Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Boats > Off Topic Forum - Boats
Reload this Page >

An open letter to Horizon Hobbies, Champaign Illinois

Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Boats Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. ABSOLUTELY NO religion or politics.

An open letter to Horizon Hobbies, Champaign Illinois

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2008, 04:31 PM
subsinker
My Feedback: (61)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default An open letter to Horizon Hobbies, Champaign Illinois

Ladies & Gents,

Let me first state the reason for this letter. I feel it is my duty as an American to support the fighting forces in any way I can. It is not for any personal gain nor do I harbor any feelings towards any one individual or group.

I am a Fire Chief of a local Fire Department and as such my responsibilities are varied. One of my responsibilities I oversee is the station scheduling. There is a group of individuals called "Operation SOS" here that quite frequently uses our fire station day room. The group uses it to package up and send care type packages to the troops. Little things really, that may not mean much to us here means everything to our troops thousands of miles away from home. One of the women involved in the packing of these boxes lost a son in Iraq last year. I have gotten to know a few of them and believe very strongly in what they are doing.

Well, some time ago, I had read a post somewhere on RCU that said how much some of the troops overseas miss not having RC available to them. As we all may surmise, there just isn't a local hobby store in downtown Baghdad. Well, I am here as a patriotic American trying to do all I can for our fighting troops. They are overseas away from their loved ones doing a job that has to be tougher than any one of us could possibly imagine under the most difficult situations. Might I say they are also performing brilliantly and represent the best this country has to offer. I thought about how to best help them out isn any small way I could.

Anyway, I originally wrote to Horizon Hobbies after finding this out and promptly never heard a peep from them. This after being a loyal customer for years to their fine products. Now, I have found out that Horizon (Hobbies) has a program whereby they will donate items to local clubs for meets & such. I procured the address and submitted the proper forms, along with an explanation. I was told in an e-mail by a spokesperson from Horizon Hobby that although they do support the troops they will not be donating any merchandise to this cause. I find this a condradiction in terms. I am appealing to any individual that feels as strongly as I do to write, call, anything you can do to help out our troops.

Does all this mean I will no longer purchase items from Horizon Hobby? Maybe, maybe not. I will most certainly think of it everytime I need a part, kit or what have you.

GOD Bless America & our fighting Troops!

best regards,
Pete Olson AKA "Subsinker"
Fire Chief
Dwight (Illinois) Fire District
Old 10-15-2010, 05:53 PM
lordraptor1
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: An open letter to Horizon Hobbies, Champaign Illinois

try tower you may have better results i have had to fight tooth and nail to get warranty work, missing parts from kits replaced and teh lot, tower has taken care of me first time every time
Old 10-16-2010, 08:13 AM
apache 1

I have a deep respect for the members of the military based over seas.
However I don't feel that the pursuit of the rc hobby is apropriate for a soldier while stationed in an active duty situation for many obvious reasons.
I understand they miss their hobbies, but they likely miss their family, friends and a whole lot more. Unfortunately this is the life of a soldier. They can't be fettered with anything deemed unneccesary or troublesome. Something that uses radio frequencies,(military uses rc's of their own), makes noise, takes up space, has flamable components , attracts unwanted attention or distracts others from doing their jobs, I would think are all no no's in their situation.
They are best supported by the knowledge that we all want them back safe. I for one am getting tired of seeing their young faces in the paper. I don't have to read it anymore, I know what happened and it makes me upset.
Old 10-18-2010, 09:08 AM
Nosedragger

ORIGINAL: apache 1

However I don't feel that the pursuit of the rc hobby is apropriate for a soldier while stationed in an active duty situation for many obvious reasons.
I understand they miss their hobbies, but they likely miss their family, friends and a whole lot more. Unfortunately this is the life of a soldier. They can't be fettered with anything deemed unneccesary or troublesome. Something that uses radio frequencies,(military uses rc's of their own), makes noise, takes up space, has flamable components , attracts unwanted attention or distracts others from doing their jobs, I would think are all no no's in their situation.
They are best supported by the knowledge that we all want them back safe. I for one am getting tired of seeing their young faces in the paper. I don't have to read it anymore, I know what happened and it makes me upset.

Wow all I can say is wow. Talk about ignorant.
I have donated generously to supplying troops with all kinds of things to occupy their minds while off duty.The US military likes the stress relieving effect of books, music,hobbies etc
Old 10-19-2010, 12:13 PM
Nosedragger

subsinker, check out the TAILPIPE in the November issue ot RC Car Action.
Old 10-20-2010, 06:21 PM
apache 1

My opinion is not an ignorant one. It is based on my own military experience and life in the barracks. I doubt that much has changed in the last 30 years and I'm greatly offended by such a flippant comment on an issue that I'm quite sensative to. Books, cd's and games are all acceptable and can be shared easily and stored. Rc toys and their support equipment are another story. I'm sure a 21 year old would love an rc truck to play with off duty. Unfortunately its difficult to supply enough of them for all to share with out causing unwanted chaous and clutter, never mind the expense on Horizons' part. What they like and what they need are different things. A commanding officer would be furious if he saw too many grouped together ,all looking in the same direction with no one keeping 6. Never mind if they started argueing over them. Its quite possible the military brass thinks the same as me and has rejected the offer of such donations.
Subsinker, I think your heart is in the right place and I'm sorry if you don't share my opinion, it is after all just my opinion.
Nosedragger, you how ever owe me a sincere apology, and I'd suggest you think twice about you say concerning others.
ORIGINAL: Nosedragger

ORIGINAL: apache 1

Wow all I can say is wow. Talk about ignorant.
I have donated generously to supplying troops with all kinds of things to occupy their minds while off duty.The US military likes the stress relieving effect of books, music,hobbies etc
Old 10-20-2010, 07:07 PM
Nosedragger

Nosedragger, you how ever owe me a sincere apology, and I'd suggest you think twice about you say concerning others.
I owe you nothing,what the US does to keep moral high is none of your concern or commentary.
You are dead wrong in your postition. Go read the Tailpipe in the november edition of Radio Control Car Action.
Senior editor Kevin Hetmanski along with Castle Creations,JConcepts,Pro-Line Racing,Team Associated and Traxxas have made sure our troops are getting things the need to keep their hobby and moral up.
A deployment is an assignment not a prison sentence, you obviously never spent time in the military.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Nosedragger

Subsinker, your efforts are commendable to such a nobel cause. Contact : Kevin Hetmanski here [link=http://blogs-rccaraction.com/profile_blogs/Kevin_Hetmanski/]Senior Editor Kevin Hetmankski[/link]