUrs will bankrupt the country, yours you die or go broke of you can' afford coverage! Both countries need to find a middle ground!
Oh well wherever you live someplace always sounds better.
I've never ruled out moving back to the states. If Jen gets a pathology job down there we will move. Be a good move for me as the states protects historic buildings, Canada just demolishes them!
Old 08-05-2010, 09:14 AM
ryan_t888

It's not too often I get to answer the phone. I guess with no secretary the engineering department is a last ditch effort to save our customers from speaking to voicemail.

Ryan