Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

2002 Taurus SES

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Mambamonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 Taurus SES

Im looking at these, I am looking at one today by my house, its $2975 and has new brakes, and new ball joints and bearings. The A/c is working, which better be lol and the guy said it has 200k miles on it, but all highway. I know its alot but taurus have been notorious for going a long time.

Does anyone have this car? If so how is it, and what do I have to look out for when I am taking care of it.... Do you have any problems with losing coolant or oil and I heard taurus's back springs usually go out with out knowing so what will Ineed to watch before that happens. Thanks for your info guys and I hope to upload pics soon.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:34 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

Default RE: 2002 Taurus SES

i dont know if the engines are the same but my wife drives a 2001 SE - 3.0L auto, shifter on floor

minus:
air compressor seized - busted the strap and she needed a towing to bring it back here.
rear top plates lasted about 1 year and need replacing again.
headlights are not bright, replaced with xenon.
when cold outside(around -15c) you need to slam the doors to make them stay closed(lach freeze even after i oiled/greased them)
cost almot as much gaz as my 4.3L 4x4 Blazer.

plus:
comfortable
you dont hear road noise
well equiped

thats about it, we are looking to sell it.

edit: oh and we paid 750$cnd for it... 150 000km (not milles) it needed front brake pads and a tune-up(check engine coded a missfire) i changed the spark plugs, wires, air filter and did a oil change and the code never showed again.

i would not pay 3000$us for a 200 000milles taurus...
Old 03-02-2011, 03:45 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Dont do it....

And that's coming froma die-hard Ford guy. Tauruses and Contours both, better left for some kid's first car, save for the 2011 Taurus, they really upped the ante on that one, I was shocked!
Old 03-02-2011, 05:53 PM
Mambamonster

Yea well, i dont have $27,000 lol, I test drove it andI took it to my local auto shop and they said just watch the oil and pay attention to the left ball joint since its getting time to eventually need replacement, other than that they said it is fine. So I ended up buying itsaving $675 bucks by trading in my 95 Olds and only paying $2500. Thanks for the help guys appreciate it.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:53 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Mambamonster

Im looking at these, I am looking at one today by my house, its $2975 and has new brakes, and new ball joints and bearings. The A/c is working, which better be lol and the guy said it has 200k miles on it, but all highway. I know its alot but taurus have been notorious for going a long time.

Does anyone have this car? If so how is it, and what do I have to look out for when I am taking care of it.... Do you have any problems with losing coolant or oil and I heard taurus's back springs usually go out with out knowing so what will I need to watch before that happens. Thanks for your info guys and I hope to upload pics soon.

NO NO NO. although the cars are so-so, they are prone to corroded fuel and brake lines, almost every single one will fail at the same time, not even kidding, you LOOK at the lines and they leak.

the springs always blow out, the rocker panels and frame rust to nothing, the pushrod engine breaks springs, the trans is also prone to all sorts of failures.

look for something else for that money. you can get a nice volvo that will almost NEVER rust anywhere, body frame and lines for that price.
Old 03-02-2011, 05:57 PM
Mambamonster

Ilike ya shark and I appreciate your advice, but I must say I am very happy with it and confident that me taking care of it and yes I know i have heard about the back springs blowing out from my uncle, Iknow that this car I will have a good time with, Believe me shark if i could get a volvo C 30 I would but Idont have enough lol Im still in college currently saving for my Fire Equipment. lol
Old 03-02-2011, 06:00 PM
The_Shark

I like ya shark and I appreciate your advice, but I must say I am very happy with it and confident that me taking care of it and yes I know i have heard about the back springs blowing out from my uncle, I know that this car I will have a good time with, Believe me shark if i could get a volvo C 30 I would but I dont have enough lol Im still in college currently saving for my Fire Equipment. lol
na man! get a 90's 850 T5 or 940 they can be had for 2500-4000 beans.

i LOVED my 95 850 turbo, it had 230K on it and not a SPOT of rust even under the chassis. i loved that car and still sad i sold it[&o]
Old 03-02-2011, 06:03 PM
Mambamonster

Kid from my job had a Volvo 240 TURBO that thing was a beast built like a tank, then he got his moms Volvo 97' 850 beautiful car.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:06 PM
The_Shark

Kid from my job had a Volvo 240 TURBO that thing was a beast built like a tank, then he got his moms Volvo 97' 850 beautiful car.
thats what i mean, they are safe, good on gas, durable, rust proof, relaible and not too bad to repair, the 2.3 5CYL is bullet proof along with its turbo, its all aluminum with cast iron sleeves and VVT.

not trying to talk you into one, just trying to talk you out of a tortoise, im a mechanic and see many of them.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:12 PM
Mambamonster

Oh no dude your fine dont worry, believe me someday I might really consider a S60 beautiful car and nothing else really can compare to a volvo or also argubly SAAB, perhaps my only other dream car is a SAAB9-5 last forever except for the fact they havent change the interior for over a decade now. lol
Old 03-02-2011, 06:14 PM
Mambamonster

You also should upload some pics of your 850 I would love to see it.
ORIGINAL: The_Shark

thats what i mean, they are safe, good on gas, durable, rust proof, relaible and not too bad to repair, the 2.3 5CYL is bullet proof along with its turbo, its all aluminum with cast iron sleeves and VVT.

not trying to talk you into one, just trying to talk you out of a tortoise, im a mechanic and see many of them.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:59 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

Yea well, i dont have $27,000 lol, I test drove it and I took it to my local auto shop and they said just watch the oil and pay attention to the left ball joint since its getting time to eventually need replacement, other than that they said it is fine. So I ended up buying it saving $675 bucks by trading in my 95 Olds and only paying $2500. Thanks for the help guys appreciate it.

you paid 2500$us for a 2002 taurus with 200 000milles !? you got screwed so hard its not even funny ...
Old 03-02-2011, 07:12 PM
FahrtAutoRC

ORIGINAL: impalapolicepack

Yea well, i dont have $27,000 lol, I test drove it andI took it to my local auto shop and they said just watch the oil and pay attention to the left ball joint since its getting time to eventually need replacement, other than that they said it is fine. So I ended up buying itsaving $675 bucks by trading in my 95 Olds and only paying $2500. Thanks for the help guys appreciate it.

you paid 2500$us for a 2002 taurus with 200 000milles !? you got screwed so hard its not even funny ...

+1, even if I WOULD recommend that car Id have suggested no more than the amount he SAVED ($650). Hell, i got almost every car Ive owned for less than that in newer shape, even my Ranger XLT with 115K for $2100 and damn thing acts like its good for another 200K!!!
Old 03-03-2011, 06:21 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

yeah, we paid 750$cnd for a 2001 with 150 000km (thats like 90 000miles)
Old 03-12-2011, 02:22 PM
[email protected]

2002 to 2006 taurus are very good and very very strong in a crash also very very good in bad weather or snow. parts are easy to get and easy to work on. I work for a rental car company we had many in fleet. also they have a great a/c system freeze you out if you keep it on high all the time.

oil leaks in the early ones they cleaned it up in later years. transmission are hit or miss really its crazy we did not have a lot of problems with transmissions but saw lots of tsb's on them. people are not nice to rental cars and the taurus did well. also because the radio is in the trunk we have had some problems with that. also for some reason window regulators and door lock solenoid. the one your looking has high miles so keep that in mind. I would try to get dude down on the price more like 1800 to 2000 because of the miles.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:10 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

... he bought it like a month ago... and paid way too much compared to what they sell for around here...
Old 03-12-2011, 05:24 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: impalapolicepack

... he bought it like a month ago... and paid way too much compared to what they sell for around here...
i got my caddy with 135K good interior, a bad rim and bad rear shocks for $1200.
Old 03-12-2011, 09:34 PM
[email protected]

I was looking at getting a new car so took the mini van down to the dealer looked the car up on Galves so I had some kind of ideal what it was worth. I was like ok before we get started whats my trade worth? he came back with $4000 was like $3000 lower then galves. he started to say some stuff and I was already out the door. the hell with that!!! looked at the wife was like sorry babe not going to happen untill we can pay cash for a new car. the hell with a car payment. the BS about it is that he would put it on the lot around $8500 to $9500 plus would have made $1500 or more on the new car deal.
Old 03-13-2011, 07:20 AM
The_Shark

trade in is always a kick in the crotch followed by a knee in the face.