Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Sony offering free games

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2011, 10:38 AM
-SomeGuy-

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sony offering free games

Their way of saying sorry for the service outage.

http://www.playstation.ca/PSN_Welcom...n.aspx?lang=EN
Old 06-08-2011, 11:13 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Sony offering free games

and loss of all the users data.
very small price to pay for potentially causing a pile of people identity theft
Old 06-08-2011, 12:40 PM
-SomeGuy-

Yeah I agree but what can they do to make it right?

The only thing I would want from sony is to fix my original 60gig, not send me a refurb and charge me 150$ for erasing all my saved data. That policy of theirs stinks.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:15 PM
buggyboy2010

2 ps3 games, 2 psp games and a free month of PS Plus, I don't think it's a bad deal at all. And FYI: There has not been one single report yet that anyone has had charges to their credit cards or identity theft cases.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:42 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: buggyboy2010

2 ps3 games, 2 psp games and a free month of PS Plus, I don't think it's a bad deal at all. And FYI: There has not been one single report yet that anyone has had charges to their credit cards or identity theft cases.
key word yet
what if that info that was jacked is used 1-2 years down the line. It would still be due to that breach, but no one would think about it.
Not like I gotta worry last sony product I have owned was a AM/FM walkman from the 80s
I'd never buy a sony system after I used to repair PS1's and 2's those things were friggin nightmares with the 13 or so revisions (been 6 years or so since I quit repairing them)
Xbox's were simple in comparison (Don't own one of those either, and won't )
Old 06-10-2011, 06:29 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No reports according to Sony. It took Sony like a week to even admit there was a problem. lulzsec did get cc numbers, they DID. There is no arguing this fact. They knew which server banks to hit, and penetrated deep enough to get to them. Sony is sidestepping while they scramble for damage control by offering this bull**** deal. Yes, there have been reports, google it. Sony still refuses to divulge how much data was actually compromised.

Seriously, 5 crappy ps3 games to choose from, and 4 crappy psp games to choose from? This is not a good deal. 30 days free PlayStation Plus? HA! I spent $300 on this system, some bargain bin game downloads are not going to put my mind at ease.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:34 PM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

key word yet
what if that info that was jacked is used 1-2 years down the line. It would still be due to that breach, but no one would think about it.
Not like I gotta worry last sony product I have owned was a AM/FM walkman from the 80s
I'd never buy a sony system after I used to repair PS1's and 2's those things were friggin nightmares with the 13 or so revisions (been 6 years or so since I quit repairing them)
Xbox's were simple in comparison (Don't own one of those either, and won't )
Actually, the ps3 is a REALLY stable system compared to the 360. These newer generation systems are basically supercomputers running a linux shell, very easy to repair unless there is a mechanical problem.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:22 PM
HJJFFFAA

>supercomputers
>512MB global RAM.
>GDDR3
>Single core and tricore
>GPUs based on architectures from 2005.
>7800 and X1600
>supercomputers.

Damn then what's this laptop with an i7-740QM and a GTX 460m? Alien technology?
Old 06-10-2011, 07:43 PM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

Overpriced garbage.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:44 PM
DarkFire989

I have the i7-720QM and 5850m. It is.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:50 PM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: DarkFire989

I have the i7-720QM and 5850m. It is.

ORIGINAL: The Hedgehog

Overpriced garbage.
Old 06-10-2011, 08:43 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Why does this always turn into a hardware war?
Old 06-11-2011, 02:17 AM
Foxy

The PS3's cpu is highly advanced compared to current home computer chips, and even those found in some midrange systems, I don't know the details, but I know that it caused them to be selling ps3s at a loss to start with.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:36 AM
proanti1

>supercomputers
>512MB global RAM.
>GDDR3
>Single core and tricore
>GPUs based on architectures from 2005.
>7800 and X1600
>supercomputers.

The PS3 uses a processor cell that consists of 8 processors, it is capable of 230 gigaflops (2 teraflops including the GPU). Your little i7 is rated at just over 100. A flop directly translates to how a processor can perform. Currently, the i7 is the fastest personal computer processor, which makes anything faster (a ps3) a supercomputer. An Intel i7 is garbage, its a gimmick that you cannot utilize with a laptop. There is a reason the guys at MIT built the fastest computer in the world (at the time) out of ps3's. The processors in an xbox are rated at about 240 gigaflops.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:39 PM
HJJFFFAA

The PS3 still only has 256MB of video RAM. Even if the hardware was truly as awesome as people seem to think, it'll be crippled by that alone. Having nowhere to store the frames you just rendered pretty much means you haven't rendered anything.
Old 06-11-2011, 12:47 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

The PS3 still only has 256MB of video RAM. Even if the hardware was truly as awesome as people seem to think, it'll be crippled by that alone. Having nowhere to store the frames you just rendered pretty much means you haven't rendered anything.
video card is the choke point on most systems, even PC's
Old 06-11-2011, 02:04 PM
HJJFFFAA

Yes, I know. The point is that the hardware that these systems are built with is mostly obsolete.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:06 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

.... Anything five years old is obsolete. Anything two years old.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:07 PM
proanti1

First off, it uses has 512mb of video ram. The integrated GPU in the PS3 is so incredibly fast and efficient that it does not need all that much ram to operate smoothly. When you have a system that can generate frames as fast as they can be posted, there is no need for 2 gigs of memory. Even though the PS3 and PC's are computers, they are not the same thing. The only reason for 4 gigs of RAM in some video cards is because they need it. PC's are not designed to run games, they are based on 30 year old technology. An ass load of ram is just a bandaid. Game consoles do not need that much to begin with, so no reason for the manufacturers to waste the money on it.
Old 06-11-2011, 02:19 PM
HJJFFFAA

That made no sense whatsoever. And what graphics card do you know of that actually has 4GB of RAM?
Old 06-11-2011, 02:57 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

Actually, the NVIDEA Tesla C1060 Has 4 gigs of GDDR3 memory. Although it's a bit expensive at $1400, But there are cards with 4 gigs of memory.

I tried to download the games to my PS3, and was only able to get one, anyone else have this problem? (although I have never downloaded a game from the Play Station network before now, soI am not discounting User error!!)

Craig.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:10 PM
HJJFFFAA

Tesla GPUs are not for gaming. They're built specifically double precision floating point calculations, useful for CAD. There isn't one graphics card out currently that isn't a CAD card that has more than 2GB of memory. And no, 2GB of RAM on a video card is NOT useless if you're driving texture heavy games with lots of anti-aliasing at resolutions above 1920x1080.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:28 PM
SeaJay
My Feedback: (6)

What....

You meant to tell me that I couldn't run Half Life 2 Death Match or Call of Duty on this fourteen hundred dollar graphics card??? What a Rip..

I guess I need to cancel the Order from the computer store!!

I just finished reading the Specs on that card, and it isn't even a graphics card.. I wonder why they have it in the Graphics card section of the retailers web site..

I really need to upgrade my Vid card, but they are updated / Outdated so fast.. I have no clue as to what to get.. I typically like to go with the GE Force GPU, as opposed to the ATI, simply because I had a bad experience with an ATI card about 10 years ago.. (yes, I carry a grudge for a long time) Although I am liking the ability of the ATI cards being able to run up to 6 monitors, for that Video Surround feel.. But Alas, I don't have the money for 6 monitors anyway, ut thought about 3 side by side!

Craig.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:36 PM
proanti1

Tesla GPUs are not for gaming. They're built specifically double precision floating point calculations, useful for CAD. There isn't one graphics card out currently that isn't a CAD card that has more than 2GB of memory. And no, 2GB of RAM on a video card is NOT useless if you're driving texture heavy games with lots of anti-aliasing at resolutions above 1920x1080.
Ok, 2gb, since you want to get technical on the uses of each card. My point being, if the GPU doesn't need enormous amounts of ram to be able to perform, there is really no reason to consider it a crippling factor.
Old 06-11-2011, 03:51 PM
HJJFFFAA

But it is...it directly affects performance in applications.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.