Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

RC's on Ebay....

Old 03-28-2013, 06:30 AM
mkjohnston
My Feedback: (2)

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: RC's on Ebay....

The number one problem I have with ebay is with these Idiots who bid on your item then refuse to pay for it. I have had this hadppen quite a bit in the last year.Ebay does nothing to them I was brought up if you bid on something and win it you should pay for it. But Ebay lets these people just walk away scott free. SO i am no longer interesed in ebay as site to sell my stuff and I had very little luck with craigslist at all. michael
Old 03-28-2013, 06:31 AM
mkjohnston

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The number one problem I have with ebay is with these Idiots who bid on your item then refuse to pay for it. I have had this hadppen quite a bit in the last year.Ebay does nothing to them I was brought up if you bid on something and win it you should pay for it. But Ebay lets these people just walk away scott free. SO i am no longer interesed in ebay as site to sell my stuff and I had very little luck with craigslist at all. michael
Old 03-28-2013, 06:31 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

How is selling stuff on RCU? does it work out Ok?
Old 03-28-2013, 06:46 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, mostly positive experience for me...
Old 03-28-2013, 07:54 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: redfisher1974

RCU is not better than EBay other other RC related sites. Most people are selling their junk. I know because I have been burned in the past. If you want to buy on one of these sites than purchase NIB and then you are taking a chance.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:06 AM
mattnew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ebay: I've had some great deals... and I've watched some auctions where the sellers were, for lack of a better phrase... "dreaming"

Couple things I've noticed.....

Cost of kits has come down, so you'll find sellers that bought a kit 5 years ago trying to recoup their cost when the kit is still readily available for less than what they are asking. Combine that with shipping costs and you'll often see bad deals out there on ebay.

Many people think of kits as collectors items or investments. I personally don't think its a reality... kits were meant to be built and flown...  except for a few that have an extremely high demand... for most discontinued kits out there the demand just isn't their to raise the prices and make them worthwhile investments... if the demand WAS there... the companies that own the kits would likely make them again.

keep your eyes out... and the key is to be patient... for every one that your looking for ( kit ) that you find overpriced... you usually can wait a couple weeks and a reasonable one will pop up.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 AM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

FREE
Old 03-28-2013, 07:27 PM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Selling on RCU has gone fine for me generally. There are no fees (other than paypal ones potentially) unless you want to get more exposure and pay for added features. Some of those I've done and some I haven't depending on what I'm trying to sell. Once the item sells, RCU has no role in the transaction and unlike ebay takes no fees based on the sale value. RCU is like a safer more regulated version of craigslist in that once the listing is made, communication between prospective buyers and sellers is between them and them alone, they can decide on any price, trade, barter, whatever. Listing an ad is free (unless you want greater exposure, but its not necessary for normal level ads), so give it a shot and see what happens. If you get screwed by someone, and you used paypal, you still have all their accountability features available to you.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:02 PM
Ttam Says Blarg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ebay has sucked out loud for years now. Online retailers like tower offer free shipping 10 to 30 dollars off. And you know your not going to get screwed.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:51 AM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Selling on RCU has gone fine for me generally. There are no fees (other than paypal ones potentially) unless you want to get more exposure and pay for added features. Some of those I've done and some I haven't depending on what I'm trying to sell. Once the item sells, RCU has no role in the transaction and unlike ebay takes no fees based on the sale value. RCU is like a safer more regulated version of craigslist in that once the listing is made, communication between prospective buyers and sellers is between them and them alone, they can decide on any price, trade, barter, whatever. Listing an ad is free (unless you want greater exposure, but its not necessary for normal level ads), so give it a shot and see what happens. If you get screwed by someone, and you used paypal, you still have all their accountability features available to you.
Thanks for the info.
Old 03-29-2013, 03:52 AM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

Ebay has sucked out loud for years now. Online retailers like tower offer free shipping 10 to 30 dollars off. And you know your not going to get screwed.
Shipping to Canada along with duties etc kill towers deals for me.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:30 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

same to me as I live in the state and get slammed with a nice set of taxes. Why for big purchases I use amain they might not give the huge discount but after taxes its more of a cut. Like if I buy a $125 from tower I get $15 off, but I get taxed somewhere around $12.50 on it so it ends up being $122.50. If I buy the same RC on Amain for $125 I get $5 off which brings it to $120. This is just a real basic example as I can't find any tower codes for over $125(and don't feel like looking).
All I remember was when I ordered one more expensive RC a long time ago if I used the corresponding tower coupon it would have cost me $40 more than amain did with the lesser coupon.

As for ebay tried selling my merv a while back in ARTR (literally only needed an ESC) for $20 more than a beat up ass roller that had no wheels. servo, body, motor, bone stock, and was missing things. My merv also had a full set of RPM upgrades flung on it, and was used probably 12 minutes max at the time I got like 4 messages from idiots, and I use the term saying it was a royal rip off, I was out of my (can't post the word here, but hint its 6 letters and starts with f, and has in at the end) mind for what I wanted, and a pile of other things. The beat up ass roller sold for $30 more than what I wanted, and after a few days I just got fed up and pulled my ad from morons messaging me... Seriously I had morons offer me to buy it for $40 shipped its like SURE LET ME GIVE YOU A ALMOST BRAND NEW $300 RC FOR $40 SHIPPED... Never tried selling anything on ebay after that. BTW I was asking $170 for it shipped which I saw as reasonable seeing it had over $40 in after market parts on it, and included everything but the ESC(I bought it as a roller, and built it up why it didn't have an ESC, but did have the verlinion motor).
Now I threw $100 more in parts into it, and its finally getting to a semi Decent RC that I can be happy with not its flippy crap stock setup
Old 03-29-2013, 08:43 AM
redfisher1974

I'm thinking its not even worth it anymore to try and sell stuff, Might as well keep it or give it to someone in need....
Old 03-29-2013, 09:43 AM
Lunchboxer

Need to have a friend ships to you so you can put a lower valuation on it, maybe...

Old 03-29-2013, 09:54 AM
redfisher1974

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

Need to have a friend ships to you so you can put a lower valuation on it, maybe...

That would help for sure.