Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Dinner time

Old 10-23-2011, 12:05 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Dinner time

Tommygun that steak and lobster looks great.

Tonight I'm making spicy chili with whole beans and big chunks of beef
Old 10-23-2011, 10:57 PM
tommygun32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm...chili.....[&:]

How long do you cook your chili Sheo?

On a side note....my wife was pretty tic'd off with me this morning.

My dinner last night was a bowl of those Boracho Beans with a fried egg on top and topped with melted cheese, served with some rye bread.

I'll let you figure out why she was miffed at me....
Old 10-24-2011, 05:38 AM
frets24
My Feedback: (15)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's funny!! "bean, beans, good for the heart......."
Old 10-24-2011, 06:26 AM
tommygun32

Ha...I think I gave it away when I said, 'On a side note'.....
Old 10-24-2011, 05:00 PM
frets24

My bad....I should have picked up on and continued the "note" reference with the other bean saying; 'Beans, beans the tuneful fruit...''

Nothin fancy here tonight, and nothing to serenade the family with either, just pan seared chicken breasts(lots o butter) and a large salad. I chop mine up on the plate and douse the cubes with Buffalo Wing sauce and Blue Cheese dressing lately. Before that it was a sour cream with fresh dill and minced green olive/pimento sauce.
Old 10-27-2011, 09:33 AM
tommygun32

Did Chinese home delivery tonight...[8D]

Chicken Dumplings, Hong Kong Chicken, Sezchuan Fish, Stirfried Veggies and Garlic Noodles.
Old 10-28-2011, 07:23 AM
tommygun32

Tonight....Lasagne, salad and garlic bread.

This one is about 5 minutes from going into the oven.

Will post a pic of the finished product later...[8D]
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn37908.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	100.6 KB
ID:	1679684  
Old 10-28-2011, 09:07 AM
tommygun32

ahhhhhhhh....dinner time.

As the oven was on anyway, I roasted a turkey breast.

Name:	Hf98184.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1679717  
Old 10-28-2011, 09:33 AM
sheograth

That looks good. Has your wife started asking why you're always taking pictures of food yet?
[&:]
Old 10-28-2011, 09:43 AM
tommygun32

Hahahahahahaha!!! Yes she has...and I've told her.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:07 AM
sheograth

Good, don't want her to think you've finally lost it. [&:]
Old 10-28-2011, 03:27 PM
frets24

ORIGINAL: sheograth

That looks good. Has your wife started asking why you're always taking pictures of food yet?
Funny you should pose that question. My wife and kids have decided that I have finally lost it; "Really!? You're sharing our dinner fare with your RCU friends!" Then they determined that they can take advantage of my cooking nights by encouraging me to make something truely worthy of being posted here! (and threatening to embarrass me if it's not)

Anyway this was the verdict from the home front on tonight's menu....

Name:	Yw67655.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	1679802  
Old 10-28-2011, 03:30 PM
sheograth

Guilty....of good cooking.

I should be a comedian [&:]
Old 10-28-2011, 03:35 PM
frets24

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Lasagne, YUMMY, YUMMY, YUMMY!!!

Actually, my signature dish according to the the family and friends. Takes 4-5 days from start to finish and day one is nothing more than fresh tomatoes and onions, the grill, a knife and a large stew pot.....
Old 10-28-2011, 03:36 PM
frets24

Before the ruffians got hold of it

Name:	Xv65009.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	1679821   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mh21556.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	1679822  
Old 10-28-2011, 03:56 PM
frets24

It seems there's only 3 of us still hanging about on this one.....so, T.G.32 and Sheo, How'd you come up with your user names? Mine comes from falling into deep desire for a 24 fret, extended neck, Rickenbacker guitar a'la Tom Petty's from the "Damn the Torpedos" album cover. Standard neck only has 22 frets. Finally bought one back in '88 after coveting for 9 years....really nice guitar, but I still prefer my Les Paul. Now, after being self employed for over a decade I think it has come to refer to my 24/7 fretting over the business. Plumbing contracting.
Old 10-28-2011, 05:24 PM
sheograth

Mines a misspelling of sheogorath, a character from the Elder Scrolls games. I randomly came up with it on a different forum back in 04 or something.
Old 10-28-2011, 09:59 PM
tommygun32

Hmmmm....bbq chicken. Yum!!

Frets, the reason most people don't post in this thread is probably for the reason of looking silly in front of other people by taking pics of their food...

There was a thread in here about 'how did you get your user name' about a year or so ago. Believe it or not, just by reading your name I knew it had something to do with a guitar.

I used to be a night club DJ and radio presenter and Tommygun was my stage name. 32 is how old I was when I got my first yahoo email address.

Just easier to remember for me.
Old 10-28-2011, 10:01 PM
tommygun32

You do realise you will now need to post pics of every step along the way next time you make your 'signature' dish....[&:]

ORIGINAL: frets24

Lasagne, YUMMY, YUMMY, YUMMY!!!

Actually, my signature dish according to the the family and friends. Takes 4-5 days from start to finish and day one is nothing more than fresh tomatoes and onions, the grill, a knife and a large stew pot.....
Old 10-28-2011, 11:59 PM
frets24

Thanks for the insight. The names we choose and keep for ourselves reveal a bit about ourselves

Now.......Only for you guys, This is still secret to most around here....

The key is in the use of fresh tomatoes for the sauce and a bit tomato paste(shortcut/cheat as a thickener) along with the 4-5 cycles of cooking and refridgerating it with the addition of ingredients and spices during each cycle. A bit of Italian sausage and the use of ricotta cheese is also a must.

60:40 Italian sausage:ground round, 60:40 riccotta cheese:mozzerella in the assembly and otherwise just the additional diced veggies and spices you would expect; green bell pepper, mushrooms, celery and black olives.

Fresh crushed garlic pan seared in butter/olive oil , add a bit of water when done along with basil, oregano, sage. thyme and black pepper and simmer/reduce to a thin paste. Add to sauce(spices are day two)

Meats are day three. I use 70/30 ground round for the high grease content. we get rid of the grease much later. I use a lot of water in the browning of the meats so it doesn't clump up into chunks. All the meat and the grease goes into the sauce and it simmers for an hour at the least.....back into the 'fridge

All veggies are coarsely cut and fire roasted/seared on the grill before finely dicing and addition to the sauce(tomato and onion were day one, remainder day four) Squeeze the juice of one whole lemon into the mix today and add some tobasco for a barely perceptible bite as well; This(heat/spice) is one of the aftertastes that people can't quite place/figure out when they eat it that makes it stand out from other lasagnes...too much or too little and it's ID'd or lost. Do not stir the grease back down into the sauce sauce in the last 15-20 minutes of simmering today!! Leave that nasty pool on top...you'll see why tomorrow.....

Cold assembly and cook day five....refridgerate then reheat/serve day six. When the pot comes out of the 'fridge on this day all of the grase and oil will have been refined and form a hard, butterlike crust on the surface of the sauce; peel it off with a spatula and throw it away...now we are 99% fat free, no mess-no fuss, and all of the wonderful taste nuances of the fat are in the sauce! short version has meats and spices on same day and/or assembly, cook and serve on same day. Assembly with the cold sauce helps to keep the distribution even. The noodles are only pre-softened and finish cooking in the ovenwhile drawing all of the excess moisture from the sauce for a firm, juicy lasagne, not a runny one. I put a couple eggs into the bowl when I mix the shredded moz and ricotta cheese too...mainly to help blend the cheeses. Typical assy-I like some fresh spinach leaves in each layer for color as much as anything. Moz only on the very top with some finely chopped fresh parsely... again for a hint of color; it browns with the cheese but adds a subconscious difference to the appearance and primes the brain to EXPECT this one to be different. Presentation has a great deal to do with taste satisfaction....

I figured out a long time ago that most tomato sauce based dishes always seemed better the second day...after refridgeration and reheating. Found out it has a lot to do with the dissipation and breakdown of acids in the tomato sauce and the subsequent better marrying and mellowing of the spices. Logical next idea was to incorporate the cooking/cooling into the recipe The fire roasting gives it more of a Tuscany edge and lets me use my FAVORITE cooking tool: The grill.

When I make it, about 2-3 times a year, I make a HUGE pot of sauce because it doubles as my spaghetti sauce; a bunch gets canned.
Old 10-29-2011, 07:46 AM
TBONE6

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Funny you should pose that question. My wife and kids have decided that I have finally lost it; "Really!? You're sharing our dinner fare with your RCU friends!" Then they determined that they can take advantage of my cooking nights by encouraging me to make something truely worthy of being posted here! (and threatening to embarrass me if it's not)

Anyway this was the verdict from the home front on tonight's menu....
Actually, we do take pictures of our favorite dishes, in an artsy-fartsy kind of way, and frame and hang them in the kitchen!!
Huge mesquite smoked ribeyes with sauted peppers, onions, mushrooms with loaded NFL sized potatos last night. Man was it GOOD!!!
Old 10-29-2011, 07:50 AM
TBONE6

Thanks for the insight. The names we choose and keep for ourselves reveal a bit about ourselves

Now.......Only for you guys, This is still secret to most around here....

The key is in the use of fresh tomatoes for the sauce and a bit tomato paste(shortcut/cheat as a thickener) along with the 4-5 cycles of cooking and refridgerating it with the addition of ingredients and spices during each cycle. A bit of Italian sausage and the use of ricotta cheese is also a must.

60:40 Italian sausage:ground round, 60:40 riccotta cheese:mozzerella in the assembly and otherwise just the additional diced veggies and spices you would expect; green bell pepper, mushrooms, celery and black olives.

Fresh crushed garlic pan seared in butter/olive oil , add a bit of water when done along with basil, oregano, sage. thyme and black pepper and simmer/reduce to a thin paste. Add to sauce(spices are day two)

Meats are day three. I use 70/30 ground round for the high grease content. we get rid of the grease much later. I use a lot of water in the browning of the meats so it doesn't clump up into chunks. All the meat and the grease goes into the sauce and it simmers for an hour at the least.....back into the 'fridge

All veggies are coarsely cut and fire roasted/seared on the grill before finely dicing and addition to the sauce(tomato and onion were day one, remainder day four) Squeeze the juice of one whole lemon into the mix today and add some tobasco for a barely perceptible bite as well; This(heat/spice) is one of the aftertastes that people can't quite place/figure out when they eat it that makes it stand out from other lasagnes...too much or too little and it's ID'd or lost. Do not stir the grease back down into the sauce sauce in the last 15-20 minutes of simmering today!! Leave that nasty pool on top...you'll see why tomorrow.....

Cold assembly and cook day five....refridgerate then reheat/serve day six. When the pot comes out of the 'fridge on this day all of the grase and oil will have been refined and form a hard, butterlike crust on the surface of the sauce; peel it off with a spatula and throw it away...now we are 99% fat free, no mess-no fuss, and all of the wonderful taste nuances of the fat are in the sauce! short version has meats and spices on same day and/or assembly, cook and serve on same day. Assembly with the cold sauce helps to keep the distribution even. The noodles are only pre-softened and finish cooking in the ovenwhile drawing all of the excess moisture from the sauce for a firm, juicy lasagne, not a runny one. I put a couple eggs into the bowl when I mix the shredded moz and ricotta cheese too...mainly to help blend the cheeses. Typical assy-I like some fresh spinach leaves in each layer for color as much as anything. Moz only on the very top with some finely chopped fresh parsely... again for a hint of color; it browns with the cheese but adds a subconscious difference to the appearance and primes the brain to EXPECT this one to be different. Presentation has a great deal to do with taste satisfaction....

I figured out a long time ago that most tomato sauce based dishes always seemed better the second day...after refridgeration and reheating. Found out it has a lot to do with the dissipation and breakdown of acids in the tomato sauce and the subsequent better marrying and mellowing of the spices. Logical next idea was to incorporate the cooking/cooling into the recipe The fire roasting gives it more of a Tuscany edge and lets me use my FAVORITE cooking tool: The grill.

When I make it, about 2-3 times a year, I make a HUGE pot of sauce because it doubles as my spaghetti sauce; a bunch gets canned.
They don't call me Tbone for nuttin'!!
Old 10-29-2011, 08:34 AM
pmerritt
My Feedback: (118)

I'm having Balsa looking rice, a CA'd finger sandwich, and some servo grease soup.  For desert I think I'll have a shot of 30% heli fuel and a small plate of servo extensions covered in after run oil.
Old 10-29-2011, 11:48 PM
tommygun32

That one sounds awesome frets. Going to have to give it a go.

TBONE - post some of those pics man.
Old 10-30-2011, 04:49 AM
frets24

TBONE - post some of those pics man.

No doubt! sounds like the kind of kitchen that just puts you in the frame of mind to eat...not that I would need any extra encouragement.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.