Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Beer

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2012, 06:18 AM
kaiser01

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Beer

drank a sixer of these last night, awesome beer if you like hops.
Old 06-29-2012, 06:47 AM
Eman77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A sixer of 7.3% booze? Musta been feeling happy after that.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:48 AM
kaiser01

i was building a 1/10-1/8 dirt oval as i drank them so i was working hard and sweating alot. didn't "feel" it until i rested and sat down. plus i am a 300lb behemoth.
Old 06-29-2012, 08:50 AM
Eman77

They go down easy when you're working on something physical, don't they?
Old 07-06-2012, 09:20 AM
Eman77

Well, I got a 4 pack of New Holland's Dragon's Milk beer and had one last night. It was fantastic. I mean, I read the reviews on it, everyone raved about it, but I figured you tend to see a bit of that from the fans who over-emphasize everything. People get like that.

But they were right.

It was amazing. You can definitely tell it's high ABV, but it's not overpowering. Still, it's not a fast drinker. Very smooth, very tasty, just excellent. I know it's hideously expensive for beer ($16 a 4 pack), but just splurge once and try it. It's worth it. Besides, we've all spend far more $$ than that on far stupider stuff than this.

Get it.
http://newhollandbrew.com/beer/high-...n-oak-barrels/
Old 07-06-2012, 09:28 AM
kaiser01

i'm going to be doing more chain gang work on the track tonight, i'll keep an eye out for it.

i wonder how much a firkin costs, always wanted one of those.
Old 07-06-2012, 09:50 AM
Eman77

I wouldn't recommend it as a beer to throw down while you're doing physical labor. Lighter beers are for that. (Similarly, I wouldn't recommend a guinness for track work).

This is one you gotta sit down with, relax, and enjoy. Really taste it. That's the key.
Old 06-21-2013, 11:45 AM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

I noticed this thread has been inactive for awhile... well here we are into summer and BEER is my drink of choice (actually, it is my drink of choice year 'round, but I'll use any excuse to drink beer)

Just came back from Germany where the beer is great, but rather monotonous.. and by that I mean you simply cannot find a hoppy beer, or many ales for that matter. German "Alt" is an ale and technically, Hefeweizen is an ale, but it was good to be back in the pacific northwest where HOPS are as integral to beer as malt! I AM a hopeless HOPHEAD[:'(]

Picked up a killer line of IPAs (singles, doubles and triples) and will be sharing them with friends tomorrow...
Should be a happy time
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vs55853.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	1893851  
Old 06-21-2013, 12:30 PM
Eman77

Ah, that's because Germany knows what they're doing. I'm not a massive IPA fan myself, and would love to try all the different local German beers some day.

Just giving you a hard time about being a hophead.

Kidding aside - what do you mean they don't have many ales? There are so many different ale styles and ale recipes, I wouldn't think an ale would be lacking presence anywhere. Unless you really mean the ales you like (hoppier stuff), in which case I see what you mean.
Old 06-21-2013, 03:14 PM
RichardGee
My Feedback: (156)

First, I realize that beer preference is like wine preference... and what one person likes, another may not like.
A few years ago, I would NOT have enjoyed what I drink today!!

Don't get me wrong, the Germans certainly have a much longer and more illustrious history than we do on the subject of Beer. Any country that has a "beer purity law" and markers on their glasses that indicate 0.5L and 1.0L pours, takes their beer VERY SERIOUSLY. Heck, if a brewery in Germany is less than 500 years old, it's a "newbie"

But the Germans LOVE their lagers and they have perfected the style. Naturally cold/cool weather lends itself to lager brewing (of course this is from long before refrigeration).
Ale yeasts like warmer fermentation temperatures, and will go dormant at much below 45 deg. F, whereas some lager yeasts are still mildly active at near freezing.

As a brewer for ten years, I can tell you that it takes LOTS of attention to detail to create a pale, bright, crisp, flavorful lager with NO off-flavors! It is easier to HIDE off-flavors in big, bold, hoppy and dark beers... so I take NOTHING away from German brewing expertise when it comes to their preferred beer styles.

However, I happen to love the big, bold flavor of 7%++ alcohol ales that go at least 65 IBUs (International Bittering Units) and way above that!! IPAs, double and triple IPAs float my boat
NOTHING like exists in Germany.. and if it did, they would probably make it against the law!!

btw: I was on an airplane once with a German gentleman flying to the U.S. WE got on the subject of beer and I found out he was a big fan of the stuff... so I asked him what I assumed was a totally rhetorical question: "Who do you think makes the best beer in the world?"
Without hesitation, he said, "the United States" [X(]
Old 08-16-2013, 07:30 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by sheograth
PBR is gross, only hipsters drink that.
Not one of the worst beers that I've drank but right up there. Hamm's, Old Milwaukee's and Carling's amongst the worst. Worst drunk and hang-over though but went on a drinking marathon that day and night.
I don't imbibe much in my old age especially since I got Type II Diabetes. Usually a Miller Lite for a quick fix. Tried some Redd's Apple Ale, too sweet. Lots of microbreweries popping up around here, Bell's, Arcadia, Boat House and others.
I took my son to the bar at the stroke of midnight on his 21st and he had mostly mixed drinks, one that I can't name in here while I had some Miller's.
Old 05-29-2014, 12:26 PM
froghair1

Found a better beer than Newcastle, try Smithwicks. While your at it AVOID cigar city's maduro unless you like chocolate expresso, worst beer I ever spit out.