Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Time to make the Wife happy...

Old 10-04-2010, 06:25 AM
beepee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Time to make the Wife happy...

My Dubai drive is a Chevy Epica. Brand new. Don't go there.

My wife drives a 2-door '04 BMW 316TI. Not right for kids (ours are chained to a tree in our backyard in Texas). Nice get around drive that little Bimmer is. Someone offered me an upgrade to their one year old 750 BMW (leaving the country) for my wife, but I told them I would have to upgrade my wife first. Now that would be expensive! ... but I digress.

You have got so many SUV-like choices here in Dubai, but I would tend to stay with the Toyotas and Nissans. You could, of course, go with the National SUV of the UAE: Porsche Cayenne.

Have fun!

Bedford
Old 10-04-2010, 07:02 AM
tommygun32

LOL, or save myself some money and buy "the other" Cayenne....the Taureq...

I'm tending to have her lean towards a Nissan or Toyota myself. They're just re-worked so much more for the tougher conditions faced out here.

Although she is test driving a Lumina all this week.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:17 AM
Homebrewer
My Feedback: (8)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I forgot to mention this in my original posting. A neighbor of mine and friend has an old Hyundai Santa Fe. It has 120k mileage on it and he constantly brags how he has done ZERO maintenance to his vehicle other than oil/filter changes every 7500 miles and it keeps chugging along with no problems and has never failed him. I'm a handyman and a very experienced (backyard) mechanic and he's constantly laughing at me for the preventative maintenance I do on my vehicles. He hasn't even changed his tranny fluid or radiator fluid in 120k while I'm replacing differential fluids on my 2 Jeeps every 15k miles per the factory service schedule.

Like I said, If I didn't own two diesel Jeeps (the torque and turbocharging are a necessity in Colorodo's high altitude and steep mountain grades) I'd be driving a Hyundai Santa Fe. The Tuscon is ok but if you drive a Santa Fe after the Tuscon you'll never go back to considering the Tuscon.

My kid brother owns a Kia. Kia is owned by Hyundia if i read things accurately. Kia's prices are less and the refinement and finish are not as good as Hyundai's. With that said, he loves his Kia Sportage and it has been very good to him for the past 3 years.

I looked into a VW Toureg (same as Porsche Cayenne) but there are lots of horror stories about brakes and tires wearing away prematurely and high unexpected maintenance issues/costs. I really wanted the 3.0L Toureg diesel but the horror stories associated with VW's kept me away and as one who owned an 04 and 06 VW Jetta TDI (diesel), I can attest to engineering shortfalls in those engine/powertrains.

If you get an BMW X5, seriously consider and test drive their 3.0L diesel. its quiet, gets incredible fuel economy and should last a long time. most auto magazines are biased againsts diesels and usually report lower than actual mileage figures-they revied a VW TDI and claimed low 20'mpgs several years ago and I averaged 43mpg on mine after it was broken in...they only measured fuel flow into engine for mileage calculations and didn't account for fuel that is sent back to the fuel tank as part of the injection system. My 07 Jeep Grand Cherokee Diesel easily gets 26mpg on the highway on the straight and level, never less than 20mpg in mixed city driving, and gets about 17mpg towing my 4k camper though I did see 9mpg towing at 65mph up a very steep mountain pass ;-) as I passed everyone in the left lane.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:43 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Homebrewer...KJ, XJ, or WK diesels?
Old 10-04-2010, 09:51 AM
TBONE6

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Redfisher thought TBJ would have told you to get the 2011 Jeep Cherokee.
with you on that. the 2011 grand cherokees really raised the bar this year. drive the tucson, then drive the new grand cherokee. it's a no brainer. heck, drive the X5, the MDX, and the Infinity, THEN drive the new grand cherokee.........still a no brainer!
Old 10-04-2010, 10:38 AM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Homebrewer

I forgot to mention this in my original posting. A neighbor of mine and friend has an old Hyundai Santa Fe. It has 120k mileage on it and he constantly brags how he has done ZERO maintenance to his vehicle other than oil/filter changes every 7500 miles and it keeps chugging along with no problems and has never failed him. I'm a handyman and a very experienced (backyard) mechanic and he's constantly laughing at me for the preventative maintenance I do on my vehicles. He hasn't even changed his tranny fluid or radiator fluid in 120k while I'm replacing differential fluids on my 2 Jeeps every 15k miles per the factory service schedule.
wait till it blows up, he wont be laughing anymore- idiot.

sure a car can survive like that but it sure the hell isn't going to thrive.

also note, things you would consider needing to get done, clunks/squeaks, low brake pedal, grinding brakes or pulsating ones, sloppy steering and bad alignment, worn out shocks, tapping engine, blinking lights, broken window motors, broken locks or busted ignition cylinders ect. others (like Mr.putz) may not even consider it a problem as long as it drives.

avoid VW/Audi, thats all i can say, i have seen EVERY THING go bad on them (especially lies they call turbos)

remember ALL cars are junk, buy what you like and hope for the best.
Old 10-04-2010, 12:04 PM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

Man this thread is not very helpful to the OP. Simple facts with no bias or emotion:

The Hyundai Tucson (Kia Sportage) is all new for this model year, so there is not much history on them. Very good pre-views by the auto mags though.

Hyundai and Kia are as Ford and Mercury.

All Asian offers came to the US shores with disdain. And over time all have improved their products to equal or surpass their US / European competition. The same folks bashing Hyundai today were bashing Honda and Toyota in the 70's. Now they own them.

American car mags who traditionally favor European cars has even had to admit that the Hyundai Genesis has entered the luxury sedan market as an equal, for thousands less and a better warranty.

There is no such thing as a federally mandated 3 / 36 warranty. Like all manufacturers Hyundai / Kia have several warranties on each new car and they are honored right up to the last month / mile. They include Basic (bumper to bumper) 5 / 60k fully transferable - Power train 10 / 100k non-transferable - They will even cover wear items 1 / 12k - Battery 3 / 36k. 24hr roadside asst 5yrs unlimited. One odd exception to the basic is the audio system, only 3 / 36k.[]

Although warranties are not required to cover items that have not been maintained properly. The burden of proof is on the manufacturer to show that the failure was caused by lack of proper maint. A lack of proper maintenance records is not proof of a lack of maintenance. A threat of small claims court will usually shut them up.

Old 10-04-2010, 12:19 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: edh13
There is no such thing as a federally mandated 3 / 36 warranty
Yeah, ok dude. Try telling this to somebody who hasn't worked on cars for a living

How many dealerships have you worked in?

ORIGINAL: edh13
A lack of proper maintenance records is not proof of a lack of maintenance. A threat of small claims court will usually shut them up.
Techinically you are correct, but only because it's cheaper to avoid court and fix the stupid piece of crap than it is to go to court and win. You're really new to the whole car thing aren't you?

Do you threaten to sue frequently when you don't get your way?
Old 10-04-2010, 12:48 PM
edh13
My Feedback: (9)

I've never worked at a car dealership. I guess I should have been paying attention when picking my current career path. I'm guessing you do and I assume by your tone that makes you an expert in consumer warranty law. So can you please provide details or language from this federally mandated 3yr / 36k mile new car warranty law you speak of. Other than emission equipment warranty requirements and lemon laws that vary with state I've never run across such a thing.

Old 10-04-2010, 01:05 PM
robwiljas

TBJ there are two federally mandated new vehicle warranty laws, neither of which mandate a 3 year/36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty.

1.The Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act (15 U.S.C. 2302(C))
This federal law regulates warranties for the protection of consumers. The essence of the law concerning new aftermarket auto parts is that a vehicle manufacturer may not condition a written or implied warranty on the consumers using parts or services which are identified by brand, trade, or corporate name (such as the vehicle maker's brand) unless the parts or service are provided free of charge. The law means that the use of an automotive aftermarket part alone is not cause for denying the warranty. However, the law's protection does not extend to aftermarket parts in situations where such parts actually caused the damage being claimed under the warranty. Further, consumers are advised to be aware of any specific terms or conditions stated in the warranty which may result in its being voided.

The law states in relevant part: No warrantor of a consumer product may condition his written or implied warranty of such product on the consumers using, in connection with such product, any article or service (other than article or service provided without charge under the terms of the warranty) which is identified by brand, trade or corporate name... (15 U.S.C. 2302(C)).

2. Clean Air Act Warranty Provisions (42 U.S.C. S 7541 (C) (3) (B))
The federal Clean Air Act requires vehicle makers to provide two emissions related warranties a production warranty and a performance warranty. The production warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle is designed, built and equipped so that it conforms with emissions requirements at the time of sale. The performance warranty requires the vehicle maker to warrant that the vehicle will comply with applicable emissions requirements as tested under state vehicle emissions inspection programs for the warranty periods specified in the law (for model year 1995 and later vehicles, the warranty is 2 years / 24,000 miles for all emissions-related parts and 8 years / 80,000 miles for the catalytic converter, electronic emissions control unit and on-board diagnostic device). The performance warranty is conditioned on the vehicle being properly maintained and operated.

Like the Magnuson-Moss Act, vehicle manufacturers may not refuse warranty repairs under the Clean Air Acts performance and defect warranties merely because aftermarket parts have been installed on the vehicle. The only circumstance under which the vehicle manufacturer can void the emissions warranties is if an aftermarket part is responsible for (causes) the warranty claim.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:06 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Interesting tidbit. Seems ThunderbirdJunkie is wrong about the 3/36 being federally mandated seeing as how he cannot find a law to back that up. Whoops.

In that case, any manufacturer can and should deny any warranty claim that is on a component that has not been maintained per their maintenance schedule and it's up to their discretion and theirs alone.

Cool.
Old 10-04-2010, 01:47 PM
redfisher1974

Even TBJ makes mistakes, Makes him more human[&:]
Old 10-04-2010, 02:36 PM
Wingspam

Okay gentlemen, I decided to join the make the wife happy club....After many hours of reviews about several different models I decided on Aero-works. Now she will be happy, she has something to complain about..
Old 10-04-2010, 02:52 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Wingspam

Okay gentlemen, I decided to join the make the wife happy club....After many hours of reviews about several different models I decided on Aero-works. Now she will be happy, she has something to complain about..
This post has nothing to do with the operation of remotely operated model automobiles.
Old 10-04-2010, 02:59 PM
lee172

who cares?

have you made a decision yet Tommy?
Old 10-04-2010, 05:04 PM
buggyboy2010

LOL, Evertime there is a thread made, I gotta see what TBJ has commented on, If it's something that doesn't make sense, He will make sense of it, Or if it offends someone, He will make it sound inoffensive, Or just make a witty joke that makes everyone laugh.. And also how He talks about himself in 3rd person..

3 cheers for TBJ! LOL

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

Even TBJ makes mistakes, Makes him more human[&:]
Old 10-04-2010, 05:30 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

This post has nothing to do with the operation of remotely operated model automobiles.
Your posts about posts not having anything to do with remotely controlled automobiles are becoming rather irritating. [&:]
Old 10-04-2010, 07:30 PM
ovationdave
My Feedback: (16)

Would it be out of line to suggest looking at Ford, or GM?
Old 10-04-2010, 07:59 PM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

"there are two federally mandated new vehicle warranty laws, neither of which mandate a 3 year/36000 mile bumper to bumper warranty."

There we go again with these 'facts'! They sure get in the way of a good tale!

Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain! [8D][8D]
Old 10-04-2010, 08:03 PM
flapster
My Feedback: (20)

I think making both parties happy is important. Wives should buy any vehicle they want and they should also make the payments.
Old 10-05-2010, 12:55 PM
Desertlakesflying
My Feedback: (28)

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts

I guess humor is no longer allowed on RCU in the car forums either.

Sheesh what is wrong with people now days?

Next I'll be scolded for not being serious enough, and told I should leave the RC community because of it.
Old 10-05-2010, 01:53 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

We play with toys. We are all serious people[&:]
Old 08-01-2011, 11:23 PM
MadManAndrew

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Interesting tidbit. Seems ThunderbirdJunkie is wrong about the 3/36 being federally mandated seeing as how he cannot find a law to back that up. Whoops.
Holy bejesus, since when does TBJ make whoopsies?
Old 08-02-2011, 10:38 AM
tommygun32

WOW!!! Thanks for bringing this thread back MadManAndrew....were you searching for a TBJ mistake or "how to make your wife happy"?

I need to update this thread....with a pic of what 'made her happy'....
Old 08-02-2011, 01:40 PM
MadManAndrew

I don't even remember what I was looking for, it was pretty late in the morning, lol.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.