Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

This one is for YOU, Mr. Wizard

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:24 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: This one is for YOU, Mr. Wizard

ORIGINAL: HimmlerHimself

Might be able to save some money by firing a small capsule from a modified Blackbird at high altitude. Smaller rockets, etc

ORIGINAL: elven wizard

It's time to retire the space shuttle idea. It was neat to watch. The SR-71 was always a cool plane, still is.
or just hire the spacex teams (which I think they are doing)
Old 06-03-2011, 04:59 AM
elven wizard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HimmlerHimself - good idea there

SyCo_VeNoM - that's a good idea too
Old 06-03-2011, 05:42 AM
elven wizard

The Orion Nasa capsule

Boeing
Private orbital flight by 2014 taking people into space

Old 06-03-2011, 05:55 AM
Eman77

One thing to note, see that guy on the left of the capsule. Can you imagine 2 or 3 people in that capsule. Pretty cramped if you ask me. What happen's if one of your crew member's is like the lady at the ''Distraction at Thor'' movie post I did and he or she rips a huge one in there. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10517900/tm.htm How do you breathe enough fresh oxygen with all that methane gas your taking in. Sweet Jesus, Holy Mary Mother God and the heaven's above for crying out loud what do you do ? Is there an emergency escape hatch to let you out in deep dark space ?

LOL - cramped, true. But so was Mercury/Gemini/Apollo, whose capsules had 1, 2, and 3 astronauts in them respectively. Incredibly cramped, this is no different I guess.

Breaking wind is not permissible.
Old 06-03-2011, 05:56 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

yup they are on nasa's payroll already http://www.spacex.com/press.php?page=20110419

According to nasa the cost averaged out to be about $450 million per shuttle mission.(found in a nasa.gov faq)
where the falcon 1 costs $10m, falcon 9 $54m-$59m, and falcon heavy $80m-$125m
http://www.spacex.com/dragon.php seems the falcon 9 is needed for launching to the ISS so in theory nasa will save almost $390m a pop
Lets face it not to talk smack on the shuttle as it was a fine piece of engineering, but for most missions I'm pretty sure its cargo bay was hardly even remotely full so that was a lot of wasted fuel(that was damn expensive) spent launching it.
Old 06-03-2011, 07:18 AM
elven wizard

Eman77 - I can only imagine skinny people fitting in there with certian weight requirements. Cramped, yes very cramped !

SyCo_VeNoM - That is some major cost saving's there ! !I would ASAP shelve the space shuttle too.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:10 AM
tommygun32

I'm pretty sure the fee of lifting something into space via the shuttle should have covered the cost of the mission (that is just my uneducated and uninformed guess...I could be WAYYYY off the mark with that though). Having said that, there are obviously easier and much more efficient ways of doing the same job. I would think there would be quite a few more missions in any one shuttle launch than just what was in the payload bay.

I remember one shuttle mission that not only launched 3 different sattelites, but also met up with the ISS with resupply and additional missions.
Old 06-03-2011, 09:23 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

I'm pretty sure the fee of lifting something into space via the shuttle should have covered the cost of the mission (that is just my uneducated and uninformed guess...I could be WAYYYY off the mark with that though). Having said that, there are obviously easier and much more efficient ways of doing the same job. I would think there would be quite a few more missions in any one shuttle launch than just what was in the payload bay.

I remember one shuttle mission that not only launched 3 different sattelites, but also met up with the ISS with resupply and additional missions.
true but even so the falcon 1 is for satellites, and costs $10m for a launch. So even launching 3 satellites, a crew of 6, and a supply transport using 5 different rockets still is under $200m with spacex's pricing. That would include transporting 117844 lbs of equipment, and supplies (10,000lbs counting the astronauts on the one) Vs the shuttles 59000lbs max payload based off the faqs I found.

Thing the shuttle could do that the capsules I think would have a hard time would be satellite recovery. The shuttle could safely grab a satellite from orbit, and transport it down.

Hell spacex has a best price guarantee even lol
Old 06-03-2011, 09:33 AM
tommygun32

Ya, it's a bit of give and take with that situation....[&:]

Just look at what the shuttle was able to do with the Hubble telescope. Don't think a capsule could have brought up all the different elements and equipment to do all those upgrades they accomplished. Plus think about the length of EVA's that were able to launch out of the cargo hold.

Wonder if a capsule could handle that?
Old 06-03-2011, 09:56 AM
elven wizard

HimmlerHimself - Might be able to save some money by firing a small capsule from a modified Blackbird at high altitude. Smaller rockets, etc

Might be a aerodynamics problem, but with modification like you said it might work as in this picture, the Blackbird is carrying a mini plane of some sort.

Old 06-03-2011, 10:33 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ahh something like http://www.virgingalactic.com/ is doing.
Only thing is that can only hit low orbit from what I read. I doubt it could hit high orbit without alot of issues.
Old 06-03-2011, 10:40 AM
elven wizard

SyCo_VeNoM - I been flowing them for years. It's really cool what there doing. It's makes space that much more fun.

tommygun32 - It will be interesting see how Nasa will adjust back to the capsule idea. I don't think they'll be any problems.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:02 AM
Nik.

the russians quit their shuttle program early on because of lack of funds and went back to continue development of capsules. Look like we are doing the same.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:47 AM
elven wizard

Welcome Nik. - looks like were flowing in the same path as the Russians. That might be a good thing, if it saves a lot of money.
Old 06-04-2011, 11:39 PM
tommygun32

That plane sitting on the back of the Black Bird is an early ROV version of the Black Bird.

Randomly I just watched a show about it yesterday on History channel. I don't know how many were made, but they flew four of them over China and Russia on photographic spy missions. Two were lost while on mission and the other two were lost coming back home. They gave up on the idea. After the wall came down, the president of Lockheed visited Russia. The Russians gave him a box of some broken up pieces of airplane. He immediately recognized the wreckage was from one of the ROV versions. They told him it had been found somewhere in Siberia.

The Russians never realized what they had in their posession.

HimmlerHimself - Might be able to save some money by firing a small capsule from a modified Blackbird at high altitude. Smaller rockets, etc

Might be a aerodynamics problem, but with modification like you said it might work as in this picture, the Blackbird is carrying a mini plane of some sort.

Old 06-05-2011, 04:31 AM
FahrtAutoRC

I am not suprised. i am sure there have been uncountable times in history when "the other side", whichever side that be, had no clue what they were holding!

Side note- suprised to see after my absence this thread is STILL up and going! Has to be the most successful one Ive ever started hehe Winning!

Another side note- Vacation to the henry Ford Museum was awesome! Great fun, pics sometime soon on their own thread. just got my lil bro a Slash 4X4 yesterday too, used, will be off again for most of today doing a full refurbishment for him.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:23 AM
elven wizard

tommygun32 - Very interesting story on the ROV mini Blackbird. HimmlerHimself - I bet there were mystified on what they had in there hands. First maybe thinking is this a UFO ?
Old 06-06-2011, 05:25 AM
elven wizard

The new X-men movie has the Blackbird in it.
Old 06-06-2011, 07:13 PM
elven wizard

Possible alien base on Mars [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sTJt0LJZG2k[/youtube]

Just in - http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_theloo...deo-goes-viral
Old 06-06-2011, 11:20 PM
tommygun32

SNAP!!!! You beat me to it EW...[:@]

I never knew we had a 'google mars'...[&:]
Old 06-07-2011, 05:08 AM
elven wizard

Tommygun - Me either it surprised me ( google on Mars ) Pretty neat find that was...... Alien base .... interesting !
Old 06-07-2011, 05:19 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

He could at least have released the coordinates so everyone could find it...

Video has since been removed.

Edit: found another video of the same thing. Honestly... I have no idea what it could be. Could very well be a digital anomaly, but there could also be something there, like part of one of the many rockets we (and the Russians) have sent to mars over the years.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:15 AM
elven wizard

I hope this is looked into, sure looks like a base of some sort.

here's another video, that works

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n75YFiYsr4A[/youtube]
Old 06-07-2011, 08:11 AM
FahrtAutoRC

It may be a rocket from Earth or it may be a highly pixelated and well-shaped clump of martian ice. I highly doubt it is alien, and it would not be a base being that close to the poles, with Mars being this much colder than Earth one would assume any Earthling bases would be more near its "equator", where there is more warmth. A base near a martian pole would make as much sense as a tropical resort in NorthEastern Ohio...
Old 06-07-2011, 11:30 AM
elven wizard

the video just makes things interesting....lots of possibilities

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.