Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Dinner time

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2011, 09:15 PM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Dinner time

Had a visitor in the house this morning....Cat was quite intrigued. He's an indoor moggi so this was new and fun!

Bird was safely shown the way out and the cat is much more interested in the windows.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Kh17377.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1694512   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ws56585.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1694513   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nt46284.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	1694514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Un33559.jpg
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	1694515   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wu60584.jpg
Size:	60.4 KB
ID:	1694516  
Old 12-03-2011, 11:23 PM
tommygun32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Haha! Always fun having unexpected guests drop in.

I have to ask though....what is the goose/swan all about? [&:]
Old 12-03-2011, 11:27 PM
tommygun32

I'm going to have to try that frets. Usually with a finicky daughter, a wife on a no carb diet and a son who'll eat anything...It's difficult to make 1 communal dish.

I usually feel like a short order cook when it comes round to dinner time and I have to make 3 different meals.

ORIGINAL: frets24

I'll second the reveiw of (good)Haggis. with a Welsh wife we have quite the variety of Scots and Irish influenced fare as opposed to the blander English offerings. The week after T-day is always busy in my trade so not much fun stuff in the way off dinner this past week...tonight was ''Crockpot luck'' night where we clear out the older stuff from the fridge and dump it in the crock with some spices.

Usually it's pretty good; tonight was no exception. Some Italian sausage with a bunch of tomatos that were on the edge along with some corn, beans and who knows what...
Bag of tortilla chips on the side and we called it chili
Old 12-04-2011, 07:19 AM
frets24

The goose/swan is just one of those things that showed up one day....doorstop, knicknack, shelf-filler...I don't remember. Now it sits on top of one of the shelving units along with the endless collection of hats. The bird stayed up pretty high on things for obvious reasons and that's just one of the spots it stayed on long enough to get a pic as it flitted all over the place.

As far as felling like a short order cook...that's Saturday morning around here. The one day we all make a point to be together at breakfast(lately a school chum or four included). Winds up like a cafeteria...Pancakes, grits, eggs; fried and scrambled, bacon, mixed fruits/melons, toast, scones, coffee, OJ, chatter and clinking of utensils. It's become an over decade norm here
Old 12-04-2011, 07:41 AM
tommygun32

Most of the times I don't mind as long as it's within reason.....and I don't have to do the washing up...[:@]
Old 12-05-2011, 04:43 AM
tommygun32

Made a nice classic American Beef Stew a couple days ago. It was ready to eat yesterday, along with a baby spinach leaf salad and garlic bread.

Tonight, it's chicken machaca burritos. [&:]
Old 12-08-2011, 12:20 AM
frets24

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Made a nice classic American Beef Stew a couple days ago. It was ready to eat yesterday, along with a baby spinach leaf salad and garlic bread.

Tonight, it's chicken machaca burritos. [&:]

Well, there you went and did it!! [X(] Those that peer over my shoulder everytime I get on the computer went and googled "machaca" and thought that it would be a great soft taco filler.......

Yep, you guessed it! I was then responsible for the implementation(or something close anyway)

I do appreciate the idea, as it was pretty tasty

(I added a lime to the recipe' and those are the slices there in the beef from reducing all the liquids...Looks like paste but it's actually shredded-camera just didn't define it too well)

Name:	Fd93280.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	60.2 KB
ID:	1696976   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yt62740.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	61.1 KB
ID:	1696977  
Old 12-08-2011, 01:05 AM
tommygun32

Ahhhh...well done frets.

To those that look over your shoulder.... http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/slow-co...as/detail.aspx

Carnitas!!

I like to take mine to the stage the recipe states, then get a frying pan nice and hot, sprinkle some extra seasoning (spicy) over the carnitas and give them a quick crisp.

The chicken version of the Machaca is way easier than the beef. Take two cooked rotisserie chickens and shred them up removing the skin and bones.

Roughly slice 1 white onion
finely slice a large carrot on the bias

Throw that into a pot with some olive oil and let sweat. Add two crushed garlic cloves after about 5 minutes. After about 2 minutes add a tablespoon of cumin, teaspoon of chili powder, teaspoon of oregano, 1 bay leaf and cover with water or chicken stock and let simmer for about 45 minutes. Done.

I like to make burritos out of this, but tacos work well too.

Ha! Today's lunch from 800 pizza. The salad is just out of shot on the right...

Name:	Nl29446.jpg
Size:	145.8 KB
ID:	1696999  
Old 12-08-2011, 09:01 AM
tommygun32

Tonight's dinner, macaroni with meat sauce bake, salad.

Name:	Vt56536.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	108.2 KB
ID:	1697084  
Old 12-08-2011, 09:20 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

On my way to eat fish and chips at fishermans wharf.
Old 12-08-2011, 10:21 AM
tommygun32

Me jealous. Start dinner with a clam chowder in a sourdough bowl.....[&:]
Old 12-08-2011, 03:14 PM
sheograth

http://www.amazon.com/Cuisinart-GR-4...3386026&sr=8-1

I just ordered one of these, the new 5 in one griller from cuisinart

5-in-1countertop unit works as a contact grill, panini press, full grill, full griddle, and half grill/half griddle
Brushed stainless-steel housing; sturdy panini-style handle; floating cover to adjust to thickness of food
Removable and reversible nonstick cooking plates drain grease for healthy cooking; integrated drip tray
Adjustable temperature controls with indicator lights; gourmet recipes and scraping tool included
Plates, drip tray, and scraper are dishwasher-safe; 3-year limited warranty

YAY!
Old 12-10-2011, 12:10 AM
tommygun32

Nice on Sheo. Pancake breakfast at yours it is. I like my eggs over medium please.

@ frets, on a side note about the Carnitas. You don't want to shred the meat like pulled pork sandwhiches, you sort of break them up into big chunks like this:

Name:	Vt56968.jpg
Size:	153.0 KB
ID:	1697917  
Old 12-10-2011, 09:34 PM
tommygun32

WOHOO!!!!

My day has started off perfectly. Check out what the Mailman brought along this morning....

Thank you frets!!

Name:	Ro42013.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	1698334  
Old 12-11-2011, 09:22 AM
tommygun32

The plot thickens...[&:]

TBJ is not a fan of Skyline, yet on the back of the 'skyline' Cinci Chili spice packet frets was kind enough to send me shows an interesting address of manufacture....[:-]

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

First you have to know how ''Chili'' is deeply woven into Cincinnati’s fabric as much as Pete Rose, the Ohio River or the city’s meat packing industry.
And here ThunderbirdJunkie thought he was special all these years. Pete Rose grabbed his mom's butt, went swimming in the Ohio river, and ThunderbirdJunkie's first real job was doing maintenance in a meat packing plant. Damn you, accurate stereotypes! BRB, yelling about the Steelers despite not caring about football[&:]
Nearly everyone in the Queen City picks whether they prefer the chili served at Skyline or Gold Star, two local restaurant chains that compete against one another. There are others like Empress (my overall fave) and Dixie but they were minor players and may no longer exist. Skyline and GoldStar are the McD's and BK of chili.
As I recall, Skyline’s chili is much runnier and not very meaty. The taste is sweet, with hints of cinnamon, cloves and even chocolate (which is said to be the secret ingredient).

Chili at Gold Star is heartier. Meat chunks are common and it has a consistency similar to gravy.

But true Cincinnatians know they have to pick one or the other..no fence sitting here: Skyline or Gold Star.

I'm with TbJ; Gold Star is the better of the two (and ''them's fightin' words'' to some folk). Skyline is a bit too sweet, somewhat bland and lacks the robust ''punch'' of Gold Star

Did I get that about right Thunderbird Junky?
Pretty much, but out of all of them, ThunderbirdJunkie would have to pick Blue Ash Chili. Between Skyline and Gold Star, definitely Gold Star. Liking the wrong one in the wrong neighborhood might as well put a Steelers sticker on your car, and a Rothlesburger jersey on your back.

Both sides of the family prefer Skyline[:'(]

Name:	Mj24759.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	97.1 KB
ID:	1698555  
Old 12-11-2011, 07:07 PM
frets24

Ah so, grasshopper....look carefully. That's sky TIME, not skyline. I believe they're an independent mfg, not associated with any resturaunt or retail outlet as I recall....and their instructions yeilds a slightly watery, thin result hence the addition of another 4oz of paste and a bit less water.

Glad it got there, safe and sound..Enjoy!!

The beef I used for the Machaca was a Pot Roast and I simmered it for 3hrs or so. It literally fell apart into fine shred when I was mixing in the rest of the ingredients. But, man o man, was it tender and tasty!

Thanks for the recipe link...we'll wind up doing that one of these evenings too!

We had Italian Sausage stew tonight with plenty of chopped vegtables and a hearty helping of of whole grain barley and rye in mine. Nobody else likes the B&R so I make it up in a pot on the side and then mix it in at serving. No pics because everyone was famished and it barely made it out of the pot into individual bowls!!!
Old 12-11-2011, 09:34 PM
tommygun32

Ooopss....shouldn't be trying to read the fine print after a couple of beers... Skyline V Skytime.

But I do like the association with Thunderbird Lane.

Will follow your directions frets...I do prefer my chili thick and not runny.

Dinner last night was Lamb Roganjosh, Chana Masala with rice and an Asian salad.

Thanks again.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:51 PM
sheograth

Old 12-12-2011, 12:52 PM
sheograth

^^ that's the best advice I've gotten all day!
Old 12-12-2011, 02:37 PM
frets24

In light of the fact that they just closed the "Joe's Crab Shack" recently here in Charlotte, all I can say is that "that's just wrong!!!" Loved that place; and yes, great advice!

Don't ya just love when city planners screw up the accessibility to local businesses in order to "improve the traffic flow". They put up a 1.2 mile center divider wall on a major artery and 47 business went under in less than 6 months....some had been doing great for over 20 years. With the means to turn back and come to the places from the opposite direction further messed up by the addition of "no left turn" and "no right turn" (***?!?!? no right?)in some strategic places these businesses were doomed. Over 1150 jobs lost directly, no telling the ripple, and no recourse available against the city.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:39 PM
frets24

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Ooopss....shouldn't be trying to read the fine print after a couple of beers... Skyline V Skytime.

But I do like the association with Thunderbird Lane.

Will follow your directions frets...I do prefer my chili thick and not runny.

Dinner last night was Lamb Roganjosh, Chana Masala with rice and an Asian salad.

Thanks again.
I await your critique of this bizzare dish The lamb sounds good!

Biryani chicken and some leftover frozen Tandoori something here tonight with Naan bread. Lots of East Indian food here at home with a British wife.[&:]
Old 12-12-2011, 05:53 PM
sheograth

Yeah I took that with my iphone today at the Joes at Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco. I ate a crab chowder filled sourdough bowl at Boudin for lunch, it was sensual.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:01 PM
tommygun32

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Yeah I took that with my iphone today at the Joes at Fishermans Wharf in San Francisco. I ate a crab chowder filled sourdough bowl at Boudin for lunch, it was sensual.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:06 PM
tommygun32

Oh man....to quote a famous movie....stupid is as stupid does.

Sounds like the city managers/planners/elected officials don't want their jobs anymore. Great way to kill off a city or parts of it.

Makes one wonder if there are arterial motives for that land...

In light of the fact that they just closed the ''Joe's Crab Shack'' recently here in Charlotte, all I can say is that ''that's just wrong!!!'' Loved that place; and yes, great advice!

Don't ya just love when city planners screw up the accessibility to local businesses in order to ''improve the traffic flow''. They put up a 1.2 mile center divider wall on a major artery and 47 business went under in less than 6 months....some had been doing great for over 20 years. With the means to turn back and come to the places from the opposite direction further messed up by the addition of ''no left turn'' and ''no right turn'' (***?!?!? no right?)in some strategic places these businesses were doomed. Over 1150 jobs lost directly, no telling the ripple, and no recourse available against the city.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:22 PM
sheograth

Fishermans Wharf has great food, it's a bit expensive though because its touristy. There are some divey parts of the waterfront where you can get good fish and chips (and met some really shady seamen) for cheap.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.