Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

camera suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 08:59 PM
s7jstep1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default camera suggestions

im looking at getting a camera that will take good pictures. it doesnt have to be an slr but something that would be a good beginner camera. i was looking at the nikon coolpix p510 but i would like to know if i can do better for the money. thanks. my price range is like $200-$400.
Old 07-18-2012, 11:51 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: camera suggestions

The Nikon D60 with the 18-55 VR lens is an absolute masterpiece for the money if you can find one (it's firmly in te realms of amateur cameras, but its a good one). If you've seen all my RC and artistic photography, it was all done with this camera and mostly with this lens (I also have the 55-200 VR zoom lens).

Here's a recent sample, not at all my best work, but a good idea of what the machine is capable of...

Old 07-20-2012, 08:59 AM
s7jstep1

Oh wow that looks nice. How does it do for far away landscape shots? My main focus will be for vacation pics and stuff but I still want something capable of doing well with all types of pictures. This will be my first non-compact camera and I'm excited to venture into the hobby
Old 07-20-2012, 07:22 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Try the Canon EOS Rebel T3I. I've seen pictures with them, and they are amazing.
Old 07-20-2012, 10:51 PM
Foxy

ORIGINAL: s7jstep1

Oh wow that looks nice. How does it do for far away landscape shots? My main focus will be for vacation pics and stuff but I still want something capable of doing well with all types of pictures. This will be my first non-compact camera and I'm excited to venture into the hobby
How about this, same camera and lens, from the top of the Empire State Building in new york, taken between the bars of a protective barrier with no tripod in wind chill -35 with a 1/3 of a second exposure. Thank God for the VR function on the lens, this shot would not have been possible without it (also bear in mind that photobucket have run another optimization pass over them, after I had already made them jpgs, the uncompressed files are noticeably better quality.

Here're a couple more shots I took in new york, this was all new years eve 2008/2009.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:56 AM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Are D60's still available?

I like to add that when someone is considering a new DSLR and they have previously never owned one that they should keep in mind they are buying into a "system" of components.  Meaning, if you start with Nikon then you will need to purchase Nikon lenses that are compatible with your current body, but depending on the mount, may be compatible with full-frame bodies should you decide to upgrade in the future.

I chose a Canon body myself; though you can't necessarily argue that one brand is far superior than the other regarding image quality or the quality of the product.  Both Canon and Nikon have a wide range of accessories and components available for them, while other brands like Pentax, Sony, Olympus, etc. are quality products; you don't see quite the same aftermarket support for those brands.

I realize S7jstep1 has a tighter budget and a DSLR might be a stretch.  But you need to consider the image quality produced by the larger sensors compared to the relatively small sensors in "point-and-shoot" cameras; even the advanced models like the P510.

Here are some good camera resources you can read through to get more information:

DSLRs: http://www.dpreview.com/articles/956...-a-digital-slr
"Dave's Picks" from Imaging Resource, this is a long list with different categories: http://www.imaging-resource.com/WB/WB.HTM
DC Resource buyer's guide: http://www.dcresource.com/buyersguide/
Old 07-21-2012, 12:28 PM
Foxy

There are still a few D60s and D80s around, but technically discontinued, they are usually pretty cheap because of that.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:57 PM
s7jstep1

if i can find one, what would the price be? i googled it and it came up in the $900 range. does that sound right?
Old 07-21-2012, 10:50 PM
Foxy

OMG, I bought mine new with the lens for less than 500 bucks 5 years ago :/

OK, this then...

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-14-2MP-D.../ref=pd_cp_p_0
Old 07-21-2012, 10:50 PM
traxxasfanatic

For a camera in the $400 range I like my Nikon D3000. If you can find one that's what I would suggest. They are discontinued so you can probably get one pretty cheap. I got mine for $306.85[X(]. I have had my D3000 for about a year and so far its been a great camera.

Here's a few shots that I took at my local track a few months ago. Pics were taken with a Nikon 55-200mm VR lens.

Old 07-23-2012, 10:31 PM
s7jstep1

well, due to the availibility issue i may get the nikon p510. i dont think i really "need" the 42x optical zoom but it may be cool to have. plus walmart carries it and i get a 10% employee discount so after that and my graduation visa gift card itll cost me about $340. not too bad IMO. it seems like a good camera too. i payed around with the demo model in walmart. ill wait til my trip to oregon to but it because if california sales tax lol, itll save me money
Old 07-24-2012, 12:00 AM
Foxy

If you can't change lenses, aperture, exposure length, focus manually or adjust depth of field, you are losing out. Of course it depends what you want, but I hope you don't regret the fact that for a few more bucks you could have got a camera that will not only take good snaps on automatic settings (of course, I too use automatic for most shots), but can also teach YOU how to take even better ones. A point and snap is never going to challenge or develop your skills.
Old 07-24-2012, 10:32 PM
s7jstep1

ORIGINAL: traxxasfanatic

For a camera in the $400 range I like my Nikon D3000. If you can find one that's what I would suggest. They are discontinued so you can probably get one pretty cheap. I got mine for $306.85[X(]. I have had my D3000 for about a year and so far its been a great camera.

where did you buy that camera from at that price?
Old 07-24-2012, 11:19 PM
Foxy

I believe the 3000 is also dicontinued now, but I may be wrong, go for the 3100. The reviews say it is the best evolution of this body so far (when we refer to pro cameras, we refer to the camera itself as the 'body', as as it is independent of lens, and other ancillaries)...

http://www.amazon.com/Nikon-14-2MP-D.../dp/B003ZYF3LO
Old 07-25-2012, 10:26 PM
traxxasfanatic

ORIGINAL: s7jstep1

ORIGINAL: traxxasfanatic

where did you buy that camera from at that price?
I got it from Staples. That was when they were selling off what they had of the D300's and going to the D3100's It was probably a dumb thing to do as it was the display model (was still sitting on the display shelf when I went to buy it) and had finger prints on the mirror but I got it any way. Also got a little more off the price because they didn't have the lens cap for the 18-55mm lens that came with it. If it wasn't for tax I could have got that camera for $292.05.
Old 08-22-2012, 05:45 PM
srt10
My Feedback: (20)

ORIGINAL: collector1231

Try the Canon EOS Rebel T3I. I've seen pictures with them, and they are amazing.
I like that camera
I would love to try some video work with it