Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Faulty starter solenoid??

Old 04-02-2012, 05:17 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Faulty starter solenoid??

So the starter (or solenoid)in my wifes car has been funky since i purchased it (about 3 months ago). It would just click and eventually turn the engine over. Just yesterday i replaced the spark plugs. It seemed to start a lot quicker (withing about a second of the engine turning over)with the new Bosch Platinum plugs. I think thisis where the issue has comefrom. The car is a 1997, all origional starter parts. After replacing the plugs, i started it up,and it made a horrible noise. It was not the pistons hitting theplugs, but it was the starter stillturning after the engine was running! and the starter kept turning even with the key in the off position and they key out! im guessing the starter solenoid has finally met its match and has gotten stuck and kept the starter engaged. i unhooked the battery as it was the only way to shut it all off. then i hooked it back up and the starter was cranking again! ***!!?? any ideas or similar assumptions??
Old 04-02-2012, 05:30 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: Faulty starter solenoid??

Was there still power going to the starter when it was making the grinding sound? There are two possible reasons a starter will do this. The obvious problem is the solenoid, which keeps giving it power. Another problem could be the plunger, which can get stuck, keeping the bendix pinned up against the flywheel. Starter solenoids are cheap, can't hurt to replace it.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:46 AM
cumminspower5.9

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

the starter still turning while the engine was runiing was the grinding noise. i took a half day from work to replace the solenoid ($80). hopefully that fixes the whole starter issue with the clicking as well as its need to turn on its own lol. if not ill just buy a new starter too ($120) but i feel pretty confident its the solenoid.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:37 AM
The_Shark

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

really hate to say this but it sounds like a bad spot or short on the commutator, it could be the solenoid- the contact may have gotten so pitted and burned from years of hundreds of amps running though it that it can no longer get a good connection, but i had a dakota with a bad starter and it needed a new starter, it would draw 200amps just clicking- the commutator was shorted.

good luck, i hope its the solenoid!
Old 04-02-2012, 07:48 AM
cumminspower5.9

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks for the input guys. Im going to take it to autozone so they can test it out on the bench. not sure if it will tell me whats wrong with it, but just another opinion maybe. when i fugure it out and get it fixed today ill let you all know the culprit.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:03 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

really hate to say this but it sounds like a bad spot or short on the commutator, it could be the solenoid- the contact may have gotten so pitted and burned from years of hundreds of amps running though it that it can no longer get a good connection, but i had a dakota with a bad starter and it needed a new starter, it would draw 200amps just clicking- the commutator was shorted.

good luck, i hope its the solenoid!
A bad comm wouldn't cause the starter to stay running or make a constant grinding noise after the engine starts... it would just fail to work.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:59 AM
MiamizFinest

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

That happen to a guy i know, then 3 legged aliens raised from the ground and destroyed his town.........a real shame really....

LOL couldnt help it
Old 04-03-2012, 12:52 AM
Foxy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

The engaging pin in the solenoid is sticking. Once it's running, whack it (and/or the starter motor) with a rubber mallet, should cure it at least temporarily. If it sticks again, just replace it. If whacking it makes no difference it may be something else.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:16 AM
splcrazy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

why the hell are solenoids so expensive ? my brand new car didnt want to start friday after work and i was stuck in the carpark for about 15 min had a look at the fuses didnt take any out just gave them a rub like a genie turned the key and vrooom it starts up what the hell man
Old 04-03-2012, 03:59 AM
cumminspower5.9

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Well i took the starter out and made a trip to autozone. they did a bench test and "click". dead. didnt even turn, just clicked. so i just replaced the whole starter. $140, but now it starts right up every time. im pretty sure it was the solenoid, but i believe when it was turning by itself for 5 minutes while i was figuring out how to shut it off, prob burnt up the motor too lol. oh well. alll fixed and good to go now. thanks guys!
Old 04-03-2012, 03:13 PM
DaveG55

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know it can be just the solinoid but my experience (40+ years of fixing my own vehicles) leads me to just replace the entire thing the first time around. I have found that the cost is not all that much greater and I know that I've got a working system - barring getting a bad part that is...
Old 04-03-2012, 07:53 PM
1320Fastback

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I know the problem is fixed but for anyone else try to replace the contacts and plunger.

For less than $20.00 its a easy fix. Like said above, over the years and the 100's of Amps that pass thru them the contacts do wear out and the plungers can get stuck from all the dust and grime that can make its way inside.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db84477.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	1746522   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31275.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	1746523