Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Aftermarket Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 07:57 PM
Mambamonster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Aftermarket Headlights

Hey guys I love my 2002 Taurus, and sinceI do alot of night time driving I really need brighter headlights than the ones that come on the stock. I have been having a hard time searching for exactly what I want, so I hope my fellow rcu members can help.

Im really not looking for anything like too exotic, but just something thats a little different from the stock. Heres a pic of a pair I really liked but I couldnt get to the site.

http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=...:0&tx=56&ty=17

Thanks guys
Old 03-13-2011, 08:16 PM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Aftermarket Headlights

You can also just change the light bulbs to something brighter... stuff from PIAA, for example...
Old 03-13-2011, 10:02 PM
[email protected]

my fog lights make a big deference and with a xenon halogen bulb I think you would be golden.
Old 03-14-2011, 04:07 AM
The Hedgehog

Yeah no need to swap out the headlights
Old 03-14-2011, 05:51 AM
ImpalaPolicePack

as i said in your other thread, xenon headlight will solve your problem.
selling the car and getting another one in another possibility....
Old 03-14-2011, 07:19 AM
mudbucket72

yea i had those ultra bright silverstar head lights  the ones that are like 60$ a pair.. everybody flashed their lights at me i think they thought i had my brights on ... i  actually dont think i ever even had to use my brights those head lights were awesome
Old 03-14-2011, 08:55 AM
Mambamonster

Sweet, I'll take a look at those Xenons, but is there any links you can send me for Xenons for 2002 Taurus's. Btw I took mine through the car wash today and the attenna snapped. I guess thats life, but now I have to think about holding the lighst off lol.However anysites or linksyou guys might know about would be great. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2011, 09:03 AM
Eman77

Just keep in mind the brighter the headlight bulb, the shorter the life in general. I ran Silverstars for a while and was disappointed with life span. I then went with XtraVisions, and was pleased (brighter than stock, but decent life).

Here's a chart:
http://assets.sylvania.com/assets/im...31053c9567.jpg
Old 03-14-2011, 10:02 AM
Mambamonster

Okay, and I dont mean to make this a second thread, but my antenna broke off in the car wash, and the part of the antenna that screws in the rubber parton the outsideofthe car is still in, and since I am no car expert with this stuff,is this a serious problem or is thisan easy fix, and since I dont dare mess with fixing this stuff myself, Im taking it to my local autoshop but will it cost me alot?
Old 03-14-2011, 12:14 PM
lee172

ORIGINAL: [email protected]

my fog lights make a big deference and with a xenon halogen bulb I think you would be golden.
He said driving at night time, not driving in fog..

With regards to bulbs, ive tried many 'performance' bulbs and never noticed any difference.

Do you mean xenon (HID) headlights? if so your headlight isnt made for xenons, so will scatter the beam and blind oncoming traffic.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:33 PM
Mambamonster

Well if i had a Lincoln LS I would put Xenons but I have a Taurus lol so I just am getting some Sylvannias Bright bulbs, I found a nice pair so hopefully I can get them soon.
Old 03-14-2011, 12:57 PM
lee172

It doesnt matter car you have, if its not suited to HID's then thats that..
Old 03-14-2011, 03:20 PM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: lee172

It doesnt matter car you have, if its not suited to HID's then thats that..
Correct it really annoys me all the civic ricers around here putting in HID lights in their standard headlamp carriers. You need a specific lens to channel the light properly or else like Lee said it blinds people and doesn't spread out properly. Not that that stops them at all. They also seem to like the really blue lights too..
Old 03-14-2011, 04:56 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no need for HID, they are very prone to failing, and can be a PITA to install, not only that they can get hot and begin to melt/fog your lenses.

just get some good regular bulbs, even the Xtra visons are good. do that and de-fog the lenses with some rubbing compound and a electronic buffer, or that lense repair stuff.
Old 03-14-2011, 05:11 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

on the taurus we had we just put some xenon bulbs like those.
we paid around 25$ at a flea market and they helped quite a lot.

if we had kept it i would have polished the housings this summer. they get cloudy with time...
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	By76420.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	1578874  
Old 03-14-2011, 05:54 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Go cheap. i work at night with my Ranger and threw in a pair of Sylvania Silverstars. people bright-flash me even when they are off. And if you wanna make a light beam that can cut through space itself? throw in some Pilot fog lamps, they work great on a budget price.
Old 03-14-2011, 06:24 PM
Argess

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: The_Shark
and de-fog the lenses with some rubbing compound and a electronic buffer
Hey....that's what I wanted to say. I had an old Taurus wagon and the lenses were really cloudy making for dim night-time driving. I never did try buffing them, but I hear it's supposed to work.

Is it an electric antenna? Usually you can buy the mast seperate and install it. A bit of a pain to do. I can easily see a Dealer charging you 2 hours at $60+ an hour, although it probably wouldn't take an experienced tech/mechanic much over an hour. Last time I bought a mast, it was for a Mazda and was somewhere around $55, but that was quite a few years ago. Much cheaper than the whole thing (electric motor/housing, etc.) though.

And this is what happened to the Taurus wagon.....

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DcCb0RKKKY[/youtube]
Old 03-14-2011, 07:02 PM
Krazy Chicken

im sorry, but i have been driving with my hids in my silverado for 2 years now, and never once been flashed. what most people dont realize when you install them you need to re-adjust the headlight. same thing when you get brighter bulbs. that is why people flash you. when i first installed them i got flashed by people, then adjusted them, and it hasn't happened since, and i still have better light output then stock.

Do you mean xenon (HID) headlights? if so your headlight isnt made for xenons, so will scatter the beam and blind oncoming traffic.
Old 03-14-2011, 07:37 PM
Mambamonster

ORIGINAL: HimmlerHimself

Go cheap. i work at night with my Ranger and threw in a pair of Sylvania Silverstars. people bright-flash me even when they are off. And if you wanna make a light beam that can cut through space itself? throw in some Pilot fog lamps, they work great on a budget price.
Yes those are the pair of bulbs im looking at. They seem reliable and good honest quality.
Old 03-15-2011, 04:12 AM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: Krazy Chicken

im sorry, but i have been driving with my hids in my silverado for 2 years now, and never once been flashed. what most people dont realize when you install them you need to re-adjust the headlight. same thing when you get brighter bulbs. that is why people flash you. when i first installed them i got flashed by people, then adjusted them, and it hasn't happened since, and i still have better light output then stock.

Did you get new lenses? If not, then you are one of the cool guys who put HID in normal headlight lamps whose light doesn't scatter properly. Since it's not DOT approved if someone where to call the police on you, you can get fined for it.

To run HID's you need HID headlamp unit to have the light scatter and reflect properly, that's how it works, it's science.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:32 AM
J.D.T

LB knows what he is talking about PIAA is great stuff. If you got any mechanical skills you might want to add some driving lights, stock headlights and a set of driving lights will be brighter than any wiz bang brand bulb, HID is cool but requires more than just a bulb, you need the module and wiring most times, more and more companies are getting plug and play kits up and running, My first set in the late 90s had a module about the size of a phone book, now some are as small as a pop can. HID lasts much longer and consumes much less energy than conventional lights, if I had a night time driving job I could see spending the money.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:51 AM
Krazy Chicken

i dont have one of the obnoxous colors, mine look white. all i care about is how they compair to stock, and they work so much better. like i said i have had no problems with anything.
ORIGINAL: The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: Krazy Chicken

Did you get new lenses? If not, then you are one of the cool guys who put HID in normal headlight lamps whose light doesn't scatter properly. Since it's not DOT approved if someone where to call the police on you, you can get fined for it.

To run HID's you need HID headlamp unit to have the light scatter and reflect properly, that's how it works, it's science.
Old 03-15-2011, 07:52 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Whatever you do... don't get those stupid ****ing blue HID lamps (or ANY HID lamps). You will have people like me calling you stupid, and wanting to run you off the road when they flicker. There is absolutely NO need for HID, its even illegal in some states if your car didn't come with it in the first place. Just polish the plastic headlight covers, there are kits you can buy that attach to a drill, and buy some silverstars. If that doesn't work, buy some nice xenon fog lamps and mount them on your bumper.
Old 03-15-2011, 08:24 AM
Krazy Chicken

just saying quality kits dont flicker, the ones that flicker are the cheap kits.
ORIGINAL: proanti1

Whatever you do... don't get those stupid ****ing blue HID lamps (or ANY HID lamps). You will have people like me calling you stupid, and wanting to run you off the road when they flicker. There is absolutely NO need for HID, its even illegal in some states if your car didn't come with it in the first place. Just polish the plastic headlight covers, there are kits you can buy that attach to a drill, and buy some silverstars. If that doesn't work, buy some nice xenon fog lamps and mount them on your bumper.
Old 03-15-2011, 09:16 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They all flicker to an extent, the bulb chemistry and design is not suitable for applications where vibration is a factor. The HID lamps on my aunts beamer even flicker a little, and those are pretty far from a cheap kit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.