Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Australia?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2011, 10:31 PM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts
Default RE: Australia?

Just go Shark! But as my compatriot has said prepare yourself. I lived there in the '70's and came back for the love of my life. Sometimes I wish I'd stayed, but it's not America and there are things you'll have to get used to and that may require some effort.

The flora and fauna are very different.

They drive on the left so cars approach you from the right, so watch it when crossing streets at first.

The seasons are the wrong way round. It snows in July in Tasmania and it's 110 degrees+ even in South Australia in February. Oh, sorry, I should have said 40C as they've used the metric system since 1979 so no-one under 40 is familiar with feet and inches. Speedometers are calibrated in kph, distances on road signs are in kilometres, best buy a set of metric feeler gauges!

The people are friendly but robust. Some might call you a septic. (Septic Tank = Yank geddit?) If you can't take a joke don't go but if you can and you can give as good as you can get you'll be accepted.

The cost of living is a bit higher than in the USA but so what? You only really need a couple of meals a day and a place to lay your head. If you get desperate go to Port Augusta and get a job on the Australian National Railway. The wages are not brilliant but you'll get three squares a day and be working in really remote places where there's nothing to spend your money on.

Sell that car of your's before you go. Petrol prices in Australia won't allow you to drive it even if you could import it. Besides the steering wheel's on the wrong side.

You wont need a gun. Australia in 2011 is a civilised place it's not Dodge City in 1879.

The food is good, especially the beef, lamb and seafood. South Australian wine is world class and Australians love a barbeque.

Australians love sport especially Rugby League, Cricket, Australian Rules Football, Horse and Dog Racing and the Trots. They also love a bet! They're not interested in American football, baseball or basket ball.

They're justifiably proud of their army. The RSLs (Returned Servicemen's League) are a major social centre of the small towns and every evening they ring a bell and call for silence to remember their war dead. 25th April is a national holiday, ANZAC Day, which commemorates the Gallipoli Landings of 1915. Keen Australians even get up at dawn to commemorate the day.

The babes are gorgeous because they exercise and watch what they eat, in fact, Australians are a fine looking people.

In other words, it's not America!
Old 05-21-2011, 12:29 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i have checked the import rules and fees with all my belongings its $3,000 or so, i will pass the inspection as long as i repair all the leaks the car has, and after they steam clean it. its the original block and thats all that is really required to pass because it is not OBD-2 (ive read)

but the car is worth 2 times more there, so im bringing it

well im looking for another job to support the funding to move, im pretty dead-set on this, i belive doing the right thing takes the most effort.
Old 05-23-2011, 07:03 AM
Telemaster Sales UK

Received 146 Likes on 123 Posts

Ok Shark, let us know how you get on.