Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Where to live?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2012, 04:17 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Where to live?

Americans complaining about America is funny as hell. I'd move anywhere in the US in a heartbeat if I didn't have commitments here.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-17007761
Old 02-16-2012, 01:09 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reopening this at the request of the OP, but you guys know the score. Anymore discussion of politics and you will leave me no choice. Stick to facts and less opinions if you can please. the first 'Republicans did this...Obama did that...' and it will be closed again.

Never let it be said that I am not a kind and benevolent God, I mean mod.
Old 02-16-2012, 01:30 AM
tommygun32

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Foxy.

OK, guys, you heard the man, let's stick to the rules please.

Old 02-16-2012, 02:43 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Come to Australia. We have some of the worlds most deadly snakes and spiders, a plethora of sea creatures that bite and sting including irukandji jellyfish that are about the size of a small coin and just touching them can kill you but don't worry they are seasonal so they are only here half of the year, and of course we have crocodiles which have been growing in numbers rapidly since they became a protected species so you can find them in just about any saltwater creek or river. We have freshwater crocs but they haven't bitten anybody yet. Most of the stuff I mentioned is in the northern half of the country where I live but the southern half has it's fair share of deadly spiders as well. So yeah come live in Australia.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:55 AM
tommygun32

Hahaha! Are these the 'redback' spiders? Or are you talking about the big hand sized hairy things with massive pincers?

And don't you have like 3 of the world's deadliest snakes there?

I would actually love to move to Australia, however, as an American voice over artist, I find it very difficult to break into that market. It's not an accent liked by many Radio and TV Stations down Under.[&o]
Old 02-16-2012, 08:02 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't forget about those jelly fish that will paralyze you for like 3 days or whatever.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:06 AM
DarkFire989

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

Cheap land (that has potential, ie grouse, geese, pheasant, deer hunting as part of land conservation / hunting / fishing camp) with guns....I'm a big fan of. I've always dreamed of doing something like that. I don't mind working hard for a good thing.

The wife prefers more of a 'downtown' or 'close to' lifestyle. But if I can find something that's a happy medium...well, that would tic all the boxes.
Sounds a lot like New England. I've lived here all my life. It's great as long as you don't mind the snow.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:25 AM
FahrtAutoRC

ORIGINAL: Foxy

HA! Priceless Foxy, we both got a giggle over here

Old 02-16-2012, 12:04 PM
J.D.T

I woulda though a guy with your money would allready have a place in NY and LA
I agree on the colorado thing, south west 4 corners area would allow you to live in a milder climate, down far enough is kinda desert just like your used to, They got great gun laws in CO, if you got the money and can fill out some 3rd grader paperwork you can get "anythin juy wannnt" Lots of critters walking flying and swimmin to hurt trap or kill, 10,000 miles of off road trails for just getting out there into it. Durango is a major city but I can't speak to there employment outlook, its right there so even woking in New Mexico, Arizona or Utah may be an option for the wife depending on where you are in relation to the corner.
Old 02-16-2012, 12:12 PM
J.D.T

542 acres for just 1.6 million or so in buck heaven southern iowa, a two hour drive to Kansas City

http://www.landsofiowa.com/land-for-...owa/id/1047068
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2012, 02:53 PM
DaveG55

I have yet to live anywehere that was "perfect" but have usually enjoyed where ever I'm at.
Tommy, I'd ask about family, living near family can sometimes mean much more than geographical area/amenities ever can.
I raised my kids away from our families (500 miles away - so not the worst, but still) and sometimes wish that they had the opertunity to be closer to their grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins. Even though we visited several time a year it's still not the same as being able to just hang-out, do sleepovers, etc as a matter of normal life and sometimes wish they had had that like we did. My kids have grown into great adults but if I had one regret about raising them, that would be it...
Old 02-16-2012, 03:14 PM
at101

SD is not so bad if you love it come here

Old 02-16-2012, 04:34 PM
HYFLYER
My Feedback: (3)

You might want to consider southeast Tenn. the Chattanooga and Cleveland area. There is lots of new industry and there is no income tax!!
Old 02-16-2012, 05:22 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

Come to Australia. We have some of the worlds most deadly snakes and spiders, a plethora of sea creatures that bite and sting including irukandji jellyfish that are about the size of a small coin and just touching them can kill you but don't worry they are seasonal so they are only here half of the year, and of course we have crocodiles which have been growing in numbers rapidly since they became a protected species so you can find them in just about any saltwater creek or river. We have freshwater crocs but they haven't bitten anybody yet. Most of the stuff I mentioned is in the northern half of the country where I live but the southern half has it's fair share of deadly spiders as well. So yeah come live in Australia.

gladly, thats where i want to live ,i would move tomorrow if i had the chance. wildlife doesnt bother me.

seeing that i live where unemployment is almost 10% (which i think is much worse) and seeing that chicago is one of the most heavily taxed and corroupted cities, i would much rather snuggle up with a crock before i live here the rest of my life.

Old 02-16-2012, 05:45 PM
FahrtAutoRC

ORIGINAL: The_Shark
t chicago is one of the most heavily taxed and corroupted states,

[&:] Poor guy haha j/p Shark

Old 02-16-2012, 05:51 PM
cutaway

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble
California's budget woes have no impact on the quality of life here...
Ummm...the amount of money you're allowed to keep in your pocket directly affects quality of life.

I fled CA back in the mid-80's. Don't regret it at all.
Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: FahrtAutoRC

ORIGINAL: The_Shark
t chicago is one of the most heavily taxed and corroupted states,

[&:] Poor guy haha j/p Shark

oops meant city, fixed now
Old 02-16-2012, 08:18 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: cutaway

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble
California's budget woes have no impact on the quality of life here...
Ummm...the amount of money you're allowed to keep in your pocket directly affects quality of life.

I fled CA back in the mid-80's. Don't regret it at all.
i could go on and on about how much i hate california, but i wont for the sake of the thread.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:12 PM
tommygun32

Thanks for holding back Shark .

WOW!! No income tax in Tennessee? How does that work HYFLYER?....wait...nevermind. That would probably include a political discussion which ain't allowed. PM me if you want, or I'll do some research.

DaveG, you've sort of hit the nail on the head about family. That's what I like about you. Unfortunately my grandparents have passed away and I lost both my 'real' parents 3 years ago. I have a step brother and step father in SD and my real brother also still lives there. Having said that, in the last month he's looking at moving to Northern Cali, just south of SF.

I spent the early years of my life in Germany with my brother and my single mom. She made the decision to move back to SD when I was 10 for the express reason for us to be closer to our grandparents. Those years had a great influence on my and my brothers upbringing. The only real close family I have left is basically my brother, and I desperately want my kids to get to know him, let him guide them a little, etc.
Old 02-16-2012, 11:36 PM
rcmichael
My Feedback: (21)

Colorado has 300 plus sunny days a year. It is not humid and has a good public school system. Plenty to do and see for the family. Also has some really great rc fields,clubs and even world class fly-ins(rc) such as The Warbirds Over The Rockies.
Old 02-17-2012, 06:46 AM
Limitless Aero
My Feedback: (17)

Well 
Texas also has no income tax.
Very cheap land and housing.
A variety from desert to coastal to forest or even grass lands I think its something like 6 out of 7 climate types. No arctic.
Weather is pretty good road my motorcycle yesterday.
Gunlaws? well... No exactly strict.
Middle of the us so no more the 2000 miles or so to anywhere.

Old 02-17-2012, 07:23 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: DaveG55

I have yet to live anywehere that was ''perfect'' but have usually enjoyed where ever I'm at.
Tommy, I'd ask about family, living near family can sometimes mean much more than geographical area/amenities ever can.
I agree with that wholeheartedly, Dave. Family is key. Sometimes this doesn't sink in until you get older though.

Sorry to hear about Tommygun's situation though, regarding family. [&:]
Old 02-17-2012, 08:08 AM
PacificNWSkyPilot
My Feedback: (19)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd like to weigh in here, with the understanding that I no longer have kids. I've lived in a number of places around the US, and right now I'm in San Antonio. Two times in two years we've had to REPLACE our lawn because it burned to DUST, and only weeds grew back. It's HOT here. It's hot in the Rio Grand Valley, but it's humid there too, so plants grow. I'm not a big Texas fan, though I live here. I'm from Maine, and can't recommend Maine either. It's a beautiful state, and if you like a pretty winter, it's great. Simply put, the economy has tanked there. The economy here in Texas has peaked, in my opinion, and I think that in the next few years there will be a tumble here. If you're fond of Texas, I'd recommend that you stay in the north, where the temps aren't deadly.
New York is in bad financial shape too, and struggling.

My wife and I have been doing the same thing you have, and these are the spots where we think the economy and the weather are both reasonable. Tennessee on the Eastern side has the mountains, and on the far side of the Blue Ridges you'll find Asheville, NC area. Their economies are not great, but not horrible at this point, and both showing some good signs of recovery. We're also looking at northern Washington state, where the houses are not out of sight, and the winters are not long or extremely cold. I should mention that we don't mind having some winter and even enjoy having some snow, but we are most pointedly trying to avoid winters like those we had in Maine. Shoveling deep snow is not a lot of fun. A few inches, no problem. Conversely, I'd rather be shoveling snow than enduring these summers, which recently have included two straight months or more of straight 100+ degree days that actually scorch plant life from the soil. This year was two months of 105+ degrees! I'm not saying I feel that I MUST leave Texas, but if we stay, somewhere north of Dallas/Ft. Worth would be more reasonable, weather-wise.

Some of the less-expensive places we've looked into have greatly-increased violent crime rates due to high unemployment. Man's inhumanity to his fellow man taking root, as it were.

Like us, I'm sure you have to look at where your career fields can be tapped into, and that's always a limiting factor when considering a relocation elsewhere.

I don't know if this has helped you any, or whether it has given you some food for thought. I hope it has.

Jim
Old 02-17-2012, 10:35 AM
jessiej

ORIGINAL: Foxy

Reopening this at the request of the OP, but you guys know the score. Anymore discussion of politics and you will leave me no choice. Stick to facts and less opinions if you can please. the first 'Republicans did this...Obama did that...' and it will be closed again.

One man's fact may be another man's politics, so you have made this rather a guessing game Foxy.

That being said, there are HUGE differences in taxes not only among the states, but in various localities. Be sure to check state and local income, sales and property taxes.

There are also enormous variations in real estate costs from one area to another. All the components making up the cost of living can and usually do vay a great deal in different areas.

Cost aside this Nation offers every thing from mountains to seashore. Factor in your favorite activities so you can compare climate, terrain and local legal regulations.

I have managed to be pretty content in a number of locales, and hope you find the place of your dreams!

jess
Old 02-17-2012, 10:57 AM
jessiej

edited to remove duplicate post.

jess

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.