Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

China Stores to USA

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 08:22 AM
wyumez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default China Stores to USA

I was wondering if anyone has had any success with stores in china such as Hobbyhot.com, Heliquarter, RCecho, RCmodelnet, and Vpowerhobby.

I just ordered a hobbywing esc and motor from hobbyhot's ebay page and have been in contact with their customer service on the process. They're really prompt when replying to my messages. I then noticed they will have to upgrade the mail service because it's a "high valued" item over $80. With tariffs, duties, and taxes, I should be receiving a separate invoice of $20 or so. Ebay lists the item as "free shipping," which I felt was lied to.

I would like to know if anyone has had any bad experiences with these stores, and if you have purchased a relatively expensive item, how long did it take to receive the item?
Old 08-29-2012, 12:54 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: China Stores to USA

What!? A Chinese power seller ripped you on the delivery!? Never!

To be fair, you still get the item cheap, I wouldn't take being 'lied to' so personally. If you don't like it don't use em again, but really, people expecting the Western way of doing business, but at Chinese prices, are in for a short sharp shock. If I bought a $50 battery from hobbyking for example, and it had a dead cell, I wouldn't even try to return it. I know I'm gonna get bounced round the houses, have to jump through 20 hoops, send it back at my own cost, etc, etc. No thanks, I've saved enough money over the years by buying cheap Chinese batteries there, that I forgive them for the occasional dud, I'm stil WWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYY ahead compared to if I'd bought maxamps or something. You have to draw a line which battles are worth fighting, cos they couldn't give a flying toss that you feel lied to. It's about managing your own expectations, which of course should be pretty low for the dollar value you are paying.

To answer your question more specifically, I use hobbyking and hobbypartz occasionally, and I plan to make a fair sized order from hobbyhot in the very near future, which I will do with confidence. I have never had any issue with their products or business ethics to date (having done my own research of course, not all these Chinese products are even capable of doing what they say on the tin, but others are solid, reliable and economical, you gotta make sure you're looking at the items that fall into the latter category from the getgo, or you're in for frustration).

The delivery to europe always takes forever and is prohibitively expensive, which is why I save up large orders and get them all at once, but that doesn't mean much to you of course being in the US. hobbypartz is your best bet. It's a US based Chinese RC goods warehouse, but they are pretty lousy at maintaining stock levels, you need to catch em on the right day, but apart from that, you'll find the products reasonable (though about 10% more than hobbyhot) and delivery cheap and fast.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:57 AM
wyumez

I am so far receiving excellent service from HobbyHot. They sent me the confirmation email stating my item is shipped. Now my invoice on customs IMHO should have been included in the ebay page instead of stating "free shipping." During your experience, did you have to pay the customs invoice via paypal? It's strange that they sent me a tracking number and "shipped" status without sending me the invoice.

I've purchased many items over seas but nothing this expensive. The smaller items such as watches and RC body parts were sent to me within a week and a half. I had the chance to purchase a 4000kv motor from HobbyPartz but I wanted the 4700kv.

If all goes swimmingly, I'll make my purchases in bulk as you did.
Old 08-30-2012, 05:42 AM
Foxy

I've never had a customs invoice from anyone but local customs at the time of delivery.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:45 AM
lee172

ORIGINAL: Foxy

I've never had a customs invoice from anyone but local customs at the time of delivery.
As above, plus... I'm pretty sure the US has a very high import amount (before you get charges)..

Is China that much cheaper than Hong Kong? Ive never had a problem with Stella or RC Mart.
Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: lee172

ORIGINAL: Foxy

As above, plus... I'm pretty sure the US has a very high import amount (before you get charges)..

Is China that much cheaper than Hong Kong? Ive never had a problem with Stella or RC Mart.
not really
trust me I ordered $150 worth of parts like 10 years ago for game systems, and ended up having to pay $100 to ship it with import duties(shipping was $20 alone if I remember it right)... The box wasn't even that large or heavy, and it took 3-4 weeks to receive(customs kept it for a week, and literally went through everything...). Import duties were ludicrous as the place marked the real dollar amount on the invoice. I've done one order to HK that came in a bigger box, and was almost $200 in stuff, and payed $0 cause HK marked everything down to like $1-2 on the invoice I only payed $40 for 3 day shipping

As for the OP getting sent a separate invoice for shipping that you can complain to ebay for as that is changing the terms of the sale after it was done. If it says FREE SHIPPING shipping better well be damn free that falls under bait and switch.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:03 AM
wyumez

Well I got my motor. Everything looks great!

What am I supposed to do with the customs invoice? How do I pay it?