Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Where to live?

Old 02-17-2012, 01:42 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts
Default RE: Where to live?

You have got to be kidding, right? There is no way these responses can't be political. But they can be civil - and really that is what should be importatn.

With that in mind - stay put. Everything you have going on there is going on here - it just isn't publicized by the media. All those so-called cheap houses that are in foreclosure are camped in by deadbeats (can I say that?) and being trashed. The "occupy" movement is becoming more violent than the "peace" movement of the 70's. Taxes are outrageous and public sector unions are soon becoming the only people getting paid - the money for them is being printed in Washington with loans from China. And the population of people illegally here is out of control. So stay put. Some day things may get better here but not for a while.

Please note I tried to be civil. I did not use any profanity or call anyone names (deadbeat was nat aimed at anyone in particular). I don't think i blaimed anyone either - I just said how I see things. So I hope my post is left untouched.

Old 02-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Eman77

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

You have got to be kidding, right? There is no way these responses can't be political. But they can be civil - and really that is what should be importatn.

With that in mind - stay put. Everything you have going on there is going on here - it just isn't publicized by the media. All those so-called cheap houses that are in foreclosure are camped in by deadbeats (can I say that?) and being trashed. The ''occupy'' movement is becoming more violent than the ''peace'' movement of the 70's. Taxes are outrageous and public sector unions are soon becoming the only people getting paid - the money for them is being printed in Washington with loans from China. And the population of people illegally here is out of control. So stay put. Some day things may get better here but not for a while.

Please note I tried to be civil. I did not use any profanity or call anyone names (deadbeat was nat aimed at anyone in particular). I don't think i blaimed anyone either - I just said how I see things. So I hope my post is left untouched.

Civil? Maybe.

Ludicrous? Definitely.

I'm quite happy where I'm at in the US of A right now. I can't imagine telling someone "Don't move here! It's horrible!!!" (We DO have a good number of states to choose from). That just seems like being overly dramatic to me.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:18 PM
GerKonig

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: rgburrill

With that in mind - stay put. Everything you have going on there is going on here - it just isn't publicized by the media. All those so-called cheap houses that are in foreclosure are camped in by deadbeats (can I say that?) and being trashed. The ''occupy'' movement is becoming more violent than the ''peace'' movement of the 70's. Taxes are outrageous and public sector unions are soon becoming the only people getting paid - the money for them is being printed in Washington with loans from China. And the population of people illegally here is out of control. So stay put. Some day things may get better here but not for a while.

Well, when people say that the taxes we pay are outrageous it proves to me 2 things a) the person does not travel abroad a lot b) does not compare his last 6 years of tax returns... Last year and the year before our income taxes were the lowest in a long time.

We have all kind of climates from hot and humid to hot and dry to cold and darn cold, end even "I cannot believe it is so cold..." To say that all foreclosed homes are occupied and being trashed is extreme (like in not true). But, everybody says the things as she/he sees them. Just that some need glasses and some not.

My 2 cents. Happy to live here in the US. Other place I like to like is the French Riviera or Provence, a lot of US retirees living there. Great climate, wine, food, beaches, etc. but you have to learn French, and summer there are crowded. At large American and French only speak one language. The south of Spain is great, and there are so many Brits that have vacation properties that everybody knows English. Too hot in summer:-)

Gerry

Gerry
Old 02-17-2012, 07:49 PM
BGCombs
My Feedback: (24)

Greenville, SC

Isothermal belt of the SE. 1.5 Hours to ATL. About the same to Charlotte. 30 minutes to mountains. 2.5 hours to the beach/Charleston. Reasonable cost of living, major manufacturing center as well as multiple corporate headquarters for Michelin, BMW N.A., Banks, and white collar businesses.

Also, multiple flying clubs, and 30 minutes to Triple Tree Aerodrome, home of the Joe Nall, E-Nall, and several other events.

Housing costs vary. Metro areas are surrounded by rural areas with open and wooded land.
Old 02-18-2012, 10:51 AM
tommygun32

Thank you guys for all the ideas and input. It's extremely appreciated. I'm bouncing all your ideas off my wife and kids and we're discussing/researching it ALL. Please keep them coming...

We don't need to discuss taxes please, That's something I can do the research on myself [8D].
Old 02-18-2012, 11:54 AM
tommygun32

This was what it I had to drive/live through this weekend...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZfxpiv7vI0&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]
Old 02-18-2012, 07:03 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Alabama! Warm summers and (almost) no snow in the winters!  Birmingham is nearest to the main rc tracks and its not too bad community-wise down there.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:23 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

This thread can go on for 500 pages with everyone telling you that where they live is the best

Old 02-18-2012, 09:10 PM
The_Shark

i still say Australia, i want to move there SO bad. new zealand also looks like a neat place but i wonder about the amount of availible jobs.

seriously, someone gives me a ticket and a job, i will hop on that plane so fast your head would spin. i would go tonight if that was the case.

its because of the lack of economy i cant get there right now, i will work my hands to the bone, break my back, strain my brain and kiss some ### but if there is nothing availible, there is nothing to do, nothing to prove. had i been on this planet 10 years ago chaces are you would be driving something designed by me, all my top secret ideas seem to appear in new cars (real cars)

ahh, im sad again now.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:49 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

i still say Australia, i want to move there SO bad. new zealand also looks like a neat place but i wonder about the amount of availible jobs.

seriously, someone gives me a ticket and a job, i will hop on that plane so fast your head would spin. i would go tonight if that was the case.

its because of the lack of economy i cant get there right now, i will work my hands to the bone, break my back, strain my brain and kiss some ### but if there is nothing availible, there is nothing to do, nothing to prove. had i been on this planet 10 years ago chaces are you would be driving something designed by me, all my top secret ideas seem to appear in new cars (real cars)

ahh, im sad again now.
There is plenty of jobs here for people who want to work but it's not all kangaroos beer and barbies, we have our problems as a nation just like any other country. If you want to see what it's like over here get a working visa and if you like what you see apply for residency.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:51 AM
tommygun32

Hey KennyKiller,

What categories of working visas are there?
Old 02-19-2012, 07:48 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tommygun32

What's the speed limit there? Looked like you were cruising along at 90mph...
Old 02-19-2012, 08:00 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

Hey KennyKiller,

What categories of working visas are there?
I'm not really an expert on working visas but you might find more info [link=http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/]here[/link]
Old 02-19-2012, 08:24 AM
tommygun32

Hahaha....sharp eyes proanti. Either that or you know how to do speed conversions from how fast the lines go past.

The 'speed limit' is 120 kph, the cameras however only go off after 150 kph, this is a 'by-pass' or 'truck road' mainly. Not a heavily used freeway. I was doing 149 [:-]

ORIGINAL: proanti1

Old 02-19-2012, 08:32 AM
tommygun32

Thanks for that link Kenny, very informative mate.
Old 02-19-2012, 08:35 AM
tommygun32

Haha, one can only hope DVP.

I enjoy reading people's passion for where they live. And who better to hear it from, eh?

There's enough bad news in the world mate, it's refreshing to find some positives, and who knows, it may just help us to make a more informative and researched decision .

ORIGINAL: Dirty_Vinylpusher

This thread can go on for 500 pages with everyone telling you that where they live is the best

Old 02-19-2012, 09:51 AM
Ttam Says Blarg

New Zealand also looks like a neat place

seriously, someone gives me a ticket and a job, i will hop on that plane so fast your head would spin.
I would move to New Zealand in a flash! Talk about perfect snow.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:59 AM
BobbyMcGee

Tommygun,

You must be stresses out. Nevada has an entire city that is based on the age-old premise of relieving stress and tension. Maybe you should check that city out.

Other than that, the US isn't what it once was twenty years ago. If I were you, I'd stay where you are.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:25 AM
proanti1

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hahaha....sharp eyes proanti. Either that or you know how to do speed conversions from how fast the lines go past.

The 'speed limit' is 120 kph, the cameras however only go off after 150 kph, this is a 'by-pass' or 'truck road' mainly. Not a heavily used freeway. I was doing 149 [:-]

ORIGINAL: proanti1

I wasn't paying attention for any signs or anything, just looks like you were flying along pretty damn fast.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:44 AM
tommygun32

Not stressed Bobby, we just really feel like a change in our lives. 20 years away from home, I realize things have changed and it's not the US I left 20 years ago.

I mean, think about it, where I live, people pull in front of a corner shop, honk their horn and someone comes running out with whatever you're looking for. People take their maid to the Friday (Sunday in the States) Brunch to watch the kids while they go and gorge themselves. There's even a hotel's restaraunt that has special 'kids & maids' menus. Maids take the kids to the park while parents sleep in the day. It is so damn hot here most of the year, grass doesn't grow unless it's totally over-watered and we all have to live inside in the air conditioning.

My kids don't know what it's like to mowe the lawn, trim the hedges, rake the leaves, have a paper route, wash and wax the car, etc for their allowance. Hell, when I was 11 years old living in Coronado, SD, we had 4 lemon trees growing in the back yard. They'd fall off the tree and rot on the ground. So I decided, on my own, to make lemonade and sell it at my stand in my front yard. My location was good, main street Orange Avenue, close to Star Park and literally right next door to the Crown Hotel/Motel. I also had a shoe shine box and I could spit polish a shoe to an almost mirror finsh. I bought the supplies with saved up money from allowance. Lots of people walking from the hotels to the base wanting their shoes shined and a cold glass of good lemonade who appreciated this young man doing the right thing. I made good money which let me buy my models, rockets, u-control planes, buy ice cream at the local Baskin Robins, go to movies and get stuff I liked from the 'Five & Dime' next to the movie theatre.

I realize it's probably not like that anymore in some locations, but I do know there are still places in the world that you can do these things. I just want my kids to learn this. To get an understanding of the value of money and earning it through their own work and intuition...that they've developed on their own. I fear that if they grow up here, they will miss out on this.

Hence, I really do appreciate all the ideas and suggestions posted in this thread.

Thanks again gents.
Old 02-19-2012, 10:58 AM
CK1
My Feedback: (60)

Received 24 Likes on 17 Posts

The RTP area of North Carolina (Raleigh ,Durham ,Chapel Hill) , The economy is better than most areas of NC . 2 hour ride to the beach ,2 hour ride to the ocean . Fly almost year round . Weather is great.
Orange county has the lowest unemployment rate in the state. Lots of great schools and top universities.
It isn't perfect , but what is ?
Old 02-19-2012, 01:43 PM
Red Scholefield
Banned
My Feedback: (9)

N. Central Florida from Inverness to Gainesville, Ocala has one of the best R/C fields in the country. Property values right now are a deal. We moved here from NY (upstate) via Huntsville, AL for 10 years. No income tax in Florida. Year round flying. 1 hr from either coast, great freshwater lakes and rivers. If you are a hunter we have lots of that. University of Florida in Gainesville for your kids eventually. Some outstanding private schools as well as decent public schools.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:48 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

ahh, im sad again now.
There is plenty of jobs here for people who want to work but it's not all kangaroos beer and barbies, we have our problems as a nation just like any other country. If you want to see what it's like over here get a working visa and if you like what you see apply for residency.
i know, im not your typical american tourist, everyplace has its issues, but that doesnt mean the issues are as big or numerous.

i know what i need to do to move but a visa is going to cost me around $2,600 and if i wanted to ship my car another $2,500 and in order for me to have a backup plan once im there i need minimum $10,000, so you get where im coming from? the place i work at now i make a whopping $6,000 a year, i am highly skilled and willing to work but i cant find work, thats my issue, i know what i need to do, but im finding it incredibly hard to do, its like trying to empty a pool with a strainer, i feel like a one legged man at a butt kicking contest.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:11 PM
jcvt

I am a dominican I give some good advises:

1)About cigar:
1+ ,

2)About the gum....
In Rd . We are not fans of second amendment, eventhough You could legally carry a handgun, It is not well seen. Usually asociated to low educated people and could become a real risk for you .
Old 02-19-2012, 04:45 PM
roncannell

A suburb of Phoenix: year round RC flying, sure it's a little warm in the summer, but I'm guessing Dubai gets warm. Only a five hour drive to San Diego and Home prices are reasonable again. Scottsdale,Gilbert,Chandler,Fountain Hills,Glendale. Direct flights out of Sky Harbor. Feb-May the Weather is amazing, but In July and August its occasionally like your video but it does not last long.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.