Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

off-topic...what other hobbies do you have?

Old 02-09-2013, 01:09 PM
scaleman57
My Feedback: (23)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: off-topic...what other hobbies do you have?

I;m surprised i have time to fly models, I have jet skies and a boat for the summer a Harley a 57 Chevy dirt bike and go to the gym 4 days a week. I think this is enough.
Old 02-09-2013, 01:34 PM
Sessholvlaru

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In addition to all the stuff I listed I'm also a movie buff. Here is an IAC 1887 modified into the "T2" configuration.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db86523.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	1850004   Click image for larger version

Name:	Av68291.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1850005  
Old 02-09-2013, 02:39 PM
wl7cpa

Hang Gliding, ultralights (Trike), hiking, rock climbing, skiing (Alpine and Nordic), kayaking, gardening, biking, walking, reading, and HAM Radio (General License).
Old 02-09-2013, 02:54 PM
4Stroker
My Feedback: (33)

Model boats as well as airplanes. Scale and sail - we have a local club that gathers once a month. Fun! BTW, I tried computer games and never got the bug, probably since I use a computer all day at work.
Old 02-09-2013, 03:07 PM
iexion

ORIGINAL: 4Stroker

Model boats as well as airplanes. Scale and sail - we have a local club that gathers once a month. Fun! BTW, I tried computer games and never got the bug, probably since I use a computer all day at work.
And when you work in a kitchen for a living you lose weight !!
Old 02-09-2013, 03:13 PM
t-max97
My Feedback: (9)

ORIGINAL: Sessholvlaru

In addition to all the stuff I listed I'm also a movie buff. Here is an IAC 1887 modified into the ''T2'' configuration.
Nice gun!
Old 02-09-2013, 03:14 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: wl7cpa

Hang Gliding, ultralights (Trike), hiking, rock climbing, skiing (Alpine and Nordic), kayaking, gardening, biking, walking, reading, and HAM Radio (General License).
Awesome hobbies! What kind of kayaking do you do?
Old 02-09-2013, 04:11 PM
big JC
My Feedback: (1)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: t-max97

I got everything I needed for backpacking last year and never went [] still want to though, we camp alot when we kayak so some of it has been used, some of that mountain biking looks pretty intense[&:]. I love whitewater kayaking more than rc but I cant kayak in my yard at anytime.lol

Im not this good but this is the kayak I have. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYTqCbr4tMQ

That's cool. A lot of my friends kayak (some of them are crazy drop water falls etc)I just never got into it. A couple of them have white water rafts and I've done some big water with them in the raft and it's quite a thrill. Done a bunch of sea kayaking in Alaska though and was some the most memorable times in my life. Nothing like having orca's breach right next to you in a prestine environement. Your in Gorgia so you got be close to the AT, time to pack up your backpack and get out there.
Old 02-09-2013, 05:03 PM
Kozzy_98

I am an avid guitarist (been playing for about 5 years now) and have been and still am practising heaps.

Also a major fan of Unreal Tournament 1999 as my computer is absolute rubbish. Sadly there aren't many active UT players in Australia...

Also getting into quadcopters which are quite fun to fly.

Also like to tinker with electronics and fix amplifiers.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:05 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Foxy

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM
I've also been thinking of trying startrek online as its now free to play
STO is great I played it quite a lot but as of about 6 months ago endgame was somewhat boring and other players were TRAGICALLY bad. I had a lot of fun with it for a month or two and like u say it's free, nothing to lose.
Tried it last night so far I'm liking it somewhat just controls are kinda clunky
also I love how it has xbox controller setup for flying the ship, but lacks weapon, and impulse engine controls... and I don't see any way to assign em either...
kinda aggravating how it seems everything in the game costs real cash too...
I've played a few micro transaction games, but this one every single screen has things to but for real cash it seems

My buddy is trying to get me to play EVE online, but I don't want another monthly reoccurring sub based game
Ive had a little bash, but im finding it not very well ballanced, the Federation ships suck compared to the KDF ships, mainly turning rates and weapon slots.
Since unlocking the KDF i havent touched my Fed compain. and im not a huge fan one the ground missions. I love space battles, but the interface is clumsy.
to be honest i had more fun back when Bridge commander was new... and im not a huge fan on MMP games, I only downloaded it to try because it was free.
Old 02-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Suprfort
My Feedback: (27)

I rebuild antique full scale airplanes. My first started 6 years ago a 1946 Aeronca Super Chief. Took 4 years of work but was very rewarding in 2011 when it won best Aeronca at Oshkosh.
I am working on a 1940 Aeronca TC. Looks much like a Cub but way better. Aeronca built these to get the training plane contract from the government just before the war.
Mike Barbee
Old 02-09-2013, 06:44 PM
Fs one

Is there other hobbies!!
Old 02-09-2013, 07:09 PM
fly210sv
My Feedback: (1)

Suprfort, Do you ever go to Middletown for the Aeronca conventions?
Old 02-09-2013, 07:14 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: big JC

ORIGINAL: t-max97

I got everything I needed for backpacking last year and never went [] still want to though, we camp alot when we kayak so some of it has been used, some of that mountain biking looks pretty intense[&:]. I love whitewater kayaking more than rc but I cant kayak in my yard at anytime.lol

Im not this good but this is the kayak I have. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYTqCbr4tMQ

That's cool. A lot of my friends kayak (some of them are crazy drop water falls etc) I just never got into it. A couple of them have white water rafts and I've done some big water with them in the raft and it's quite a thrill. Done a bunch of sea kayaking in Alaska though and was some the most memorable times in my life. Nothing like having orca's breach right next to you in a prestine environement. Your in Gorgia so you got be close to the AT, time to pack up your backpack and get out there.
Rafting is cool but compared to a kayak it's kind of like going around an f1 track in a bus vs an actual f1 car lol. The AT starts less than an hour from me, I need to go sometime, I have a couple family members that go fairly often and plenty of kayaking friends that do.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:16 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: Suprfort

I rebuild antique full scale airplanes. My first started 6 years ago a 1946 Aeronca Super Chief. Took 4 years of work but was very rewarding in 2011 when it won best Aeronca at Oshkosh.
I am working on a 1940 Aeronca TC. Looks much like a Cub but way better. Aeronca built these to get the training plane contract from the government just before the war.
Mike Barbee
That's awesome, any pictures?

Is there other hobbies!!
Haha.....YES, I love rc but it doesn't compare to running rapids in a kayak.
Old 02-09-2013, 07:49 PM
Lightspeed1551
My Feedback: (4)

I play video games and go target shooting.
Old 02-09-2013, 09:18 PM
camsbad

I was crew chief for my son in the sprints until he started college. That's whenI got back into the RCPlanes. I still help some friends when they race within an hour or so of my house.

Name:	Lj21681.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	181.1 KB
ID:	1850170   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cx75043.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	318.5 KB
ID:	1850171   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59133.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	1850172   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jc85667.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	80.4 KB
ID:	1850173  
Old 02-10-2013, 04:59 AM
sbrackets

My other hobby is Astronomy. Both RC & Astronomy I loved as a kid, but neither did I get to do until I was an adult. Now I'm kinda making up for lost time.
Astronomy is very rewarding to me but the times of having a clear dark sky to view is few a far between. That's why I'm glad I have RC planes to fall back on.

As far as viewing the Stars from dark locations places near my home. I do attend week long Star Parties in the Spring and Fall. Soon to be going to the Staunton River Star Party in VA. On March 7th.

Everyone be on the look out for "Comet Panstarrs" in mid March. Look to the west just after Sunset to see this Great Comet. It should be naked eye viewable just like Hale-Bopp was in 1997.

My Telescope now is a 12 inch Orion Dobsonian reflector Telescope with DSC (Digital setting circles) in short a computer. See in the attached photo.

Regards, Jim

Name:	Fc90382.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	1850265  
Old 02-10-2013, 06:05 AM
hemiflyer1
My Feedback: (2)

In the warm weather I like to hang out at car shows and cruise nights with one of my hotrods, one's a #'s  matching '72 Challenger and the other is a '68 Dart that I built. It has a heart stopin'  426 Hemi with a crossram intake and 2 holleys on top. The Dart is a little high strung (and thirsty) but is a ton of fun and blows peoples minds . Also have this early evo Harley softtail ('85)  that is fun to ride when it's above 80.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:20 AM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: sbrackets

My other hobby is Astronomy. Both RC & Astronomy I loved as a kid, but neither did I get to do until I was an adult. Now I'm kinda making up for lost time.
Astronomy is very rewarding to me but the times of having a clear dark sky to view is few a far between. That's why I'm glad I have RC planes to fall back on.

As far as viewing the Stars from dark locations places near my home. I do attend week long Star Parties in the Spring and Fall. Soon to be going to the Staunton River Star Party in VA. On March 7th.

Everyone be on the look out for ''Comet Panstarrs'' in mid March. Look to the west just after Sunset to see this Great Comet. It should be naked eye viewable just like Hale-Bopp was in 1997.

My Telescope now is a 12 inch Orion Dobsonian reflector Telescope with DSC (Digital setting circles) in short a computer. See in the attached photo.

Regards, Jim
Cool hobby and thanks for the info.
Old 02-10-2013, 08:23 AM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: hemiflyer1

In the warm weather I like to hang out at car shows and cruise nights with one of my hotrods, one's a #'s matching '72 Challenger and the other is a '68 Dart that I built. It has a heart stopin' 426 Hemi with a crossram intake and 2 holleys on top. The Dart is a little high strung (and thirsty) but is a ton of fun and blows peoples minds . Also have this early evo Harley softtail ('85) that is fun to ride when it's above 80.
Nice cars,and bike.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:10 PM
vaca69

Build Plastic Models
Old 02-10-2013, 02:22 PM
t-max97

ORIGINAL: vaca69

Build Plastic Models
Iv'e tried that a couple times but got impatient and they didn't turn out very good lol.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:14 PM
jausra

New board member here. I too build plastic models and have for years. I currently have around 400 plastic kits in my hobby room but am branching out into building balsa. I have always wanted to do it as I grew up watching my father build them.
Old 02-10-2013, 03:21 PM
vaca69

Some of my models, published in Fine Scale Modelers Magazine, Readers Gallery

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/m/online/1277362.aspx

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/m/online/1312542.aspx

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/m/online/1234138.aspx

http://cs.finescale.com/fsm/m/online/1407271.aspx

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.