Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 566 of 660 FirstFirst ... 66466516556564565566567568576616 ... LastLast
Results 14,126 to 14,150 of 16493

Kingston UK, but living in Athens, GREECE
    Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I spend almost as much time keeping up with philanthropy and astrophysics (on an amateur level) as I do with RCs. I could literally talk for days about things that most people don't know and would be amazed if they did. Here's just one example...

We know that our galaxy is about 100,000 light years across. That means it would take 100,000 years, at the speed of light (1 billion kph roughly), to get across. What many people don't know (but is still fairly general knowledge) the faster you travel, the slower time passes (for you). This effect is amplified the closer you get to the speed of light. Theoretically if you could travel AT the speed of light, time would stop for you, you would live forever as long as you stayed travelling at exactly the speed of light.

So, how does this help us? Well,it means that if we can get up to roughly 95% the speed of light (not unfeasible in a few years, there's minimal resistance in space), then the amount of time taken to cross the entire galaxy would only be 25 years. Of course (given the time spent accelerating), a lot more time will have passed for everyone else. At least 100,000 years obviously, because that's the real amount of time it has taken to cross the galaxy, it's just that you perceived it as 25 years. Given that, we could easily expand to other planets, however, from the moment the mission was launched to cross the galaxy, to when we would know if they were successful or not, would be 100,000 years (the speed of radio is the speed of light), PLUS the travelling time, so figure that we would learn if they arrived safely or not, about a quarter million years after they left, and they would have effectively lived a quarter of a million years plus their real age. If we set out for the Andromeda galaxy, the earth will definitely no longer exist by the time we arrive, yet the journey could theoretically be done in one man's lifetime (about 80 years in the same example).

How's that for mind boggling.

Should I bother mentioning that at 95% the speed of light, if you hit a speck of dust, it would be no less damaging than hitting something the same weight as the Earth. Got forcefields anyone?
    Last edited by Foxy; 12-06-2013 at 08:50 AM.
    Down with the crew known to pump up the bass...
    We rock the joint at a cool, steady pace.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I agree that it's fascinating to look back at technology we had, say, 20 years ago and compare it to today - it's laughable. And then look forward 20 years and try to imagine what it will be like. You just can't.

And though 20 years sounds like a lot to some, it really isn't. It's still within our lifetime, and I won't be THAT old. Kids will be out of college, by not long. In 20 years, the stuff we have now (which we feel is uber cool) will be laughable - just like the gigantic "mobile phones" of the 80s are today to us.
    DT02-MS | Stadium Thunder | TT Frog | TRF 801XT | CR-01 | F-150 | CRT.5 | T-Egg

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    I spend almost as much time keeping up with astrophysics (on an amateur level) as I do with RCs. I could literally talk for days about things that most people don't know and would be amazed if they did. Here's just one example...

We know that our galaxy is about 100,000 light years across. That means it would take 100,000 years, at the speed of light (1 billion kph roughly), to get across. What many people don't know (but is still fairly general knowledge) the faster you travel, the slower time passes (for you). This effect is amplified the closer you get to the speed of light. Theoretically if you could travel AT the speed of light, time would stop for you, you would live forever as long as you stayed travelling at exactly the speed of light.

So, how does this help us? Well,it means that if we can get up to roughly 95% the speed of light (not unfeasible in a few years, there's minimal resistance in space), then the amount of time taken to cross the entire galaxy would only be 25 years. Of course (given the time spent accelerating), a lot more time will have passed for everyone else. At least 100,000 years obviously, because that's the real amount of time it has taken to cross the galaxy, it's just that you perceived it as 25 years. Given that, we could easily expand to other planets, however, from the moment the mission was launched to cross the galaxy, to when we would know if they were successful or not, would be 100,000 years (the speed of radio is the speed of light), PLUS the travelling time, so figure that we would learn if they arrived safely or not, about a quarter million years after they left, and they would have effectively lived a quarter of a million years plus their real age. If we set out for the Andromeda galaxy, the earth will definitely no longer exist by the time we arrive, yet the journey could theoretically be done in one man's lifetime (about 80 years in the same example).

How's that for mind boggling.

Should I bother mentioning that at 95% the speed of light, if you hit a speck of dust, it would be no less damaging than hitting something the same weight as the Earth. Got forcefields anyone?
    I love this stuff. Have you read A Brief History of Time? Neat book.

It's continually amazing just how HUGE space is. I mean, it's ludicrous, the distances involved. I think Hitchhiker's Galaxy described it best in one of it's opening chapters, although I forget the exact quote.

Wait - found it:
    "Space," it says, "is big. Really big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mindbogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space, listen..."

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I'm a huge Douglas Adams and Stephen Hawking fan (though I'm slightly concerned by one of Hawking's latest theories).

When I want to point people in the right direction for this kind of stuff, I refer them to this documentary...13 of the most entertaining and eye-opening hours of my life. And it was aired in 1980!!

Listen to Carl Sagan tell you all what's really important. Please, I insist.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pa1ImgOcOPM
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    All these talk about population increase and such is silly.. Skynet is gonna become self-aware before 2021 anyway..

I think the first one that will turn against human will be the Amazon.com's delivery drones..
    LB | WW2 | TLT | TB02 | DF03 | TEgg | F103GT | TXT | Hornet | Frog | Scalpel | Leo 2A6 | Aeromax | WW1 | Clod | CR-01

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    You mean the Amazon Hunter-Killer mk1? Sure, why not.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    no, google has already become self-aware and already knows how to drive. all it needs to do is inhabit a tank and we're doomed.
    HELP! IM STUCK ON AN ESCALATOR!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Foxy...

Mind... Blown.... That kind of stuff is just wild.
    Clod Buster | Sludge Hammer | Blue Streak | Revo | Baja | CR-01 | FG MT

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Picture this then, and understand how far we have really come...most of you have heard of that Hadron Collider thing, but not many know or remember what it's for, and that's important, they're playing with forces from reactions occurring (impacts) at the speed of light. The forces are incredible. Force is mass times acceleration. So when the acceleration is infinite? If you can get your head around it, that's really mind blowing. That's 'fabric of the universe' level. If we can master that we would never have to worry about power generation again. That kind of knowledge might even trigger brain evolution, who knows.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    If it works, take it apart and find out why.

Evader ST | TL-01 MT | Micro BL SCT | Radian | Alias | MCX2

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Foxy View Post
    Picture this then, and understand how far we have really come...most of you have heard of that Hadron Collider thing, but not many know or remember what it's for, and that's important, they're playing with forces from reactions occurring (impacts) at the speed of light. The forces are incredible. Force is mass times acceleration. So when the acceleration is infinite? If you can get your head around it, that's really mind blowing. That's 'fabric of the universe' level. If we can master that we would never have to worry about power generation again. That kind of knowledge might even trigger brain evolution, who knows.

Would that be considered beating the natural laws of physics?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    No, I guess there's a law of physics for everything, no matter how deep you go, it's just a case of peeling them back layer by layer. The LHC gives us the ability to observe reactions that rarely happen in the universe and when they do are at the center of singularities, stars, supernovas, etc and are otherwise unobservable.
    Foxy
    RCU Community Moderator

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by cumquat View Post
    no, google has already become self-aware and already knows how to drive.
    At least SOMETHING is self-aware and can drive around here.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Nah.. just that in normal day to day life, most of the stuff we encounter (due to the low speed), can be explained with Newtonian physics. Once things get faster, you move to quantum mechanics. You can use the more complicated equations to explain the lower speed stuff (and the math will still work out!) but there's simply no need for that, as the Newton's equations is "close enough".

And who knows, some scientists might invite something different (or rather, even broader) to explain things even universally.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkFire989 View Post
    Would that be considered beating the natural laws of physics?
    LB | WW2 | TLT | TB02 | DF03 | TEgg | F103GT | TXT | Hornet | Frog | Scalpel | Leo 2A6 | Aeromax | WW1 | Clod | CR-01

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yeah, like the "LB Laws of Physics"

Watch out for it!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    LOL.. when I went to college, I thought I was going to double major in math and physics..

And then I realized what they are and knew that those are not for me.. LOL! Needs to be a one-in-a-billion to achieve something in those fields! I know my limit, YO!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    The higher level physics stuff is just cool. I enjoyed that (not a major of course, but had to take quite a bit). Higher level math just starts to get ridiculous.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Yeah, I went through quantum mechanics and special relativity.. and that was it for me.. I had no interest in getting any more physics.. ha! I like Newtonian stuff a lot more..

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Physics I, solid B+.

Physics II, essentially passed by the skin of my teeth. Professor(who wasnt really a professor, more researcher so he couldn't teach) let your final exam grade be your final grade if it was better. I had a buddy save my bacon, helped me study and prepare really well for the final. Ended up getting a B.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    What's in Physics I and Physics II?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Physics II: Electric Boogaloo was just a bad sequel made in the 80s to exploit the franchise name for more money.

...oh wait, that was something else.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Sounds about right Eman.

LB I honestly cant remember.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    LOL.. obviously not very useful information, hee! :P

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1412683_10151734270080404_1691527121_o.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	1945403

Just missing one thing.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    What are you gonna do with your old PC?