Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

VW BUGS

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 11:17 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: VW BUGS

ORIGINAL: The_Shark

lets see... I used to own and drive a miata, I wear 5 toed shoes, I smoke tobacco from a wood pipe, I listen to rush, creed, coldplay, flogging molley, volbeat and various odd, uncharacteristic music (along with metallica, mudvayne, linkin park and other more mainstream) I throw boomerangs, I prefer a .45 single action revolver over any semi auto, I'm a cat and reptile person, my favorite color is dark purple, I drink beer for the flavor not the effect, I actually enjoy listening to women ( yes, I'm straight as an arrow.) dolphins piss me off.

I'm a very very strange fellow, an outcast, a loner, and I wouldn't have it any other way, life is too short to live your life on others reflections, unlike the dog, I don't bark mindlessly when I hear another dog bark.

I don't care WHO makes the engine, if its better, faster and affordable I'm going to use it, sure, I would much rather throw in a air cooled Porsche motor, but unless i'm rich, a Subaru will do.

If you ever do make it to Australia be sure to look me up.
I think we could kill an afternoon over a beer or 10

Old 06-17-2012, 05:30 AM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Twin_Flyer

WHY would you change the oil ONCE A WEEK!?

is it leaking that bad you are basically adding that much to it each time or...???

Seems like a real waist of $$$

Bill S
well, i guess if you have the money and willing to take the time, why not? (i guess mother nature will be pissed though) I go every 2k with synthetic oil in my baby, and it comes out pretty clean when I drain it.

but honestly, I don't think too much good would come from changing it once a week vs every 2K miles, the oil filter is able to filter out pretty much everything during that time.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:37 AM
The_Shark

ORIGINAL: Dirty_Vinylpusher

lets see... I used to own and drive a miata, I wear 5 toed shoes, I smoke tobacco from a wood pipe, I listen to rush, creed, coldplay, flogging molley, volbeat and various odd, uncharacteristic music (along with metallica, mudvayne, linkin park and other more mainstream) I throw boomerangs, I prefer a .45 single action revolver over any semi auto, I'm a cat and reptile person, my favorite color is dark purple, I drink beer for the flavor not the effect, I actually enjoy listening to women ( yes, I'm straight as an arrow.) dolphins piss me off.

I'm a very very strange fellow, an outcast, a loner, and I wouldn't have it any other way, life is too short to live your life on others reflections, unlike the dog, I don't bark mindlessly when I hear another dog bark.

I don't care WHO makes the engine, if its better, faster and affordable I'm going to use it, sure, I would much rather throw in a air cooled Porsche motor, but unless i'm rich, a Subaru will do.

If you ever do make it to Australia be sure to look me up.
I think we could kill an afternoon over a beer or 10

can do, little by little I will make it there, I'm going to save almost every red cent and take out a student loan. I have to find out where I will locate though.

Old 06-17-2012, 01:22 PM
elven wizard

Here's pictures of the Hyundai's Accent's. On the second page I said about the one Hyundai was nearing 500,000 miles. I checked the odometer and it needs another 50,000 miles more to reach that. All these Hyundai's have the original engine's.

98 Hyundai Accent

odometer

dash

Engine always kept clean. Everything else around the engine has been replaced. Starter, alternater, belts, spark plug wires, chassis - 2 sets of shocks, radiater, battery, hoses, fuel pump ( was still working at 400,000 miles changed for safe keeping) fuel injectors are original. once a week oil changes !

a well pitted hood - that hood has seen lots and lots of miles

2005 Hyundai Accent - my other driver

barely broken in, it has baby miles still. Around 200,000 this car will start to be broken in

2005 have a slightly bigger Hyundai engine than the 98

97 Hyundai Accent

196,374 runs like a bat out of hell !

Jack in the box antenna ornament. Been 3 years on there. Longest lasting Jack ornament that hasn't been stolen - kinda nice

Beanie still intact after all the hard weather conditions. Sun, rain, high winds amazing !

My other VW. 1974 VW 412

I really get looks in this car.
One old guy I know calls it the "Hitler car" another old guy starts talking in German, he really gets emotional when he see's it, like old world German talk. Wish I can understand what he says.
Another person says here comes the Panama Noriega car. People literally stop and stare when I drive it in town. Sometimes when I come out of the store there's always people standing around it.
I am always asked "can I see the engine" ? When I lift up the front hood the shock I see on there faces. [X(] Then I take them to the back of the car, point to the cargo area and say "were is the engine" ? There in awe like "were is the engine that powers this thing" ?? A lot of people don't know about these cars.

This car has a Eberspächer gas heater.

Engine's in these are also a Porsche 914.

Like my paint job. This was from a box of paint cans. No orange peel by the way. Ewwwww hate orange peel. Also no runs

Old 06-17-2012, 01:51 PM
lee172

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

you say that know. but when you show up at a vw event.
I dont know about the US, but in the UK, VW guys have crappy taste, i actually like VW's but when some pleb sticks a bonnet bra on his pride and joy it makes me laugh.

I therefore dread to think what abominations would appear at a VW event, sticking the 'wrong' engine in is the least of their problems.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:51 AM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

lets see... I used to own and drive a miata, I listen to creed, coldplay, I'm a cat person, my favorite color is dark purple, I actually enjoy listening to women( yes, I'm straight as an arrow.)
not calling you a lier, but given the evidence, i find that very hard to believe.

ORIGINAL: elven wizard

My other VW. 1974 VW 412

I really get looks in this car.
One old guy I know calls it the "Hitler car" another old guy starts talking in German, he really gets emotional when he see's it, like old world German talk. Wish I can understand what he says.
Another person says here comes the Panama Noriega car. People literally stop and stare when I drive it in town. Sometimes when I come out of the store there's always people standing around it.
I am always asked "can I see the engine" ? When I lift up the front hood the shock I see on there faces. [X(] Then I take them to the back of the car, point to the cargo area and say "were is the engine" ? There in awe like "were is the engine that powers this thing" ?? A lot of people don't know about these cars.

This car has a Eberspächer gas heater.

Engine's in these are also a Porsche 914.

Like my paint job. This was from a box of paint cans. No orange peel by the way. Ewwwww hate orange peel. Also no runs

wow, you don't see those everyday. im not even sure they sold those in the US. cool
and props on the heater

Old 06-18-2012, 10:53 AM
suburban_hooligan

ORIGINAL: lee172

ORIGINAL: suburban_hooligan

you say that know. but when you show up at avw event.

I dont know about the US, but in the UK, VW guyshave crappy taste, i actually like VW's but when some pleb sticks a bonnet braon his pride and joy it makes me laugh.

I therefore dread to think what abominations wouldappear at a VW event, sticking the 'wrong' engine in is the least of theirproblems.

we don't allow bad taste. well aside from those volksrod idiots. we just kind of roll our eyes or *facepalm* at those things. 99% of them would be better used as scrap metal. some of them probably aren't even safe to be driving.but when it comes to the main scene we keep sheet metal stock or as close to it as possible. we typically only use original or original repop accessories. we typically stick to traditional one or two color paint jobs. we typically stick to traditional wheels. we typically run stock interiors (with aftermarket stereos, but usually don't get to crazy withthem). engines are where we get crazy. if you're not going to roll it stock maybe with original performance parts keeping it era correct, then you want something with mega power and a set of duel IDA weber carb's. or maybe even a turbo.
things have gotten kinda strict as far as modifications. cutting the factory hole in your dash to use a modern head unit almost nominates you for a dumbass award. vw guys out here tend to stick to tradition and build with traditional parts. not a lot of weirdness or strange alterations. the credo seems to be "if you can't turn it back to factory stock with basic hands tools, don't do it."

the V8 scene is kind of the same way out here.i guess "resto mods" are popular elsewhere in the country, but if you hit a show out here in so cal you'd never know it. you see it every show. somebody will see a car they seem to like. they walk up, check it out, notice it has 17" wheels, a modern stereo in the dash, disc brakes a modern engine. they then turn up there noses and walk away wondering how someone could defile a chevelle like that. seems the thing to do here is build the cars era correct cars. traditional is the style all car cultures seem to stick to out here. been that way for a while now.

the vintage import guys are even getting in on it.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:38 PM
elven wizard

suburban_hooligan yup it's a one of a kind. The 412 drives very smooth on the highway. You might say a comfy kind of a ride. Steering is fun being so light up front. Seats have a heavy well made feeling to it. These were fantastic cars.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:03 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

My mum used to have one of these way back in the day.

I put my elbow through the front guard where it had rusted out around the aerial.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3RD-hG4nbc[/youtube]

Love these old car commercials.

Here's another cool one.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1qB0lb401ZU[/youtube]

Old 06-18-2012, 08:39 PM
elven wizard

That video saying the VW is covered with 13 pounds of paint. I still see VW's around town with the original paint and still holding up. Also VW's famous vacuum sealed door shut sound. Like's it's air locked inside. Amazing how sealed tight these cars are.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:44 PM
The_Shark

daaaaaamn elven, making a hyundia last almost 500K??? thats a mixture of easy driving, great maintenance and luck. did the sub-frame rust out yet?

yes I know suburban Hooligan, hard to believe, I'm a rare breed where I actually like intellectual music, small cars, and respect women and still remain the way god intended. my mother IS my father figure and nurturer, my father is a living warning, he is weak, he is deceptive, he is lazy, I can only think of a handful of times he didn't disappoint me.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:00 PM
elven wizard

Yup Shark talked to the Hyundai company to put it in a commercial. They checked the vin, and smog tests and they said yup it's got the original engine. They got really excited. It's driven close to 100 miles a day. Can't wait till it hits 500,000 miles. It's runs fantastic. Were just going to keep running and running and running it. People said it would die at 150,000 cause it's a Hyundai engine, nope then they said 250,000 nope now it's at 452,041. Remarkable !

About the rust there's not rust underneath, just were area's like the bolts around the engine. Plastic parts like the speaker cover in the back of the hatch have cracked and disintegrated and other small plastic parts. Some plastics just tend to fade and dry out were sun hit's it the most.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:44 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

2 more pics.

The fist one is a creation we came across on our travels.
I guess the old bus was beyond repair so they stuck it on the back of that truck....

The second is from some newspaper around the time when the new Beetle was being released.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13170.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	134.8 KB
ID:	1773681   Click image for larger version

Name:	Lh18726.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	78.5 KB
ID:	1773682  
Old 06-19-2012, 04:19 AM
elven wizard

There's a VW Bug around town were the guy chopped the body were back seat was and put a flatbed. It's a VW bug truck now. It looks something like this

Old 06-19-2012, 06:45 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

Elven, PLEASE, it's 'where', not 'were' . Big difference, especialyy for a pseudo-intellectual.

Saw this at the airport just yesterday:
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Yw66560.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	1773733  
Old 06-19-2012, 09:01 AM
elven wizard

eddieC, I didnt do to good in engish class. I was alseep That Squareback looks like a 73 or 74 version. If you havent had a chance to drive one there unlike any other car out there. At certain speeds The Squareback just floats and is so smooth. Smoother than the Cadillac I use to have. This is because it's so light. It's quite an amazing feeling.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:09 AM
eddieC
My Feedback: (2)

eddieC, I didnt do to good in engish class. I was alseep  
You were better than me. I was just high.   

A buddy had a squareback in HS, a great car.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:13 AM
elven wizard

Ha, in my High school seems like everyone was high on something. Man those were wild years !

Old 06-19-2012, 09:59 AM
hsukaria

daaaaaamn elven, making a hyundia last almost 500K??? thats a mixture of easy driving, great maintenance and luck. did the sub-frame rust out yet?

yes I know suburban Hooligan, hard to believe, I'm a rare breed where I actually like intellectual music, small cars, and respect women and still remain the way god intended. my mother IS my father figure and nurturer, my father is a living warning, he is weak, he is deceptive, he is lazy, I can only think of a handful of times he didn't disappoint me.
Shark, you've got issues man!!!

It's amazing what doctors can do with medications these days.

But seriously, get yourself a '63 Karman Ghia, it will solve your "issues". It worked for me.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:12 AM
elven wizard

Karman Ghia is one of the most beautiful cars ever made

Old 06-19-2012, 10:40 AM
suburban_hooligan

^^^ hacked rag!

ghia's are cool.  i like'm slammed

but "low lights" are where its at

and sense im throwing up pic's.  how about a another 412.  took this pic at bug-in 37 back in april.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:42 AM
kaiser01

TYPE 34 ghia, the ugly duckling, but cool as heck.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:50 AM
suburban_hooligan

i think this thread needs race cars

and last but no least.  the original lightning bug!
Old 06-19-2012, 11:05 AM
hsukaria

Oh Yeah!!! Bring them on!!!

Looking at the original post...comfortable seats... The '63 Ghia I had many years ago had been sitting abandoned for a few years before I bought it from the owner. Everytime I sat in it before the restoration, I would get skin itching all over my body[:@]. The old seats had STRAW over metal springs, no foam in those days. The straw must have got something nasty in them from rotting that caused my skin to itch so bad. Needless to say, the seats were not re-used for the restoration.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:12 AM
elven wizard

Very nice pictures. My BMW 320i had that seat problem. I was told it was horse hair in those seats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.