Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

iRacing Question

Old 12-12-2011, 06:49 AM
dsales

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default iRacing Question

Hey guys, I'm new to the sim racing world, but recently bought a fanatec wheel and absolutely love driving games like F1 2011 and GT5. Add a whole new dimension to the games and makes them interesting again.

I'm just wondering if the next logical step up is iRacing? I've seen a few deals on their site but i'm quite confused. Take for example the usual fee is $99 for a year, then [link=http://www.iracing.com/leagues/pricing.php]here[/link] it's $49 for a year, then I found somewhere else earlier which said it's $60 or so for a year. Is the 49$ the same as the $99 deal?
Old 12-12-2011, 08:54 AM
pythonfan
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: iRacing Question

There having a Christmas deal for $49 a year.

I have to stress this part, the game only has one cockpit view, and its the only view(You can change the fov on it).

Let me fill you in on some things first because a lot of people rage after they buy. First you have to buy 90% of the tracks and cars, which range from 10-15 bucks each. You get a Legends Ford '34 Coupe rookie car, and when you make it to class D you get a Street Stock car which is your basic Pontiac firebird.

You get all the rookie tracks and all the pro-stock tracks, if y our into road racing then you get the same amount i want to say 5 in total(?) per raod/oval.

Now the ranking system works like this, you can race steady and make it to 3.5 or over and at the end of month you can get promoted. IF you keep racing and get over 4.0 you will automatically get promoted to D, then its rinse and repeat till you get to 4.0 again and make C.

Though its not very simple, you have to race really clean and that's not enough as if anyone taps you, you brush the wall, you spin it all deducts points.

This is basically what you can look forward to until you can make class C.

Here's a small video of my doing a race on south Boston and i got caught up in pickle because of a noobie driver.

Mind you in this video i'm racing with a 360 controller, the guy gets loose in front of me and spins, i go low to avoid it and the white car coming on to the track instead of still moving and going up the track he stops and i have no where to go as you can see.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5ekvYCPTK0[/youtube]

Now later on when i got my wheel and spent some money i started doing carburetor cup, and no matter how many guys you got or how clean you try to be always a wreck on the first few laps. I don't qualify because of this because if i stay in the back when they wreck i scoot right by and then there is little chance of another wreck and its clear racing. This time i wasn't so lucky and got caught up in a pretty big pile up, this wrecked my car and i was out of the race. (I suggest letting the video buffer as xfire is slow sometimes)

Here you get to see a big iracing wreck and in car view of the impala which you can use in class C racing as well.
[link=http://www.xfire.com/video/4f6cb7/]Iracing wreck[/link]

Now i apologize if your more interested in the road racing part of the game, as I've just basically covered the oval section. I don't race the road much, i do because i got friends that do but its not my thing. You get again 3-5 basic rookie tracks, then once you make it to class D you unlock another car and basic tracks.

At class D for both oval and road you unlock more but this is where you start having to pay to play.

When it all comes down to it you can look at it how much do i wanna pay to play this game? As it can get very costly, just to buy all the tracks is around 400 hundred dollars. I love it for the oval part of the game since there hasn't been a good nascar game for pc in years, my buddies who do f1/gt rfactor enjoy it but we all seemed to stop playing only 2-3weeks in.

A new upcoming Iracing alternative would be C.A.R.S from the guys who do the nfs series, there working on a really amazing simulator and is in alpha/beta atm and its i think 12 bucks and you own the game but they look for you to tell them what they need. They will have laser scanned tracks like iracing and so on, its not like any other nfs game out there so don't think oh its from nfs its gonna be bad.

TL;DR Iracing is having a Christmas deal for 49 bucks the game costs a lot of money once you start to rank up, massive amounts of grinding to level up, check out the new sim from nfs called C.A.R.S.
Old 12-12-2011, 08:57 AM
pythonfan

Delete this, meant to hit edit and hit quote.
Old 12-12-2011, 11:20 AM
dsales

Cheers Pythonfan, that's a great help. I've been looking at various sims for about a month now. I thought that iRacing was not worth $99 but I'm pretty tempted to buy it for 49. I've read about CARS and it seems to still be way too buggy. I've only got about 5 hours per week to game so I want to make the most of it.

Are there ever any offers on the cars on tracks? The prices seem extortionate but I guess that if the game is as good as all the fanboys make it out to be and the cars handle very well then I won't get tired of it.

Also if I buy the 1 year membership, then when it expires I do not renew since I get bored, but I get back into it a few years later, will I have all the cars and tracks that I bought previously when I reactivate my account or do I have to buy them again?
Old 12-12-2011, 11:41 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: pythonfan

There having a Christmas deal for $49 a year.

I have to stress this part, the game only has one cockpit view, and its the only view(You can change the fov on it).

Let me fill you in on some things first because a lot of people rage after they buy. First you have to buy 90% of the tracks and cars, which range from 10-15 bucks each. You get a Legends Ford '34 Coupe rookie car, and when you make it to class D you get a Street Stock car which is your basic Pontiac firebird.

You get all the rookie tracks and all the pro-stock tracks, if y our into road racing then you get the same amount i want to say 5 in total(?) per raod/oval.

Now the ranking system works like this, you can race steady and make it to 3.5 or over and at the end of month you can get promoted. IF you keep racing and get over 4.0 you will automatically get promoted to D, then its rinse and repeat till you get to 4.0 again and make C.

Though its not very simple, you have to race really clean and that's not enough as if anyone taps you, you brush the wall, you spin it all deducts points.

This is basically what you can look forward to until you can make class C.

Here's a small video of my doing a race on south Boston and i got caught up in pickle because of a noobie driver.

Mind you in this video i'm racing with a 360 controller, the guy gets loose in front of me and spins, i go low to avoid it and the white car coming on to the track instead of still moving and going up the track he stops and i have no where to go as you can see.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5ekvYCPTK0[/youtube]

Now later on when i got my wheel and spent some money i started doing carburetor cup, and no matter how many guys you got or how clean you try to be always a wreck on the first few laps. I don't qualify because of this because if i stay in the back when they wreck i scoot right by and then there is little chance of another wreck and its clear racing. This time i wasn't so lucky and got caught up in a pretty big pile up, this wrecked my car and i was out of the race. (I suggest letting the video buffer as xfire is slow sometimes)

Here you get to see a big iracing wreck and in car view of the impala which you can use in class C racing as well.
[link=http://www.xfire.com/video/4f6cb7/]Iracing wreck[/link]

Now i apologize if your more interested in the road racing part of the game, as I've just basically covered the oval section. I don't race the road much, i do because i got friends that do but its not my thing. You get again 3-5 basic rookie tracks, then once you make it to class D you unlock another car and basic tracks.

At class D for both oval and road you unlock more but this is where you start having to pay to play.

When it all comes down to it you can look at it how much do i wanna pay to play this game? As it can get very costly, just to buy all the tracks is around 400 hundred dollars. I love it for the oval part of the game since there hasn't been a good nascar game for pc in years, my buddies who do f1/gt rfactor enjoy it but we all seemed to stop playing only 2-3weeks in.

A new upcoming Iracing alternative would be C.A.R.S from the guys who do the nfs series, there working on a really amazing simulator and is in alpha/beta atm and its i think 12 bucks and you own the game but they look for you to tell them what they need. They will have laser scanned tracks like iracing and so on, its not like any other nfs game out there so don't think oh its from nfs its gonna be bad.

TL;DR Iracing is having a Christmas deal for 49 bucks the game costs a lot of money once you start to rank up, massive amounts of grinding to level up, check out the new sim from nfs called C.A.R.S.
What kind of processing power does this require?
Old 12-12-2011, 11:47 AM
dsales

System Requirements

Computer
•Windows XP, Windows Vista, or Windows 7
•Hyperthreaded Intel CPU, AMD Athlon 64 CPU, or any dual-core CPU
•128MB Pixel Shader 2.0 (ATI 9700Pro or nVidia 6600 or better); 256 MB Pixel Shader 3.0 (ATI X1600 or nVidia 6800 GT/GS or better) graphics adapter recommended
•1 GB system RAM
•3Gb free hard disk space
•Microphone optional, required for voice chat

Controller
•Steering wheel, analog gamepad, or joystick.

Internet Browser Requirements
•Firefox 1.5, Internet Explorer 7, Google Chrome 2.0 or newer
•Javascript enabled
•Cookies enabled
•Flash Player

Internet Connection Speed
•56K dial-up at a minimum, Broadband (DSL or Cable) highly recommended. Satellite broadband excluded.

Although who knows what it need to run decently well.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:31 PM
pythonfan

I don't see why it wouldn't still be there, your account could be pruned for inactivity if you really disappear for a few years. Don't quote me on this, i would contact them.

3 tracks or care is 10% off each car/track.
6 cars/tracks is 20% off each car/track
I forget how many you need for 25% off for car/track.
When you add all the cars/tracks to the cart its a cool 600 bucks.
You don't need to own everything to play, i bought my car and 2 tracks and I'm set for the carburetor cup. I can also use those tracks and car for other series down the line.

I like the game, i was able to score a 3 month pack for 1 month price and really enjoy the game but recently stopped playing it and lost interest.

C.A.R.S Is like i said in alpha/beta its not a released ready to ship product, there still developing it and the same goes for iracing but they at least have something solid out as is.
ORIGINAL: dsales

Cheers Pythonfan, that's a great help. I've been looking at various sims for about a month now. I thought that iRacing was not worth $99 but I'm pretty tempted to buy it for 49. I've read about CARS and it seems to still be way too buggy. I've only got about 5 hours per week to game so I want to make the most of it.

Are there ever any offers on the cars on tracks? The prices seem extortionate but I guess that if the game is as good as all the fanboys make it out to be and the cars handle very well then I won't get tired of it.

Also if I buy the 1 year membership, then when it expires I do not renew since I get bored, but I get back into it a few years later, will I have all the cars and tracks that I bought previously when I reactivate my account or do I have to buy them again?
Old 12-12-2011, 12:33 PM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm... this just might work on my crappy laptop.
Old 12-12-2011, 12:39 PM
pythonfan

Its really low, even on its highest settings i think any everyday xp pc could run this fine as long as you got a decent internet connection.

ORIGINAL: proanti1

What kind of processing power does this require?
@op

Here are all the tracks you get and cars, minus talladega which i scratched out because i bought it.
(Note i'm not class D in road so you might unlock more cars, not sure.)

Old 12-13-2011, 01:16 AM
dsales

ORIGINAL: pythonfan

(Note i'm not class D in road so you might unlock more cars, not sure.)
So you can unlock some cars for free? I also notice you have Centripedal circuit. Just saw the site and they include that free once you sign up which is good.

I'll be buying this at the weekend when I have access to my desktop. Hopeful the reduced price of $49 will still remain by then. I just read that for iRacing to laser scan Spa it cost them $200,000 so I guess $12 per track is an okay price.
Old 01-02-2012, 06:20 AM
Dokioto

I have been away from this forum for a long, long time now but just came back to take a look at whats going on.

I've been using iracing for a while now both my road and oval iratings are 3000+ and highly recommend it.
Costs catch up to you quick though.