Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

any of you ever get surgery?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 02:20 PM
electricrc68
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default any of you ever get surgery?

how much did it hurt afterwards and before? just curious.
Old 05-25-2011, 04:51 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Default RE: any of you ever get surgery?

I had to have someones knife removed from my knee once...
Old 05-25-2011, 05:18 PM
electricrc68
Banned

oh my god a knife? what did he do to you?
Old 05-25-2011, 06:42 PM
ImpalaPolicePack

i was in a car crash in my impala police pack 3 years ago.
-i broke my lower jaw on both side, and had surgery on both side to put metal plates. it hurted like getting punched in the face by Kimbo Slice on steroids...
-i broke my right colarbone, had a surgery last year but the screws stripped the hole in the bone and the plate separated from the bone.
got another surgery 3 months ago with a bone graft from my hip and so far so good, i should be back to work in the next 2 months after 3 years of readaptation for my jaw and my shoulder.
the shoulder hurted like getting a 500volt wire connected to it everytime i lifted something more then 2 pounds. that was before the first surgery.
when the screws stripped after the first surgery, it was just a weird to feel something loose inside my body.
after the second surgery, it hurted more then anything i felt in my life. my hip was burning from ths inside and my shoulder was hurting my 24/24 even with heavy medication.

i also broke/hurted a lot of things on my body in that crash, so i dont recommend trying to play chicken with a dodge ram megacab pulling a 5thwheel excavation trailler at 60mph...
Old 05-25-2011, 09:53 PM
tommygun32

Had my appendix removed when I was 12.

Hurt pretty good for about a day or two before the operation. It got progressively worse, to the point it hurt to breath and I couldn't walk. The doc said he'd never seen an appendix that close to exploding without actually exploding.

Hurt pretty good for a couple days after that as well. Especially as every time the doc and nurses came to see me they'd crack jokes and try to make me laugh....which was quite painful.

Knock on woody, that's the only 'big' operation I've ever had.
Old 05-26-2011, 12:33 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: electricrc68

I'm guessing someone accidentally or on purpose stabbed him in the knee with a knife. Just a stab in the dark (pun intended :P)

I've had minor surgery to set broken bones, due to downhill mountain biking accidents and skating accidents (boots, not boards), but never had a real surgery until a couple of years ago, when I got a kidney stone.

OMG you can't believe the pain. For a week I was in agony with a pain they say only a birthing mother can know, while my doctor assured me if I kept drinking it would pass. It never did, and it was then realised that due to a peculiarity of my physiology, it never would. So I was booked in for immediate surgery. They went in through the worst place you can imagine (yes, that's right), grabbed it, and pulled it through and out. Now I don't know if you guys have ever seen a kidney stone, but they are not nice smooth pebbles, they are basically rock crystal, all sharp edges. The damage it did to me on the way through was nasty, peed blood for a few days, but the worst part of all...waking up from the anaesthetic afterwards. I woke up and I was like 'oh, wow, no pain, yay!', then after about 2 mins, it came, and oh boy...I have a high pain tolerance, as you can imagine, as a skater and mountain biker, and this pain made me literally scream in the hospital, everyone in the whole hospital must have heard it. They gave me morphine immediately. Don't get a kidney stone, ever.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:27 AM
tommygun32

Dude!!!! OUCH!!!!

I'm almost doubled over reading your story man. Excuse me.....I've got to go get another glass of water. Glad you're better Foxy.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:35 AM
basketballfan60123
My Feedback: (2)

I have had 2 arthroscopic surgeries on my left shoulder; I did not really feel any pain before or after the surgery because they injected me with a pain block to avoid that and after the pain block wore off ( 1 day) they put me on vicodin + I had an ice cold therapy machine on my shoulder for about 5 days.
I am due for a partial shoulder replacement in about 10 yrs if not sooner and hopefully it will not be too painful.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:56 AM
basketballfan60123

ORIGINAL: Foxy

I'm guessing someone accidentally or on purpose stabbed him in the knee with a knife. Just a stab in the dark (pun intended :P)

I've had minor surgery to set broken bones, due to downhill mountain biking accidents and skating accidents (boots, not boards), but never had a real surgery until a couple of years ago, when I got a kidney stone.

OMG you can't believe the pain. For a week I was in agony with a pain they say only a birthing mother can know, while my doctor assured me if I kept drinking it would pass. It never did, and it was then realised that due to a peculiarity of my physiology, it never would. So I was booked in for immediate surgery. They went in through the worst place you can imagine (yes, that's right), grabbed it, and pulled it through and out. Now I don't know if you guys have ever seen a kidney stone, but they are not nice smooth pebbles, they are basically rock crystal, all sharp edges. The damage it did to me on the way through was nasty, peed blood for a few days, but the worst part of all...waking up from the anaesthetic afterwards. I woke up and I was like 'oh, wow, no pain, yay!', then after about 2 mins, it came, and oh boy...I have a high pain tolerance, as you can imagine, as a skater and mountain biker, and this pain made me literally scream in the hospital, everyone in the whole hospital must have heard it. They gave me morphine immediately. Don't get a kidney stone, ever.
I have been through that same procedure; damn I know how you feel
I had a similar procedure as yours called an endoscopy to remove a cyst in my bladder which was bleeding uncontrollably ; they went through the front of my "YOU KNOW WHAT I AM TALKING ABOUT" and it was extremely painful and to top that off before they diagnosed what I had inside of me as a cyst the doctor had to make sure it was not cancer so they had to send the specimen to a clinic somewhere to make sure it wasn't cancer.
I was scared for a couple weeks but it came back negative for cancer.
I had a catheter hooked up to me for about 7 days which was extremely uncomfortable and painful which kept me from doing any funny business with my GF.

Old 05-26-2011, 05:46 AM
Eman77

I had an emergency appendectomy, but I think the kidney stone stories here win.

Ouch.
Old 05-26-2011, 07:55 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Failed robbery outside of a club at about 3AM. long story short, I had big cash with me and he said more or less "Give me your money, your phone and your keys" and I said "Give me your knife". I got what I asked for, he didnt. Chipped bone, damaged muscle and partially severed femoral artery. I ripped my t-shirt in half and made a compression bandage on the wound and a tourniquet a little ways above and drove the whole 5 minutes to the hospital. Needless to say, after everything was said and done I told the cops I did it myself on accident woodworking (STOPSnitchin!!!!) and the stupid wound hurt more after ER surgery the next day then it did when it happened.

Side note-Getting stabbed gives you a real sick feeling in that area, and your stomach, and feels kinda like someone just bopped a nasty bruise with a ball peen hammer. The sound is pretty unforgettable too. Also, I have NEVER made it from the ER toa bed in the back as fast as I did that night!
Old 05-26-2011, 07:57 AM
FahrtAutoRC

I have had to pass a smaller kidney stone Foxy i know your pain on that. Apparently, according to the docs, ulcers of the stomach break down after X amount of time and turn into kidney stones.

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Old 05-26-2011, 08:28 AM
Bwitz_Girl

Different surgerys have different results and heal time. Had surgery( c-section with my daughter), was in the hospital for a week recovering from it on bedrest then had staples in me for about 3 or 4 weeks if i remember right. hurt like hell everytime i moved or had to walk or bend or anything like that. Not fun and probably later in life going to have to go thru it again lol buuutt at least now i know what to expect. Surgery is never fun and depending on the area or type could hurt for a long long time or a very short time. If you are getting surgery what type are you getting and for what if you dont mind me asking
Old 05-26-2011, 11:27 AM
electricrc68
Banned

ouch those sound really painful!!!! i really hope i don't need to go through any of the mentioned surgeries!!!!! im not getting surgery yet, but i may need a minor one on my toe for my nail. my mom has many home remedies for the toe problem i have. she used to use them in India where she was born with success. im hoping they will work so that i don't need to get surgery to have it fixed.
Old 05-26-2011, 11:38 AM
baronbrian
My Feedback: (13)

My appendectomy was worse than my kidney stone.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:14 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had my tonsils and adnoids removed when I was 11. That hurt like hell after, and now the damn tonsils have grown back. []

I had my appendix out when I was 18. I'm a big guy and they weren't in the right spot so they had to open me up pretty good, about halfway across my lower stomach. Hurt like hell before the surgery but not bad afterwards, God I love vicodin lol. I was up walking soon after I woke up, and was out of the hospital the next morning.

I had my gall bladder out laparoscopically when I was 21. Again I had a lot of pain before the surgery but not much after (vicodin again lol). I was out of the hospital the next morning and drove myself home. I also stopped and got some KFC on the way home, cause I hadn't eaten good in a long time since I'd been so sick.
Old 05-26-2011, 01:39 PM
electricrc68
Banned

so surgery isn't as painful as it seems?
Old 05-26-2011, 01:48 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Pain varies person to person, keep in mind, but you can change that too with the right mindset on it. Nothing HAS to hurt, understand?

Old 05-26-2011, 01:55 PM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: HimmlerHimself

Pain varies person to person, keep in mind, but you can change that too with the right mindset on it. Nothing HAS to hurt, understand?

...or the right painkillers.
Old 05-26-2011, 02:07 PM
vega406
My Feedback: (73)

tried to have my X wife surgically removed from my ***** but was a failure..she and the pain are still there
Old 05-26-2011, 02:09 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ORIGINAL: HimmlerHimself

idk what you mean by that. idk how to get something not to hurt if it is intended to cause pain.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:36 PM
Never Enough Toys
My Feedback: (11)

Foxy i am laughing with you all the way on the kidney stone.I did that one three years ago and had no idea of what it was.I had to have emmediate surgurey as well.Aftre all said and done the first therty seconds of release and LOOK OUT I too woke up the whole wing at the hospital.They my friend are not fun.
I've dealt with bach problems since 2000.Two years ago in mid step I sneezed off gaurd and that led down a six month painful trail of not being able to walk more than 10 feet at a time.So this led me to get around in a wheel chair so I could keep working.Turned out to be a cyst for the first surgury to in which I awoke in screaming pain.Something was still wrong so after a couple weeks an off gaurd cough on fathers day topped it off .I bleww 2 1/2" of material of my other disk and went into surgury the next morning.I am proud to say after that one I was ready to jump out of bed in recovery and start walking.After an over night precocunary stay They let me up and I walk the hospital for a solid hour.You could not tear the smile from from face.
My current situaition on May 19 I had to have three bones and titanium plates and screws put in to aliviate crushing of my spinal cord.To further complicacte it I was informed that I was not a normal case.I have very limited use and control of my arms and fingers with minimal improvement a week later.Oddly the pain from the neck is minimal compared to the hiper sensitivity of my arms,hands and random numbness wwith pain.It is really hard to explain.In all time with tell.
Pain is deffinatly different between people and the buffet of meds they may have you on.Too some it sucks to others no big deal,but eventually you will find your own breaking point and YEAHBOY you'll never forget that one.Thanks for letting me share.

Old 05-26-2011, 02:45 PM
Never Enough Toys
My Feedback: (11)

It has to do with how you look at it or deal with the pain.For example smash your hand under a cars transmission from a foot high.Me I just ***** and shake it off and keep working.My mind set is I am here and I and not stopping for this.Other times yah you just got to let it be known your hurt!Pinch a child while there not looking and they just turn to look at you.Pinch them and let them see you they instantly will cry.It was not amatter of it it actually hurt just they know it is supposed too.Just some examples.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:04 PM
eddieC

With the new painkillers and improved anesthesia methods, the pain should be minimal. Most folks have a higher pain tolerance when they're young, but a lot of it is how you think about it. Pain clinics teach this, and it works most of the time.

I've had a few surgeries; appendix, broken ankle (compound), kidney donation, and rotator cuff repair. Worst pain was the broken ankle, Fell off a bike, and the crank crushed the ankle. I passed out at one point & came to screaming. Worst pain post-op was the appendix, they cut me 13 inches cuz it was not in the right spot. (That was 40 years ago, when they let you recuperate normally. Now they kick yer ***** out so some insurance CEO can use the money that shoulda been spent on you healing up, to but a 5th vacation home in Aspen). Sorry, rantjack over! [X(]

Foot/toe surgery shouldn't be too bad. Good luck with it!
Old 05-26-2011, 03:05 PM
jessiej

Depends on the surgery. I have had quite a few, all due to various injuries ranging from combat wounds
to car and motorcycle crashes. As a previous poster noted I think some of it depends on mindset, some on an individual's pain threshold.

Often the physical therapy following some types of surgery is much more painful than the actual surgery.

Are you anticipating some sort of surgery?

jess

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.