Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Smart Phones

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:34 PM
kistner
My Feedback: (10)

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Smart Phones

The new Traxxas offering notes Unlocking 100+mph speed capability requires the Traxxas Link Application (download from the App Store) and an iPhone or iPod touch (sold separately).

just curious what os your phone uses. how many apples vs nokia versus android versus . . . ?

personally I do not care for apple products. I have a windows phone that was given to me. last phone i purchased was an android phone for my wife. My kids are getting android mp3 players for christmas.

here is a breakdown dated about mid 2011 from wiki:
Old 12-01-2011, 07:40 PM
xerxes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Smart Phones

android. xerxes ante 2 shure wut da diffranses is btween appl & droid fones tho[&:]
Old 12-01-2011, 07:49 PM
rully126
Banned

Welcome attention to my blog to share with me a good knowledge
Old 12-01-2011, 08:33 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Looks like I will not be buying the new Traxxas. I have no desire for a smart phone of any kind, I just got a new one a few months ago and it is more than enough for me, and still a dumb phone.

Old 12-01-2011, 08:46 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ThunderbirdJunkie has a Droid X2. It's pretty neat and stuff, and handy for finding nearby bars when he feels like being a lush.
ORIGINAL: rully126

Welcome attention to my blog to share with me a good knowledge
KEWL AVATAR BRO WARE U GEDDIT?
Old 12-01-2011, 08:53 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LAME AS HELL.

stupid traxxas, sucking up to silver spoon fanboyz with thier lame iphones

if you had to have the piece of scrap rip out the speed controller and slap in a turnigy one for $80

you can make any car do 100mph, but why would you? where are you going to do 100 and after spending 1100 bones would you risk it?
Old 12-01-2011, 09:01 PM
splcrazy

i just got the new HTC sensation XL android, so far its awesome except for the service provider , i had to switch from 3 to vodafone , because 3 has joined up with vodafone and its taking over 48 hours for them to do the damn switch over im pissed off [:@] , they connected the pocket wifi before the damn phone , so thats what im using to get on the net and type this garbage lol ..

the phone is MASSIVE almost too big for my liking .
Old 12-02-2011, 07:01 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sprint HTC EVO 4G, which is Android of course. I'm rooted, and on a modified stock rom, no bloatware, and full SU privileges. I'm about to upgrade to the 3D though, once we get a legitimate S-OFF root.

I sure wish I could get the new Galaxy on Sprint, that phone is sexy.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:03 AM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

LAME AS HELL.

if you had to have the piece of scrap rip out the speed controller and slap in a turnigy one for $80

you can make any car do 100mph, but why would you? where are you going to do 100 and after spending 1100 bones would you risk it?
There is a perfectly fine argument in that other thread? Why cant it stay there?
Old 12-02-2011, 07:06 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Manipulated statistics are manipulated.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/04/2...-market-share/
Old 12-02-2011, 08:11 AM
kistner

but which stat is manipulated? the one I found, or the one you found? hence our informal survey here in which android does appear to be outpacing ios.

another stat is that worldwide the percentage of smartphones versus feature phones is about 27%. If I were a retailer making a product I would hesitate to limit myself to 20% of 27%, just 5.4% of the total market.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:17 AM
Foxy

I'm not sure what you're saying tbh bud. I only posted that link so you'd see that comparing an OS to a single product is folly. Apple's market share in the smart phone stakes is higher than your chart suggests for this reason. I'm not saying anyone did it on purpose, just pointing it out. It's like comparing an entire genre of cars to a specific model. That's all. I hate Apple for their marketing philosophy and proprietary nature, but I Am an iPhone owner. I'm not going to let my distaste for their proprietary foibles prevent me from having the phone which suits me best. I couldn't care less about the iOS vs android war, honestly. Maybe my next phone will be an android, maybe it won't, I'm just pointing out why the statistics shouldn't be taken at face value.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:30 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Foxy now realizes all statistics are manipulated to fit a particular agenda.
Old 12-02-2011, 11:51 AM
tommygun32

I have a BB and would not purchase an Iphone simply because it's what you need to access something for another product. I also don't agree with this marketing ploy.
Old 12-02-2011, 12:27 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Foxy now realizes all statistics are manipulated to fit a particular agenda.
Um, nope, I've known for many years all marketing statistics are manipulated to serve their specific purpose. [&:] Did you know that even 'neutral' surveys are tempered by the opinions of those collecting and presenting the data completely subconsciously?
Old 12-02-2011, 08:39 PM
buggyboy2010

Own an iPhone 3GS, Cheap monthly plan, No issues, awesome phone all around. That is until I need to call Apple support, eventually I will have to and each call is 75$ and that's not even including what repairs would be if they were needed. Telus,Bell,Rogers,Fido,Virgin Etc, will not repair or do anything with Apple products ( in Canada anyways ), it has to be dealt with by Apple.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:44 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: proanti1

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

LAME AS HELL.

There is a perfectly fine argument in that other thread? Why cant it stay there?
because of the first sentence of the OP.
Old 12-02-2011, 09:54 PM
kistner

@Foxy - can I misquote you on that?

@buggyboy - wouldn't it be easier to get a new phone than shell out $75. I have weighed it out in the past and gotten a new phone instead of springing for a $20 battery

@the shark - I agree with you. but I am over it for now, this is not something (the new traxxas car) I would buy anyhow. but the esc is from castle I and I do have several of their products. I hope this does not become a trend or a restrictive 'feature'.

I guess I am way in the minority with my windows phone. I like it but it is very much two to three year old tech. My brother gets free and good phones from work every other year, I got his hand-me-down. I heard window os for phones may make a comeback as nokia is dropping the symbian os and moving them all to windows.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:45 AM
proanti1

ORIGINAL: buggyboy2010

Own an iPhone 3GS, Cheap monthly plan, No issues, awesome phone all around. That is until I need to call Apple support, eventually I will have to and each call is 75$ and that's not even including what repairs would be if they were needed. Telus,Bell,Rogers,Fido,Virgin Etc, will not repair or do anything with Apple products ( in Canada anyways ), it has to be dealt with by Apple.
You can get kits on ebay to change the battery yourself. I had to do it to my brothers 3G, it's really no harder than popping two tiny screws out from the bottom, then prying the plastic back off. You have to lift up a board to get to the battery, but it's pretty simple.
Old 12-03-2011, 06:55 AM
quietnas1

HTC My Touch (droid), wife has a Samsung Galaxy 2 (droid), daughter has a Black Berry but she also has an iPod touch and in no way was born with a silver soon in her mouth. Me and the Misses work very hard to provide our kid with the best. That being said even though Apple is just one brand the actual Android OS holds a bigger market share.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:06 AM
buggyboy2010

Had no idea!, Thanks!

And yes to fix it, It would be almost as cheap as getting a new one, But I'm locked in on a 3 year contract. The Camadian government is trying to do a standardized cell phone bill thingy, reading into it now.

ORIGINAL: proanti1

ORIGINAL: buggyboy2010

You can get kits on ebay to change the battery yourself. I had to do it to my brothers 3G, it's really no harder than popping two tiny screws out from the bottom, then prying the plastic back off. You have to lift up a board to get to the battery, but it's pretty simple.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:27 PM
mechanizeddeath

lol... Just lol.

I've owned Apple products in the past, mostly secondhand, although I've owned a few iPods from new. I don't hate Apple or the iPod, but recognize that in most cases it is easy to get a similar performing product for less money.

Some of my friends not into RC heard about the new car, and were asking me about it. Apparently to them it came across like a 100 mph RC car was revolutionary or something. I told them that just about any RC can go that speed with the right hardware, the bigger question is if you, as the owner, have the skill and the space to reach that speed safely. But that's a whole other topic altogether...

Anyway, they own iPhones which may explain how they heard about it. I guess if you don't have an iPhone and don't want one, it should be simple to borrow one from a friend for a few minutes in order to unlock the full RC smashing potential. Given the market share, I'm betting everyone knows at least someone who owns an iPhone or iPod touch.

FWIW, I have a BlackBerry and love it, mostly because of the keys. Yes, the lack of apps, especially free apps, isn't fun, but on the other hand I mostly use my phone for communication and not entertainment.
Old 12-03-2011, 08:43 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: quietnas1

HTC My Touch (droid), wife has a Samsung Galaxy 2 (droid), daughter has a Black Berry but she also has an iPod touch and in no way was born with a silver soon in her mouth. Me and the Misses work very hard to provide our kid with the best. That being said even though Apple is just one brand the actual Android OS holds a bigger market share.
my kid will have to work for the best, my theory is get them what they need, something to use for simple texts, calling friends and so they are safe and can call home, if they WANT a phone to be cool or do a bunch of unessisairy stuff, work for it kid

i have had to work for everything i wanted, and it has made me respect the dollar, respect what i have, and respect my parents for letting me live under thier roof, because money is hard to make.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:28 PM
kistner

Just noticed on the back of Model Aviation is an ad for Spektrum about a telemetry app for Apple mobile devices.
Old 12-04-2011, 07:08 AM
DaveG55

In the interest of the survey...
My family has 3 Android (2 HTC, 1 Samaung) phones, 2 Blackberry phones and 1 I-Phone (4)

As far as Traxxas limiting themselves to Apple users, I really, really think they are being short sighted there. RC'ers, especially the more "Pro" ones tend to be very techie kinds of people and could handle being able to access the "full potential" with something other that an Apple product.
I do wonder how much Apple kicked into the Traxxas pot to be the only source to unlock that potential...

My current phone is the HTC Inspire. I'm coming off the I-Phone 3g. I very much liked the 3G but when software support stopped and the phone started to slow had to move on. The Inspire is, I think, much better hardware than the 3G was. Much larger screen - important for older eyes, better memory capability with the micro SD and removable battery are just some of the things I like better. However, some of the basic software stuff like the address book and music files just to name a couple are a royal PITA in the Android compared to the Apple. Just like every other phone I have ever owned, and my first was a "bag" phone 20 years or so ago, there are things I Love about it and things I Hate about it...

As for smart phones in general, like everyone else, I have my own opinions about what is good and bad. Some of them are;
I think the I-Phone is better suited to the less tech savy person than an Android phone.
I think that Apple does a much better job making their products (devices & apps) more consumer friendly than Android does
I think Apples propritary attitude sucks, is greedy and, ironically, is limiting the amount of money they could make.
I think Android phones are way more versitile than any Apple phone. The options with memory and batterys alone are great (not to mention the software options) and give the Android phones a big leg-up in that area.
I really believe that to use even the most basic functions of an Android phone a person needs to be more tech savy. And that makes the experience less than fun for less tech oriented people.
I think that the Android phone makers are more interested in giving the consumer the things they want than Apple. Again, memory, battery options, screen size, processor, camera, etc all seem to improve faster that Apple phones.
If accessory choices are important to you then Apple has it all over Android (and other) phones. Companies seem to fall all over themselves to make "crap" for Apple devices. Probably because Apple does not really change the physical dimensions of their product as often as other phone makers do. Not to mention that there is only one Apple phone model and about a zillion other phone models (even among a given manufacturer.

Anyway, those are some of my thoughts on smart phones, for what it's worth that is.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.