Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

What's your favorite Triple DDD?

Old 06-05-2011, 11:14 PM
tommygun32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's your favorite Triple DDD?

I'm sure you've seen the show Diners, Drive-In's and Dives. Personally, I could sit and watch it non-stop. Almost every town/city has one, so which one is your favorite in your area?

Here in Dubai there are a couple really neat places. For Lebanese style food it's "Eat & Drink Restaurant". For Vegetarian Indian there's "Kamat". Lan Kwai-Fong for authentic (and inexpensive) Hong Kong style Chinese (Peking Duck is the best in Dubai). For Northern Indian non-veg there's Ravi's Kitchen (brilliant Tandoori chicken). These are all relatively inexpensive places offering authentic foods. For American Style food, you can't beat Billy Blues and their Texas Mesquite smoked baby backs.

In San Diego it's a very hard choice....there are soooo many really great places, but I feel the chain of "Roberto's" style taco stands really needs a mention and would be my consistant fall back.
Old 06-06-2011, 05:21 AM
elven wizard

Default RE: What's your favorite Triple DDD?

Yes lots of taco places and fast food joints in San Diego There all pretty good
Old 06-06-2011, 09:27 AM
tommygun32

Old Town Cafe and El Indio's are some of my favs for good Mexican. Chewie's used to be down under the Bridge, but it's closed down after he passed away[&o]. (There's a really cool story about Chewy) Excellent carnitas.

There was a place my mom used to take me when we were on holiday back home, Jane's Country Kitchen. They were famous for all their Elvis memorabelia as well as the classic G.I. pics on the walls. Don't know if they're still around but they used to serve this thing called a 'baker's dozen' omlette. 13 egg omlette wth a pound of ham, pound of cheese.....[X(]
Old 06-06-2011, 10:46 AM
elven wizard

El Indio's is a great place, also Ramona north of San Diego has super good mexican food places.
Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Mostly your typical chain places here, but ya cant beat a Swenson's burger. Of course Rose's bar in Randolph has the best wings ever. period
Old 06-06-2011, 11:03 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I thought this thread was about a different kind of triple-D...
Old 06-06-2011, 11:13 AM
J.D.T

He did a couple shows from Des Moines, the B & B Grocery is worthy, great food, a dive type atmosphere but a good family feeling. Deep fried bacon sandwich is good, IMO the best breaded pork tenderloin around. I also like it because you can pick up local groceries and these guys still actually butcher meat there in the store so sometimes I'm lucky enough to get a standing 7 bone there (to make prime rib)

I know he did one of our local BBQ joints called Jethro's but IMO that place is crappolla, maybe because I am a wanna be pit master I don't like other peoples bbq as much as I used to, there are at least two q joints around here that are far better than Jethro's IMO. His Jalapeno Cream Corn is pretty good but his meat is way to dry and bland.

Knockoff of the jap cream corn

26-30 oz whole kernal corn
1 12 oz jar of sliced Jalapenos with juice
8 oz cream cheese
8 oz sour cream

melt the cream cheese and sour cream, if you don't want it to hot just use the juice from the peppers, to get a little hotter dice 4-5 jap slices , if you want it hot and chunky just dump the whole jar of peppers in, if you want it soupy just dump the corn in, if you want more like a chowder consistancy drain all the juice off the corn before adding to the melted mix. Its good in the crock pot and very good when smoked a little.

Made it a couple times now and seems to be a hit. Even put it as a layer in a 7 layer dip thing with good results. Next time I think I'll add some bacon because if something is good bacon usually makes it better LOL.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:42 PM
tommygun32

Nice to see your mind is in the gutter where it belongs proanti.... (joke)

ORIGINAL: proanti1

I thought this thread was about a different kind of triple-D...
Old 06-07-2011, 01:36 AM
tommygun32

There's a place called "The Cheese Shop" in downtown SD that is the absolute best for fresh sandwhiches. I used to work a couple blocks away from it and every payday everyone at work would head down there for that 'special' lunch. From what I understand, it's still there....which would make it over 20 years now. [&:]

Mine never changed:

Sourdough Bread
Smoked Turkey
Jalapeno Jack cheese
Avocado
Sprouts
Tomato
Red Onion
Light mayo and dijon mustard

Small bag of Fritos and Peach Snapple or a Coke
Old 06-07-2011, 05:07 AM
elven wizard

One thing about San Diego there's alot of great places to eat
Old 06-07-2011, 05:43 AM
tommygun32

Fillipi's Pizza Grotto....any one of them, but my fav is the one in San Diego's Little Italy. That one has a nice little store and deli counter as well as the big sit down restaurant. All kinds of authentic Italian stuff available there...even dried Salt Cod.

The Butcher Shop restaurants are THE place to go for Prime Rib. They have 4 different sized cuts of prime rib on their menu, the biggest one is 76oz....[X(]. Cooked absolutely perfectly to medium rare. They dry age their meat for like 25 days or something like that.

Damn....I'm gettins seriously home sick now...[]
Old 06-07-2011, 07:40 AM
dsales

Chiquitos - a great Mexican chain of restaurants. Well it's inbetween a restaurant and fast food place.

Maoz - A little shop in Soho which does the vest falafels ever if you want something light.

Wok to walk - also in soho, you tell the chefs what you want and they make it right in front of you in their awesome woks.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:37 AM
tommygun32

Dude....this Maoz restaurant....is it like a real small shop almost? And they only have like 3 or 4 tables on the right side of the counter and towards the back? You walk in and you're facing the counter, till is on the left side of you, make your order and pay then move towards the right, then watch the guy make the sandwhich. He takes a massive pita, cuts the top off, slides the top into the bottom of the pita and asks you, "hummus?". Then he takes a massive scoop and slaps it into the pocket, then he asks you "fried eggplant?", then absolutely stuffs the pocket full with falafels and hands it too you. Then you slide towards the right and there's this huge array of like 40 some odd additional items you can top your "donner" with?

And it's like the only place open late on the weekends in the area....?
Old 06-07-2011, 09:55 AM
dsales

YES! It's great isn't it? I go there for my 2nd meal sometimes, otherwise it's just not enough to fill you up
Old 06-07-2011, 10:01 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: dsales

Chiquitos - a great Mexican chain of restaurants. Well it's inbetween a restaurant and fast food place.

Maoz - A little shop in Soho which does the vest falafels ever if you want something light.

Wok to walk - also in soho, you tell the chefs what you want and they make it right in front of you in their awesome woks.
I got drunk for the first time in my life at a Chiquitos. Over 20 years ago!
Old 06-07-2011, 10:05 AM
tommygun32

YYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BUDDDYYYYYYYYY!!!!

Been there....How random is THAT??

The BEST Falafal Donners EVER!!!

I'll post the story of how I found that place tomorrow....LOL

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives is just about to come on....that's me sorted for the next couple of hours. [8D]

YES! It's great isn't it? I go there for my 2nd meal sometimes, otherwise it's just not enough to fill you up
Old 06-07-2011, 10:06 AM
tommygun32

So that makes you like 34 now, right Foxy?

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Old 06-07-2011, 07:48 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

So that makes you like 34 now, right Foxy?

ORIGINAL: Foxy

heck no foxy is 87.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:48 PM
tommygun32

So.....about 6 years ago my company tells me they're sending me and a team of guys to London for a 3 day conference. Sweet...paid for holiday [8D].

November in London [:@] does not equal a 'holiday'.

The group consists of me, our CEO, head of sales and two other program directors of our other radio stations. We end up staying at the Hilton on Edgeware road, where the conference is being held as well (btw, this area of London is called 'Little Lebanon").

CEO is really cool, as is one of the other PD's. Whenever we're not in the conference or courses, we're out pounding pavement. Chetan, the CEO and I are constantly eyeing these brilliant little restaurant asking the other guys...wan'na eat here?

I mean, you come from Dubai, to one of the world's capital cities, it's time to explore and discover new stuff, right?!?!

The head of sales is a man who has only been in two places all his life, Palestine and UAE. This is his first trip ANYWHERE in 37 years of life!!

Me, I hadn't had an egg mcmuffin in like 8 years. I want to eat at everyplace we see. Dodgy tiny little places in Little China, Little Tokyo, Little Italy...places that serve the pig doused in alcohol, etc. You get the idea.

Every place one of us points out, the head of sales guy comes up with one excuse or another NOT to eat there. This guy ends up forcing the entire group to eat at either McDonalds or an Arabic place for lunch or dinner.....[X(][:@]. Come one dude, we've come all this way....and all you want is the same ol' crappola we get back in Dubai?!?!?!?! Aaaaarrrggghhhhhh. (And the CEO won't let us split up into our own groups)

Anyway....2nd day of frustration, they end up eating Big Mac meals, etc. I'm refusing to eat and tell them all, look, I'll stand here and watch you eat the stuff, but the next place we come across....I'm eating there.

London is a strange place. For a place it's size and with the action that goes on in that city, everything closes early...even on weekends. By 9 - 10 pm....all the restaurants are closed. So we're walking around late on Friday night, through Picadilly, the theater district, Soho...it's cold...and I'm on a freaking mission!

Randomly, we pass this small alley way and I look down it. There's this massive cue coming out of a the only open and lit storefront we'd seen in the last hour of walking around. OK, lets go check this out.

Get there to find it's an open eatery. Sign up top reads....Falafals. Damn!!! More Arabic food. But I was starving by then and just gave up. At least I wasn't going to hear about eating at this place all night and next day from the head of sales guy.

Anyway, me and the other adventurous guy cue up with all these drunk locals, get to the counter and and make our order not really knowing what to expect. We get handed these HUGE 'boats' of a sandwhich that we go and absolutely stuff to the brim with all kinds of goodies from the condiment bar. Join up with the other guys who are eye balling the crowd and the two lads behind the counter. I start eating this boheamoth, and I wish I could describe it, but let's just say...delicous!!

Halfway through the sarnie, head of sales guy looks over at me and whispers to me...."you see those two guys behind the counter?"

"Yah" says I.

"Do you know where they're from?"

"I don't know.....London?" says I.

"They are Isrealis".....says he....

"Ya....really....welcome to England mate! It's a melting pot of cultures. They're not trying to shoot you here are they? Take a look around fool....50% of the people eating here are Arabs as well....you muppet!" says I.

"Hmmmmm...how is the Falafel?"

"Stunning" says I. "Best I've ever had actually".

End of story, I said to him..."go on, push the boat out and try something new mate!"

So the rest our group got in line and got themselves one of these falafal donners and they loved them.

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

YYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA BUDDDYYYYYYYYY!!!!

Been there....How random is THAT??

The BEST Falafal Donners EVER!!!

I'll post the story of how I found that place tomorrow....LOL

Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives is just about to come on....that's me sorted for the next couple of hours. [8D]

Old 06-08-2011, 12:10 PM
dsales

Haha, good story. Although I expected a completely different story seeing as you were visiting the most dodgy area in Soho late at night. The shops in central London all pay at least £40k rent per year so you know they have to be good otherwise they're bankrupt within a year. I visit at least 2 new places every month.

Talking about Maoz, I walked right past it today:
Old 06-08-2011, 12:26 PM
tommygun32

Haaa!!!....it's changed a bit since last time I was there. Thanks for the pic dsales

Love the the English truth in advertising.....Trashy Lingerie....absolutely brilliant. But this is the other thing I love about the UK (London)....check the 2 windows out right above the divide between Maoz and Trashy Lingerie...and on the far left of the pic. Attention to detail in a quirky kind of way.
Old 06-08-2011, 12:35 PM
elven wizard

Fillipi's Pizza - I go to the one in Poway Tommygun32 It's super tasting pizza. Dsales that Maoz place makes me want to go there !