Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

"Senna" Documentary

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2011, 10:14 AM
Tjettzky

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Senna" Documentary

I had to drive a while to get to the closest theatre showing it this past weekend, but it was definately worth the trip. If you haven't seen it, figure out where within a 4-hour radius of where you live it is playing and get in the car (besides my 2-hour drive, in the few seats around me there were guys that had driven from 4 and 5 hours away). What a phenomenal, phenomenal movie. My mother was/is a huge fan of Ayrton (she taught all the kids to love F1 and we had a cat named Ayrton) but he died when I was only 14 so I never had a chance to truly appreciate him when he was alive. Now I have a much greater understanding of the man and what he did in his life. You don't have to know who he is, you don't have to love racing, you don't have to like documentaries to enjoy this, it is really well done. Quit reading this and go see it!
Old 08-30-2011, 10:24 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE:

I am going to see it this Saturday night w/ Skip Barber, Sam Posey, and Bob Sharp...

http://www.limerock.com/index.php?op...article&id=318
Old 08-30-2011, 10:37 AM
HJJFFFAA

Default RE:

IMO Ayrton may have had talent but he sure didn't show it. He had no sportsmanship at all and was all over a jerk. I recall him intentionally destroying another driver's car simply to keep him from winning. That's a despicable act as it put that driver's life in danger all for his own selfish reasons. A real tool, I'd say.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Lunchboxer

Default RE:

Ha.. I don't know about sportsmanship as that can be debatable.. but saying that he didn't show talent.. what? 3X F-1 champion?? ha..
Old 08-30-2011, 11:29 AM
J.D.T

Default RE:

mainly the wrecking was done on Prost, they battled hard in the early 80s and eventually Prost wrecked Senna to win the 89 championship and Senna wrecked Prost to win in 1990 both incidents in Japan if memory serves me
Ayrton was a stand up guy, in 1992 at the French Grand Prix he stopped during the race to attend to an injured driver, he ran across the racetrack with no regard for his own safety, he was a living legend, now that he is gone his legacy is even greater, in 2009 over 200 + living Grand Prix drivers rated him the greatest of all time.
Lets all hope and pray he stays the last man to ever loose his life in an F 1 car.
At least he had one year with FORD power so he allready knew what was in store for the afterlife
Old 08-30-2011, 11:32 AM
Tjettzky

Default RE: RE:

ORIGINAL: HJJFFFAA

IMO Ayrton may have had talent but he sure didn't show it. He had no sportsmanship at all and was all over a jerk. I recall him intentionally destroying another driver's car simply to keep him from winning. That's a despicable act as it put that driver's life in danger all for his own selfish reasons. A real tool, I'd say.
Perhaps you should see the movie for a more detailed look at the overall life of said "jerk"...anyway Prost turned into him...twice.

I'm curious, do you have a favorite NASCOW Driver? How many cars did everyone's beloved Dale Sr assist in leaving a race prematurely? Bumpin' is Racin'?
Old 08-30-2011, 12:19 PM
-SomeGuy-

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aNmqn3heGgE[/youtube]
Old 08-30-2011, 07:22 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ThunderbirdJunkie is about to piss a lot of people off.
ORIGINAL: Tjettzky

Perhaps you should see the movie for a more detailed look at the overall life of said ''jerk''...anyway Prost turned into him...twice.

I'm curious, do you have a favorite NASCOW Driver? How many cars did everyone's beloved Dale Sr assist in leaving a race prematurely? Bumpin' is Racin'?
OK, so since somebody doesn't deify Ayrton Senna, they're a NASCAR lover?

Dale Sr. had a much longer career than Senna, if you're going to compare them. He avoided dying a lot longer, and won a lot more. Wouldn't that make him the better driver? After all, you're implying that some mouth-breathing hillbilly from the South isn't as good at driving as some other guy from across a large ocean.

As with all biographies, this one is likely flawed and shows only the greatness inherent in all individuals, in this case, Senna. You act as though as the man never did wrong and was the second-coming of Jesus, when in reality, he just drove fast cars around a race track faster than some other people.

This reminds ThunderbirdJunkie of the movie theater clearing out after the last showing of The Fast and the Furious a decade ago...rusty 1991 Camrys and mom's new minivan all leaving the parking lot trying to go fast and dreaming of NAWZ...only this time it's a eulo-er, documentary of a guy that drove cars, and now somebody is talking about the guy like they were lifelong friends.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Default RE:

I love how Nascar just HAD to be brought into it. If its playing near by Ill see it but im not going to go out of my way. Does it come out on blueray?
Old 08-31-2011, 12:33 AM
dsales

That's how racing was done back then, crashing each other out was normal. Now the FIA are so strict it gets in the way of any proper racing.

The competition was also much greater between the teams, anyone watch F1 on the BBC? Before every race they gather up the team principles together and have a chat, back then this would never have happened, nor were the drivers so 'open'

Still, I think the biggest mistake in F1 was banning the smoking sponsors, that's were all the money came from. Subsequently we've lost a lot of testing, tyre manufacturers and from V10's are going to 4 cylinder turbos. At the current rate it just doesn't seem sustainable.
Old 08-31-2011, 07:38 AM
Lunchboxer

I am sure it will be on video in the future.. but not yet..

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

I love how Nascar just HAD to be brought into it. If its playing near by Ill see it but im not going to go out of my way. Does it come out on blueray?
Old 08-31-2011, 10:50 AM
Tjettzky

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ThunderbirdJunkie is about to piss a lot of people off.
ORIGINAL: Tjettzky

Perhaps you should see the movie for a more detailed look at the overall life of said ''jerk''...anyway Prost turned into him...twice.

OK, so since somebody doesn't deify Ayrton Senna, they're a NASCAR lover?

Dale Sr. had a much longer career than Senna, if you're going to compare them. He avoided dying a lot longer, and won a lot more. Wouldn't that make him the better driver? After all, you're implying that some mouth-breathing hillbilly from the South isn't as good at driving as some other guy from across a large ocean.

As with all biographies, this one is likely flawed and shows only the greatness inherent in all individuals, in this case, Senna. You act as though as the man never did wrong and was the second-coming of Jesus, when in reality, he just drove fast cars around a race track faster than some other people.

This reminds ThunderbirdJunkie of the movie theater clearing out after the last showing of The Fast and the Furious a decade ago...rusty 1991 Camrys and mom's new minivan all leaving the parking lot trying to go fast and dreaming of NAWZ...only this time it's a eulo-er, documentary of a guy that drove cars, and now somebody is talking about the guy like they were lifelong friends.
My response wasn't to incite a NASCOW vs. F1 debate. I watch NASCOW races. They are difficult to debate since they are very different beasts (but I'll go ahead and do it anyway ). My point was that HJJFFFAA's outcry that caused contact to win made me wonder if he were a NASCOW fan due to the fact that, after all, NASCOW has historically been rather bumber-car-esque and has never shied away from that image. To be furious with one and yet cheer the other would be a curious action.

As for the Dale comment, I agree that Dale Sr was a very talented driver. I never said he wasn't, but his legacy is one of "Intimidation". He was not afraid to give someone a "love tap" at speed for the sake of his own ambitions (Let's not forget that he has already spawned his own ESPN movie). Also, MY OPINION (as worthless as it may be), as to why Dale should not be on the same pedestal reserved for a Senna (or aSchumacher, a Fangio, et al..) is that he was dominant in a league where the talent wasn't in his class. Of course there were talented drives in NASCOW in his era, but the sport was young and the talent pool was rather thin. Dale was a great driver in a crowd made up of mostly pretty good drivers. Formula One has always found the greatest drivers the world had to offer and threw them in the finest machines that science could muster up at the time. The competition Senna had to beat (which included but is not limited to the great Mansel, Schumacher (briefly), and the afore-mentioned Prost) were of an elevated ability. "After all, you're implying that some mouth-breathing hillbilly from the South isn't as good at driving as some other guy from across a large ocean." At that point in history, yes. These days, now that NASCOW has advanced technologically and its television exposure and marketing teams have been spread across the world, the talent pool has filled with far superior drivers than the NASCOW of old.

They need to stop making Fast and the Furious movies.

Aw Man! I can't believe I got dragged into one of these...Darn you Thunderbirdjunkie! And I usually enjoy reading your posts...
Old 08-31-2011, 11:07 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Default RE:

Tjettzky, let's not forget that Dale Sr. also had victories at LeMans and other places...and he was a perennial dominant force in IROC...he's not a good example for what you're trying to say

Technology has nothing to do with how good the driver pool is. ThunderbirdJunkie has not watched any Winston Cup racing since the late 90s when the rules were changed to make all of the cars aerodynamically identical.

Come to think of it, this is why ThunderbirdJunkie hasn't been watching much racing at all the past decade or more.

At any rate...these documentaries too often tend to eulogize the dead and speak nothing but good, because so many fans would cry foul were they actually accurate.
Old 08-31-2011, 11:55 AM
Lunchboxer

What?! Sprint Cup, you mean?!

Winston Cup
Old 08-31-2011, 05:53 PM
iexion

ORIGINAL:

At any rate...these documentaries too often tend to eulogize the dead and speak nothing but good, because so many fans would cry foul were they actually accurate.
This goes for anyone's hero really. I'd say lets keep in mind of what the big picture is in any form of film dedicated to one person in history (big screen or small)
There normally is ALOT of footage that gets cut out in order to shape a story. People still like (or need) to believe in something they can relate to because if they didn't, it would not be entertainment and wouldn't be a need to hire someone to edit all the bad stuff out.... idk im just talking out of spite. I hate Jersey sore and anything to do with that cancer [&:]
Old 08-31-2011, 10:03 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

What?! Sprint Cup, you mean?!

Winston Cup
No, the HPI Sprint and the Cup Racer are different cars

Old 09-01-2011, 09:52 AM
J.D.T

Default RE:

Earnhardt wrecked everyone, Rusty should have killed him 10 years before Sterling did. Earnhardt was a hero to maybe 40 million people at the peak after his death, there are a hundred million in Europe alone who WORSHIP Senna and at least another another hundred million worldwide. Why do you think Earnhardt only got a TV movie instead of a big screen movie, you are compairing apples to oranges, or maybe a orange to an orange thats been eaten and pooped out.
Old 09-04-2011, 01:07 PM
Lunchboxer

Watched the film on big screen last night... had to drive quite a bit to see it.. (90 miles away) But it was a special showing so it was worth it.. Prior to the movie, they held a Q&A session with a small panel of former racers / team member that have worked with / raced with Senna before.. it was pretty interesting.. !

Whether you are a Senna fan or not, I'd recommend one to check out the movie if you have chance.. or watch it when it comes out on video.. !
Old 09-04-2011, 01:59 PM
Lunchboxer

A couple of nice vintage cars parked outside of the theater last night.. (vintage race weekend at Lime Rock this weekend.. !) Ferrari and Porsche, doesn't get any better than that.. !
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Tr51459.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	81.3 KB
ID:	1657603   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26360.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	75.8 KB
ID:	1657604  
Old 09-06-2011, 10:39 AM
Tjettzky

Default RE:

Do you have the names of the people on the Panel? It sounds like it was a great experience.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:57 AM
Lunchboxer

Default RE:

I didn't get the name of the photographer who used to work w/ Team Lotus.. he knows Senna personally.. there's Davy Jones, Bob Sharp, and Sam Posey. Those 4 people made up the panel.