Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Bad front CV-axles

Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bad front CV-axles

Will bad front cv axles cause excessive/odd tread wear?
Old 04-30-2012, 08:24 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Bad front CV-axles

I'd check the alignment first... !
Old 04-30-2012, 08:39 AM
cumminspower5.9

well i had a balance and alignment when i got them put on last year.
Old 04-30-2012, 08:48 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hope they did a good job on alignment then.. !
Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 AM
The Hedgehog

Should probably get it fixed anyway
Old 04-30-2012, 08:50 AM
FahrtAutoRC

If the alignment is fine then I would give a look at the wheel bearing, ball joints and tie rod ends (inner and outer). Cv axles would not have anything to do with it, in my experience.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:00 AM
cumminspower5.9

well either way i plan on replacing the axles next week. i will probably look into the tire wear issue more when i get new tires from sams club (michelin x-radials) its an 80k mile tire compared to a 20k mile tire. i just wanted to know if the bad axle would have anything to do with it
Old 04-30-2012, 01:10 PM
FahrtAutoRC

Doubtful but i would fix it before new tires, otherwise they will just wear weird too, and once you do fix it, and they level out, they wont be as good as they could be!
Old 04-30-2012, 02:14 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you know that your CV's are bad? you could have a wheel bearing(s) that are so bad they act like bad CV, a bad CV will not cause abnormal tire wear, however bad wheel bearings, ball joint, tie rods, struts, balance ect. can.
Old 05-01-2012, 04:17 AM
cumminspower5.9

Well it is either the cv axle, axle bearing or both. whenever i turn a corner, you hear clicking, which is a classic sign one of the two are shot. they have been doing it for about 3 months now so lol, something is worn.
Old 05-01-2012, 10:55 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Short answer, no. The CV joints have nothing to do with the wheel bearings or alignment. They can, in no way, effect suspension geometry. Unless the CV joints are making noise, there is no reason to change them. Get your suspension looked at, you might have a bad bushing somewhere, or the alignment was not done properly. Tire pressure can also play a huge role with wear patterns.
Old 05-01-2012, 11:36 AM
cumminspower5.9

well there is clicking in both sides of the transaxle, so it is either the cv axles or the bearings are destroyed. cause it sounds like the balls in the bearings are shot and not in the race anymore, and are just rolling all over
Old 05-01-2012, 11:46 AM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

well there is clicking in both sides of the transaxle, so it is either the cv axles or the bearings are destroyed. cause it sounds like the balls in the bearings are shot and not in the race anymore, and are just rolling all over
could be both too[]
Old 05-01-2012, 11:55 AM
cumminspower5.9

hey if its both, they are only $60 a piece for the axles, bearings $15 a piece. not an expensive fix. ill even do it myself
Old 05-01-2012, 12:02 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: cumminspower5.9

hey if its both, they are only $60 a piece for the axles, bearings $15 a piece. not an expensive fix. ill even do it myself
what kind of car/ setup is it? some are easy as pie, some bearings rust into place and some have CV axles that don't come out unless you un-clip it from the trans-axle (requires opening the trans)
Old 05-01-2012, 12:24 PM
cumminspower5.9

its a 2001 hyundai accent with the 1.6l. its automatic as well.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:00 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Do some looking on those bearings, if they are pressed fit into the hub assembly then sometimes it is just simply less work and easier to ante up on the whole assembly ($50+ depending on car) and replace that as well. I've had to do a few that way in the past, lacking a proper arbor press. In all honesty, the chain of events seems obvious to me. A bad CV axle has every chance in the world at putting undue stress on wheel bearings, and wheel bearings can make the difference in a LOT of things!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:27 AM
sparky 25

Jack one front wheel up off the ground and spin the wheel,

Listen for roughness or a slight crackleing sound,

Also grab the wheel top and bottom and test for play in the bearing this way also,

To be honest your cv's may be shot,

But with bad tire wear it sounds more like worn bottom ball joints on the lower suspension arm,

Or worn bushings on the suspension arm.
Old 05-02-2012, 11:09 AM
The_Shark

yeah if those are pressed in, fogettabout it! unless you have a massive press take the entire knuckle somewhere and pay them to press them in, Hyundai bearings are a bear and usually shatter.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:26 AM
cumminspower5.9

well i've got an appt. for my car and the cv axles next weekend. my buddy is gonna do them as well as my wifes oil pump gasket in her 97 camry. hopefully all is well after that!
Old 05-16-2012, 04:32 AM
Blkft1

Not sure if uyou had it repaired yet but from my experience when there is a popping noise especially when turning its a c-v shaft.If it is a growling noise its usually a bearing or a really bad/defective tire[s], which is not that uncommon. C-V shafts shouldnt be hard to change depending on the hub/axle nut, go ahead and replace the output shaft seals on the transmission while your at it as they can be pretty cheap. It also looks like the bearing comes as a complete bearing/hub assemby too, a little more expensive but a heck of alot easier and cheaper than having the old ones pressed out and new bearings pressed in. Go ahead and do both sides. I do quite a bit of these, its how I feed all my hobbies.

When you had the tires and alignment done the shop SHOULD have mentioned/suggested if you have worn suspension parts, its how they make money. When was the last time you had the front struts, strut mount/bearing and rear shocks changed? Have you owned the car since new? Most cars have never had them replaced by the owner especially if they are front wheel drive and use a strut since they can be kind'a spendy to buy and have replaced in a shop, on top of that it may need to be realigned again. Plus it takes a strut spring compressor to to complete the job. Bad shocks can also cause weird tire wear and suspension fatigue also.

Good luck!
Old 05-16-2012, 06:03 AM
cumminspower5.9

I have had the car for about 3 years now. the previous owner had it since new. all parts are origional. the shop that I have gone to has not mentioned anyhting about worn suspension parts, but I have a feeling one of my front struts are bad. One side is soft and will compress nice and smooth when pushing down on the front, but the drivers side strut is hard as a rock and will not compress under any pressure pushing down on the hood. its wierd
Old 05-16-2012, 07:15 AM
The_Shark

thats funky, maybe the side that compresses has a broken spring?
Old 05-16-2012, 07:41 AM
cumminspower5.9

nope, no broken spring. cheked it. im thinking its the strut cylinder itself. I've been thru my fair share of funky car issues lol. from buying a olds cutlass with a blown head gasket, and selling it with 2 dead cylinders (no freaking clue why, had shops look as well as a 30 year mechanic for ford)

Old 05-16-2012, 11:24 AM
The_Shark

a bad strut usually goes "clunk clunk clatter clatter" when driving straight and quiets while turning, and pops when you first turn the wheel. also they usually leak and the car gets really bouncy.

I have never heard of a strut "freeze" up..... who knows? there is a first for everything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.