Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

VW BUGS

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2012, 05:48 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VW BUGS

I don't give a crap about anyone else's opinions, its my car, its my tastes. I will put a dodge engine in my vette if I had the dough.
Hear hear.

People will always moan about what motor people put in what car and how it's sacrilege etc.
If it works and you like it - go for it.

And if it pisses off a few people along the way - even better.

Old 06-13-2012, 06:13 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Dirty_Vinylpusher

I don't give a crap about anyone else's opinions, its my car, its my tastes. I will put a dodge engine in my vette if I had the dough.
Hear hear.

People will always moan about what motor people put in what car and how it's sacrilege etc.
If it works and you like it - go for it.

And if it pisses off a few people along the way - even better.

life is too short to live your life by others ideals.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:46 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

you say that know.  but when you show up at a vw event and see peoples less than thrilled look when they see whats in the back of the car and all respect goes out the window.  and you get to talking to people and they find out your the guy with the subaru engine, and its like "...oh..." and all of the sudden it's the 1940's, in the south and your black.  they may not lynch ya, but you're a second class citizen.  you want to walk around all day at a show feeling like a fish out of water that's your business.  

then there's the V8 guys who just wont care cause it's a bug, with a ricer engine.  unless you outrun them on a drag strip they're going to look down there noses at you (which they would do anyway, cause you've got half the cylinders and your engines in the back and your car is a german econobox)

then you've got the import guys who act like you wasted a good engine by sticking it in a crappy old chassis.

and then there's resale value.  with an air cooled motor it's worth something.  with the wrong engine it's worth nothing.  have fun trying to give it away.

and then there's the whole, you still won't be any faster than a car with a modified air cooled engine.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:55 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

you say that know. but when you show up at a vw event and see peoples less than thrilled look when they see whats in the back of the car and all respect goes out the window. and you get to talking to people and they find out your the guy with the subaru engine, and its like "...oh..." and all of the sudden it's the 1940's, in the south and your black. they may not lynch ya, but you're a second class citizen. you want to walk around all day at a show feeling like a fish out of water that's your business.

then there's the V8 guys who just wont care cause it's a bug, with a ricer engine. unless you outrun them on a drag strip they're going to look down there noses at you (which they would do anyway, cause you've got half the cylinders and your engines in the back and your car is a german econobox)

then you've got the import guys who act like you wasted a good engine by sticking it in a crappy old chassis.

and then there's resale value. with an air cooled motor it's worth something. with the wrong engine it's worth nothing. have fun trying to give it away.

and then there's the whole, you still won't be any faster than a car with a modified air cooled engine.

All of the above are good points.....

.....if you care about any of that and are worried about keeping up with the Joneses.
Alternatively you can do what you want, not hang around any of the horrible people you mentioned and just have fun.

I know which one I'd rather do.

Now give it a rest.
This is a fun thread and it would be nice if it could keep going and have more people share their VW related stories and pictures.

Old 06-13-2012, 07:28 PM
joebahl
My Feedback: (2)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Dirty_Vinylpusher

ORIGINAL: joebahl

I have built a couple VW's when i was young putting 327 chevy motors in them and a rolls front end kit. When the new style bug came out i tried putting one backwards on a chevell frame and using to new big tail lights for head lights in the middle ,my parents got wind of it and stoped me saying i would have gotten to many tickets. I moved on building old willys jeeps and never returned to the VW's. I still think it would have been cool getting passed by a VW on the exspressway at 70 mph going backwards. joe

They did that in Sweden with a Saab many many years ago.
Twin V4 motors in the front.... although in this case, in the back, as it was meant to drive backwards....
I'm not sure if it ever drove but it was featured in a couple of magazines, and my dad reckons he saw it once at some car show.

(Note the flared pants)

Also found this..... which I'm not too sure about [&:]

We were a bunch of farm boys with alot of junk parts and tools .There was a old man down the gravel road ,they called him the junk farmer cause he had 50 ackers of old tractors and cars/trucks .The junk farmer told us kids if we took parts off of tractors that he sold to farmers who could not find old tractor parts we could dig through his 50 ft high mountain of motors for a hemi or take any car parts we needed. lol We were kids in a candy store ! I bought a willys pannel truck off of him and through a 327 in it and got it running for my high school ride.We had alot of fun building crazy stuff when i was young. joe
Old 06-13-2012, 07:33 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

as someone who drives a late model, or fat chick as they are ball bustingly called (and a super beetle at that) i can assure you, they are pretty much all like that.  if you want to hang around with other VW's there's no avoiding it.  the only saving grace iv got are those people who put widened fiberglass fenders, or aftermarket tail lights, or non air cooled engines in their cars.  as long as people keep doing that i won't be on the bottom rung.

and what the hell here's an interesting vw story to keep this thread legit.  
back in 09' i was rolling with a vw club.  bug-in weekend i went to the club meeting Saturday night.  my bug was giving me problems, wasn't running quite right.  im still hell bent on going to the show the next day, but im thinking im not taking my bug.  club members bust my balls.  so at like 6am Sunday morning i drive from Long Beach to Fullerton to meet up with the rest of the club.  car still not running quite right.  we hit a doughnut shop.  car still not running quite right.  jump on the freeway.  40 miles later get off the freeway.  im sitting on cherry just outside of the california speedway (where the show was held) waiting to make a left turn into the parking lot and the engine dies.  im cranking the key, it wont start.  my fellow club members jump out of there bugs and push start me right there in the left turn lane.  i now have to hold the throttle and keep blippnig throttle, keeping the RPM's up to keep it running.  got into the show, parked, walked away.
hit the swap meet, the car show, and watched some drag racing.
about 4pm we all packed up and left.  bug started right up.  left the track, cars not running right. its got a miss.  made it all the way to the 22 freeway (probably 20 miles) and the miss is getting bad.  hit the 405 freeway, there were times im pretty sure the engine wasn't running.  for several seconds at a time.  my foot is glued to the floor and im struggling to do 65mph.  cars speeding up and slowing down.  got off the 405, had to keep the RPM's up to keep the engine running.  the engine died as i was parking in front of my house.  damn thing got me home.  and, whatever was wrong with the engine fixed itself, didn't have another problem for 3 years.
that was probably one of my best VW days and one of my better VW stories
Old 06-14-2012, 06:18 AM
kaiser01

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

Do you drive it much?!

ORIGINAL: kaiser01

the only vw i have left:

74 std, 1915cc, straight cut & welded gears, fast little bugger.

the seats are kind of comfortable, until you take a turn, it's hard to stay in them. lol

i used to until i had an engine fire a couple of years ago, now it's in peices in my garage. i'm getting ready to put it back in.

on motors:

i wouldn't call myself a purist by any means but i would never put a subie motor in a vw. i have friends that have and they are cool and all, but whats cooler is my 150hp aircooled screaming down the drag strip.
the sounds, the smell, the feel, nothing beats a nicely balanced type 1 motor, except a nicely balanced type 4 motor.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:27 AM
Twin_Flyer
My Feedback: (4)

I have an '80 MGB and there are the same types in that group as well.

For me, as long as it runs, who cares.

For now, its mostly stock. If I had the $$ id drop a V8 in it and have some fun. have a Rover all aluminum 3.1 (?) in the garage, but it needs a full rebuild, plus I have seen a few done well with a Ford 283/302.

Whatever makes you happey in the end is what counts!

Bill S.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:58 AM
eddieC

I have an '80 MGB and there are the same types in that group as well.
For me, as long as it runs, who cares.
For now, its mostly stock. If I had the $$ id drop a V8 in it and have some fun. have a Rover all aluminum 3.1 (?) in the garage, but it needs a full rebuild, plus I have seen a few done well with a Ford 283/302. 
The MG-V was offered briefly, an aluminum Buick V-6 IIRC. Weighed about 40 lbs less than the stock I4 iron tractor engine.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:21 AM
Twin_Flyer

MGRV8. MG/Rover actually bought the rights to the Buick 215 V8 and produced it under the Rover name. Was one of the longest production engines runs too, being bumped up in size every few years.

40 pounds less is what i read as well, and double the HP of the i4 in stock form. Now, the Ford 283 with aluminum heads/intake is only a few pounds over the I-4 engine, (who runs stock!?) and more HP.

if i win the lottery, instead of building my B up, I might spring for one of these babys...

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...0_first_drive/

its only money after all lol

Bill S.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:55 AM
eddieC

Nice, TF! So it was a V-8, the memory gets a bit sketchy.  At $58K, not too bad considering all the work and engineering. Sounds like the Armstrong lever shocks are gone, a big improvement.
Old 06-14-2012, 11:07 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

DAAAAYMMMNn you guys make me want my "63 bug back!
Old 06-14-2012, 11:27 AM
Twin_Flyer

This might be a project next year, if I sell one of my other rides. While not a bug, it does use its engine!

http://badasstrikecompany.webs.com/

Never really had a desire to own a bug, though I did drive a friends VW Thing once, and whished i owned that. Love funky things...

Bill S.
Old 06-14-2012, 12:34 PM
hsukaria

I have good memories of my old air-cooled VW's.

First car, 72 Super Beetle I got for my 17th birthday from my uncle. Crashed 4 times and burned engine once before I got it. Had a leaky sunroof with caulking around to slow down the leaks.
72 Karmann Ghia, completely stock, except exhaust.
70 Bus, with Weber progressive downdraft carb. and aftermarket exhaust.
63 Karmann Ghia, totally rebuilt inside and out. Only upgrades were 12 Volt Alternator (Motorola), Bosch 009 Centrifugal Advance distributor, bore kit to 1400 cc (from 1200 cc), and aftermarket exhaust. Beautiful. I stupidly sold it after a fender-bender.
Old 06-14-2012, 04:42 PM
oldbugs
My Feedback: (16)

Man I wish I still had my '63 vert or my '64 sedan......You guys are killin me!!!
Old 06-16-2012, 05:20 PM
elven wizard

Daily driver. My most reliable car

Old 06-16-2012, 05:25 PM
Twin_Flyer

VERY nice!! Love the wheels, would look good om my B!

Where is your user name from? Reference to NCIS or a game??>

Thanks,
Bill S.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:37 PM
elven wizard

Oh I made the name up. There's similiar names out there, just think mine's unique. I'm also on the UFO forums. I'm a maintenance freak on that Vw. I change the oil once a week and always check everything out.
Old 06-16-2012, 05:44 PM
Twin_Flyer

WHY would you change the oil ONCE A WEEK!?

is it leaking that bad you are basically adding that much to it each time or...???

Seems like a real waist of $$$

Bill S
Old 06-16-2012, 05:58 PM
elven wizard

That's a good question. Why do I change the oil once a week. I use to rebuild engines and saw the insides of engines with high miles and hardly any oil changes. Scorned cylinder wall, shot bearing, carbon build up everywhere etc. Regular oil changes are good but not enough. I also have a 98 Hyundai Accent with once a week oil changes nearing 500,000 miles on the odometer. On the original engine. My brother drives it long distances everyday. A cleaner running engine will last a long time. Among other maintenance I do. I have been driving this VW for many years close to 30 miles a day and not one problem with the engine. Runs like new and I always do the valve adjstments every thousand miles. By the way I only put Chevron and Shell gas in my cars.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:22 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

you say that know. but when you show up at a vw event and see peoples less than thrilled look when they see whats in the back of the car and all respect goes out the window. and you get to talking to people and they find out your the guy with the subaru engine, and its like ''...oh...'' and all of the sudden it's the 1940's, in the south and your black. they may not lynch ya, but you're a second class citizen. you want to walk around all day at a show feeling like a fish out of water that's your business.

then there's the V8 guys who just wont care cause it's a bug, with a ricer engine. unless you outrun them on a drag strip they're going to look down there noses at you (which they would do anyway, cause you've got half the cylinders and your engines in the back and your car is a german econobox)

and then there's resale value. with an air cooled motor it's worth something. with the wrong engine it's worth nothing. have fun trying to give it away.

lets see... I used to own and drive a miata, I wear 5 toed shoes, I smoke tobacco from a wood pipe, I listen to rush, creed, coldplay, flogging molley, volbeat and various odd, uncharacteristic music (along with metallica, mudvayne, linkin park and other more mainstream) I throw boomerangs, I prefer a .45 single action revolver over any semi auto, I'm a cat and reptile person, my favorite color is dark purple, I drink beer for the flavor not the effect, I actually enjoy listening to women ( yes, I'm straight as an arrow.) dolphins piss me off.

I'm a very very strange fellow, an outcast, a loner, and I wouldn't have it any other way, life is too short to live your life on others reflections, unlike the dog, I don't bark mindlessly when I hear another dog bark.

I don't care WHO makes the engine, if its better, faster and affordable I'm going to use it, sure, I would much rather throw in a air cooled Porsche motor, but unless i'm rich, a Subaru will do.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:26 PM
elven wizard

I had a 1990 Miata. I like to have one again. That was such a good car.
Old 06-16-2012, 06:38 PM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: elven wizard

I had a 1990 Miata. I like to have one again. That was such a good car.
mine was a 92, so very fun, However i looked like a bear in a clown car, then my dad's 350 pound friend wanted a ride, it got pissed off and died randomly (was cruising at 30, not a clutch stall) it never did that again, we must have looked really really weird, me a 6'2 guy and mike a 6'4 350 guy in a tiny convertible with the top down... scary.

Old 06-16-2012, 08:32 PM
elven wizard

Ya I've seen a few big guys in a Miata and it does look wierd. You kinda think how did they fit in there. I am 5'7 140 pounds and it was tight even for me.
Old 06-16-2012, 10:23 PM
Twin_Flyer

In the past I owned an '84 Dodge Rampage with a 2.4 L I-4. I regularly went well over 3k miles between oil changes, sometimes as much as 10K. Drove that thing daily for seven years. That truck was still going at 275,000 miles and didnt burn any oil when i sold it...

It did eat the timming belt every 80K miles, and regulators only lasted 1.5 years, and had to rebuild the carb once.

I can understand wanting to keep the engine clean not get gummed up, but... wow.

Bill S.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.