Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Ok what on earth is this?!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 01:04 PM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Ok what on earth is this?!

nuke it from orbit
Old 08-21-2011, 03:36 PM
G4guy
My Feedback: (13)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: mechanizeddeath

nuke it from orbit
It's the only way to be sure............Ripley!!
Old 08-21-2011, 04:03 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: NOVAMEGA

It's a silverfish ....... They eat books
nope its not a silver fish I have those in the house from time to time in the basement

That is a silver fish

The thing Sheo has is a house centipede(like someone else said also sometimes called a thousand legger) we get them quite often in winter around here due to it being an older house, and when it gets cold once the heaters go on they run out. Actually saw one at work last night running around. As for poisonous I don't thing they could cause harm to a human, or anything else bigger than a bug.

Centipedes usually are found in damp, dark places, such as under stones, leaf mulch, or logs. Indoors, centipedes may occur in damp areas of basements, closets, or bathrooms, or anywhere in the home where insects occur. During the day they hide in dark cracks and crevices, coming out at night to search for insects to eat.
I sometimes find the reaction people have to them hilarious I've seen grown men jump like a little kid when they run out
Maybe its used to be fascinated with insects when I was a kid, and would catch anything, and everything I saw (even had a black widow at one point, scared the crap out of me when I found out what it was ) that they don't bother me. Only insects I hate are roaches(due to their reproductive, and invasive abilities, otherwise I'm facinated with them), and bees(was stung way too many times as a kid)
Old 08-21-2011, 06:52 PM
iexion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've seen those before ( except the ones we founds we're 4 inches long ). We've nick named them "ultra megas"
Old 08-21-2011, 08:39 PM
Warbirdguy

Last year, I got into bed and ran my arm under my pillow. When I laid my head down on the pillow I felt something sting my arm close to my armpit. I jerked my arm out and one of those came flying out and landed on the sheet. I had nothing to kill it with but a bottle of water..started banging away at it. Finally killed it. My wife came in and wanted to know what was going on. I showed her and she freaked the heck out. Left a small place like a mosquito bite but that was all. Im still here so dont think it was posinous. And yes, you can see Im in TN. That was the only one Ive seen. It was about 1 1/2 long. We see brown scorpions in the house sometimes.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:07 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: iexion

We've seen those before ( except the ones we founds we're 4 inches F%#$ing long ). We've nick named them ''ultra megas''
Haha, ULTRA MEGA
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3Fthya-w1U[/youtube]
Old 08-22-2011, 04:44 AM
tommygun32

ALL centepids carry some sort of poison. Majority of them though are more scared of you than you are of them and will scatter. Also, the majority of them aren't really any more poisonous than say an ant bite or bee sting.

ORIGINAL: sirdrakejr

I have heard that they were poisonous. Are they?
Frank
Old 08-22-2011, 06:46 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: G4guy

ORIGINAL: mechanizeddeath

nuke it from orbit
It's the only way to be sure............Ripley!!
ROFL! Gotta love the Aliens reference.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:53 AM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

nope its not a silver fish I have those in the house from time to time in the basement

That is a silver fish

The thing Sheo has is a house centipede(like someone else said also sometimes called a thousand legger) we get them quite often in winter around here due to it being an older house, and when it gets cold once the heaters go on they run out. Actually saw one at work last night running around. As for poisonous I don't thing they could cause harm to a human, or anything else bigger than a bug.

Centipedes usually are found in damp, dark places, such as under stones, leaf mulch, or logs. Indoors, centipedes may occur in damp areas of basements, closets, or bathrooms, or anywhere in the home where insects occur. During the day they hide in dark cracks and crevices, coming out at night to search for insects to eat.
I sometimes find the reaction people have to them hilarious I've seen grown men jump like a little kid when they run out
Maybe its used to be fascinated with insects when I was a kid, and would catch anything, and everything I saw (even had a black widow at one point, scared the crap out of me when I found out what it was ) that they don't bother me. Only insects I hate are roaches(due to their reproductive, and invasive abilities, otherwise I'm facinated with them), and bees(was stung way too many times as a kid)
Fear of segmented exoskeletal creatures is a vestigial genetic safety mechanism. If you believe in evolution (don't want to exclude or upset anybody, jus in case), then you probably heard that all mammals on earth except the dolphins and whales basically evolved from amphibians and mouse like animals after the death of the dinosaurs. At that time, most stinging insects were still large and extremely fatal to our mousy ancestors. Self preservation is the strongest instinct any living creature has (except man and lemmings of course) and the instinctual fear of large stinging insects, brightly coloured insects, some arthropods, snakes, arachnids, scorpids, etc, is something that has stayed with us from millions of years ago. There is evidence (And I think Syco here is case in point, plus a couple of kids I saw on the beach other day playing with a praying mantis!) that it is slowly being phased out of our genetics as time goes by, but many of us still have it, particularly females as their job was traditionally protecting the young.

Ah, isn't nature interesting.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:53 AM
tommygun32

Yes indeed Foxy....yes it is...
Old 08-22-2011, 12:17 PM
meef rustler

ORIGINAL: Foxy

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

That is a silver fish

Fear of segmented exoskeletal creatures is a vestigial genetic safety mechanism. If you believe in evolution (don't want to exclude or upset anybody, jus in case), then you probably heard that all mammals on earth except the dolphins and whales basically evolved from amphibians and mouse like animals after the death of the dinosaurs. At that time, most stinging insects were still large and extremely fatal to our mousy ancestors. Self preservation is the strongest instinct any living creature has (except man and lemmings of course) and the instinctual fear of large stinging insects, brightly coloured insects, some arthropods, snakes, arachnids, scorpids, etc, is something that has stayed with us from millions of years ago. There is evidence (And I think Syco here is case in point, plus a couple of kids I saw on the beach other day playing with a praying mantis!) that it is slowly being phased out of our genetics as time goes by, but many of us still have it, particularly females as their job was traditionally protecting the young.

Ah, isn't nature interesting.

Not true...
Fear is proven to be learned. All fears. I played with insects and stuff when I was younger, but now that I know what they do.... Lets say I will never to touch them. It is not in our genetics to fear.
Old 08-22-2011, 12:57 PM
The Hedgehog

ORIGINAL: meef rustler

Not true...
Fear is proven to be learned. All fears. I played with insects and stuff when I was younger, but now that I know what they do.... Lets say I will never to touch them. It is not in our genetics to fear.
Where did you find this fact out? That ALL fears are LEARNED?
Old 08-22-2011, 01:27 PM
meef rustler

AP biology and AP psychology. I've actually done a project on where fear comes from. We get fear from observing. When that spider bites you or someone else you may develop a fear of it. Many fears come from tv and movies. Why do you think people fear "ghosts"? Amphibians do not fear ghosts. Explain how you pass a concept through genetics. Learning fear is a trait for survival, because having fears keeps us safe. But you are not born fearing things. Someone locked in a box from birth to death would fear nothing, because they have not been exposed. Therefore, they have not learned to fear anything.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:29 PM
meef rustler

The only thing related to fear that we are born with is the capacity to learn to fear.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Foxy

There certainly are various schools of thought on this, but consider this...

In a classical experiment, the American psychologist Marting Seligman associated an aversive stimulation (a small electric shock) to certain pictures (Masci). Two to four shocks were enough to establish a phobia to pictures of spiders or snakes, while a much larger series of shocks was needed to cause phobia to pictures of flowers, for example (Masci).
There is empirical evidence of human beings having a predisposition to fear dangerous insects and the like. You certainly have no grounds to simply state 'not true' and that all fears are learned. I'll give you stimulated. You have to remember that we are taught primarily by our parents, who tell us that dangerous insects are dangerous. Why don't we question that, while we do question other instructions? Think about it, it's not black and white.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:38 PM
Foxy

The only thing related to fear that we are born with is the capacity to learn to fear.
This a blanket statement with no merit.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:42 PM
Foxy

AP biology and AP psychology. I've actually done a project on where fear comes from. We get fear from observing. When that spider bites you or someone else you may develop a fear of it. Many fears come from tv and movies. Why do you think people fear ''ghosts''? Amphibians do not fear ghosts. Explain how you pass a concept through genetics. Learning fear is a trait for survival, because having fears keeps us safe. But you are not born fearing things. Someone locked in a box from birth to death would fear nothing, because they have not been exposed. Therefore, they have not learned to fear anything.
What you refer to here has more about human sentience. I think therefore I am. The reason an amphibian has no fear of ghosts is because it has no concept of death. Humans are the only animal on the planet with the ability to knowingly commit suicide. Your example of someone locked in a box is irrelevant. Babies don't survive locked in a box anyway. A perfectly healthy baby separated from its mother, yet given sufficient nutrients will very quickly die without human contact. I propose that if it lived long enough to become conscious of its own existence, when released into the world, it would fear everything. You are very young to have such strong opinions, with few years to consider the evidence. Don't believe everything you are told/read.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:46 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

AP biology and AP psychology. I've actually done a project on where fear comes from. We get fear from observing. When that spider bites you or someone else you may develop a fear of it. Many fears come from tv and movies. Why do you think people fear ''ghosts''? Amphibians do not fear ghosts. Explain how you pass a concept through genetics. Learning fear is a trait for survival, because having fears keeps us safe. But you are not born fearing things. Someone locked in a box from birth to death would fear nothing, because they have not been exposed. Therefore, they have not learned to fear anything.
There have also been studies that have shown that certain frequencies of sound can stimulate a portion of the brain the makes the person feel anxiety or dread/fear. These frequencies are the same as the ones generated by large cats when they growl, as well as sounds made by other large mammals. People can experience these feelings of dread without ever hearing a large cat, then being introduced to the sound. Fear is entirely chemical, and is generated by a protein called stathmin. Genetic predisposition is a proven fact.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:47 PM
meef rustler

The baby would never be released from the box. I showed this to my dad, whom has a masters degree in biology. He said you guys are morons. Just saying what he stated.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:50 PM
Foxy

lol, rubbish. If your dad had a masters degree in biology, he certainly wouldn't disregard what I wrote and call me a moron. Please don't lie.

If the baby was never released from the box how do you know what it fears and what it doesn't? This is an experiment that can not have a conclusion and therefore breaks the first rule of science. Ask your dad.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:52 PM
proanti1

The baby would never be released from the box. I showed this to my dad, whom has a masters degree in biology. He said you guys are morons. Just saying what he stated.
Dr Mengele, the baby would die, it would feel a constant sense of fear and abandonment.
Old 08-22-2011, 01:58 PM
Foxy

The fact that we are losing this predisposition to fear is not under dispute, in fact, that was my original point. Anyway, I'm going to bed

I might continue this tomorrow with my theory that the unused space in our brains is for genetic learning. we only have 70 years to accomplish something, then someone has to pick up our work where we left off. That won't be long enough to say...develop faster than light travel (just an example, I'm fully aware relativity prevents it), imagine what we could accomplish if we were one day born (or at least naturally developed in our very early years) higher understandings of mathematics and physics? I'd lie to think that's where evolution will take us.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:04 PM
meef rustler

lol, rubbish. If your dad had a masters degree in biology, he certainly wouldn't disregard what I wrote and call me a moron. Please don't lie.

If the baby was never released from the box how do you know what it fears and what it doesn't? This is an experiment that can not have a conclusion and therefore breaks the first rule of science. Ask your dad.
Yea he would.
Black holes, etc are theories and cannot be physically tested. So, how do we know what the actually do? The baby in a box may be a bad theory.
We have a small part of our brain called the amygdala, which is responsible for LEARNING and EXPRESSING fear. Fears are observed by seeing, hearing, etc something "bad" happening to someone or it happening to your self and you will then fear what caused it.

Your whole theory is bogus anyways... We did not come from amphibians.....
Old 08-22-2011, 02:08 PM
proanti1

Yea he would.
Black holes, etc are theories and cannot be physically tested. So, how do we know what the actually do? The baby in a box may be a bad theory.
We have a small part of our brain called the amygdala, which is responsible for LEARNING and EXPRESSING fear. Fears are observed by seeing, hearing, etc something ''bad'' happening to someone or it happening to your self and you will then fear what caused it.

Your whole theory is bogus anyways... We did not come from amphibians.....
Wow. Just wow. You have some studying to do.

It is well known and supported theory that land animals evolved from ancient amphibians. Saying otherwise is just stupid.
Old 08-22-2011, 02:13 PM
meef rustler

THEORY!
So, you are telling me to discredit my faith?
Based on a theory, when I see it I'll believe it. The only thing I believe in about evolution is the natural selection in a species. But in no way do I believe that we came from amphibians.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.