Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

The heat is coming!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 03:34 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The heat is coming!!

Hey guys, got some questions on house cooling. Seems liek this summer is goingot be a warm one, and that's not fun with two young kids. We have one wall AC in our kitchen, and we have some fans to push some of the cold air from the kitchen to the living room and bedrooms, but in all honesty, it's not doing sh1t. I was looking at portable air conditioners. Then evaporative air conditioners came up. Now I don't know which one to consider. It was 90 degrees here yesterday, and the house stayed between 88-90 in all other rooms but the kitchen. Any insight on these two types of coolers? Which cools down the room more? Efficiency?
Old 05-22-2013, 04:11 AM
redfisher1974

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: The heat is coming!!

Could you afford central air?
Old 05-22-2013, 04:13 AM
cumminspower5.9

Ha! If it was my house and I could afford it, central air would be on the "to be installed" list. It's an apartment. 2 bedroom, 1 bath house. Single story.
Old 05-22-2013, 05:06 AM
redfisher1974

maybe just another window shaker would work?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:28 AM
cumminspower5.9

Window shaker? is that another way of saying AC? I forgot to mention in the original post... The only AC is a wall AC, the windows are all "canopy" windows that crank up.
Old 05-22-2013, 06:06 AM
Eman77

Not sure what you mean by your windows - post a pic?

Window AC units can work pretty well - also, is your wall unit operating properly? Just make sure it's really cranking out cold air (not out of freon or whatever), and not just a cool-ish wind.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:01 AM
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: Eman77

Not sure what you mean by your windows - post a pic?

Window AC units can work pretty well - also, is your wall unit operating properly? Just make sure it's really cranking out cold air (not out of freon or whatever), and not just a cool-ish wind.
Here is my windows. I know the AC is in tip top condition. It is all clean, correct power setting. all windows, doors and curtains closed in house. Coldest setting. It is probably only a 5-8k BTU AC. Our kitchen is fairly large. Id say12x30.
Attached Images  
Old 05-22-2013, 07:06 AM
Eman77

Yikes not sure how you'd put a window AC in there - I see what you mean, and why you're looking at portable ones or evaporative ones.

Sorry, I can't provide any useful info on those, I have no experience with them. I guess read online as much as possible? It's gotta be better than nothing though!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:23 AM
cumminspower5.9

Yea lol. I definitely cannot put an AC in those windows. I figure since the living room might be the "focal point" in the summer, might get a "out of window" AC just to cool that room. Not sure on which to look at tho.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:24 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Can't run something like this?

http://www.costco.com/Delonghi-Pingu...100028369.html
Old 05-22-2013, 07:36 AM
Eman77

I think that's what he's looking into (and for info/advice on those).

Looks like you need to vent the heat somewhere outside the house (with the included tube), so make sure you think of that!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:41 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

I have the same problem I have a 2 1/2 ton unit for my upstairs, and its not doing crap either. At 2 in the afternoon, I measured it at 90 degrees; even when the ac was set on 68!
Old 05-22-2013, 07:44 AM
redfisher1974

Yes a window shaker is a window unit, Which clearly will not work in your case.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:45 AM
cumminspower5.9

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

That's what I'm looking into and needing info on. Just don't really need the 4-in-1 units. Looking to spend around $300 too.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:22 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Lunchboxer

my brother used one of those it worked well till he damaged it (never cleaned it)

Also have one that was never used as we got it for a price we couldn't pass up (like 1/3rd retail) in case one of the window units die
Old 05-22-2013, 04:08 PM
OliverJacob
My Feedback: (12)

Here:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/LG-LP0910WNR...item4841238cd8

I have added one of these in a room where the a/c didn't reach and it puts out lots of cold air, more then a window unit. It has a vent hose and
will release any water through this, no buckets to empty. Only maintenance is to take the filter out once in a while and wash it.

Also tried an evaporative 'cooler' which does not really cool, it just feels cooler when you sit in the air stream. It adds humidity to your house,
which doesn't really help.

Of course it takes a lot less energy then a real a/c, but it won't do too much either, maybe ok for your hobby room and use it only when you in there.

Old 05-22-2013, 07:53 PM
Jetdesign
My Feedback: (8)

The portable units work good. A flying buddy has one in his trailer. It gets pretty darn cold in there, cool outside in front of the trailer, and it puts some serious heat out the pipe. I was impressed. I used to have fold-out windows and was in the same boat, it really sucked.

I found in all my window unit experience it pays to get a bigger unit. A small unit will work it's butt off trying to keep the place cool, and will eventually work itself to death. A larger unit runs the compressor less, doesn't work as hard, and puts out colder air faster. My last house I had a nice big unit in one window with fans blowing the air into the kitchen and the living room. It worked like a charm. A second unit in the bedroom and I was good to go.

Now I got a 5yr old 13 SEER heat pump w/AC Freakin' love it.
Old 05-22-2013, 09:05 PM
HOT COALS

GUY, I would ask the landlord for permission to change the window.  Get a window A/C over 10,0000 btu. CK box for sq feet it will cover. OLIVER JACOB has a good idea. The only draw back  with them, you have to get one with a lot  of btu to cover your area. And they canbe very expensive. I have central A/C in my house, used it once, after the first bill.  I have a 20,000 btu in living rm.  5,000 in BD RM.  MY electric bill runs  about $ 55.00 Mo. And I live in TX. Which is a lot hotter from where you are. The windows you show !! must be a old place. Like early 60s to 70s. I remember those old type. GOOD LUCK ON YOUR SOLUTION  HANK.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:04 AM
Lifer
My Feedback: (1)

Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts

Get a couple of dehumidifier units. Will make a huge difference!
Old 05-23-2013, 04:13 AM
cumminspower5.9

Well thanks for all the help guys. I have narrowed it down to a portable air conditioner rather than a "swamp" cooler. I do not need any more humidity or moisture. Seems like the portable AC's have some decent reviews and work well, you just have to find the right one for the size of the room. I plan to go to Lowe's and the Home Depot this weekend to look at them more and see what my options are. Hopefully I can find one for a decent price, and one that will cool down my living room comfortably!
Old 05-23-2013, 05:31 AM
Eman77

Good deal. How will you vent the hot air?
Old 05-23-2013, 05:47 AM
cumminspower5.9

Well I will just vent it out the window in the living room. I think they all come with mounting kits. As for when I move it near the bedrooms, I have no idea lol. I will have to really see one and see what they are all about.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:11 AM
kochj

FYI....
I have a frigidair AC (it is a 25,000 Btu's )in my 3-car garage, and it will get down to 65 deg in 90 deg weather last summer....
Yes the garage has a cement floor that helps, but having 2-large garage doors with thin isulation, and a direct sun driveway puts the heat index way up....
I am very impressed with my setup...
Most of the larger BTu's will have to be ordered... they don't carry them at your local hardwar stores

Your Apt. Owner is CHEAP.... they don't want to spend big bucks for items in your appt....
The Wall Unit you have isn't a big enough (BTI's ) to keep things cool...
like a 14,000 btu.... .... You need 24,000 Btu or more!...

I would swap out the current one, or better yet....Get the apartment mgr to DO IT FOR YOU!>>>>..
I would think that would be under contract??? If it is the apt's wall A/C unit, isn't big enough or working well, get them to place another one in that is bigger BTU's

Now you go out and purchase A Second a/c unit, that will be in the low 12,000 BTU's, and you have just added 1-more
watt sucker, that will throw you electric bill UP AND UP....
Pull out that old Hunker..... It is only wasting your money....and isn't putting out enough cool air....
Like the prev. post stated....The larger units will run less, and will cost you less to run them, because they will not run as much
as the smaller unit!...

also, make sure you have 240 hookup in your apt.... It should be what your old unit is running on...

I purchased mine from Amazon... Free shipping, and great price.... 500$ or mabey less.... as it retailed for 740$
They have the
26-1/2" D
FRA256SV2

This is the current model.
Old 05-23-2013, 06:58 AM
Rotten40851
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Theres no way to take out thewhole paneof glass on that casement window? If you can take out the whole pane of glassput a window unit in and seal the rest with some plywood. Also, I hope those are'nt the windows in the basement ,cause if they are I believe they are illegal. You have to be able to get out in case of an emergency. I would mention that to the landlord as well,even if they are not basement windows, you need to be able to fit your body out. That might put some pep in his step to change out at least one of those deathtrap windows. HTH, Rotten
Old 05-24-2013, 05:35 PM
DieHarder

You can have those windows in the basement as long as they aren't in a bedroom. It's only illegal if they're in bedroom, and the bedroom doesn't have another window that's bigger.

I have central air! Boo-yah! LOL I think one of those floor units will work good. Set it in the center of the house, and let it run 24/7 The new ones should be pretty quiet.
ORIGINAL: Rotten40851

Theres no way to take out thewhole paneof glass on that casement window? If you can take out the whole pane of glassput a window unit in and seal the rest with some plywood. Also, I hope those are'nt the windows in the basement ,cause if they are I believe they are illegal. You have to be able to get out in case of an emergency. I would mention that to the landlord as well,even if they are not basement windows, you need to be able to fit your body out. That might put some pep in his step to change out at least one of those deathtrap windows. HTH, Rotten

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.