Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Car Painting

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2013, 04:32 PM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car Painting

What's up guys? Had an idea with my wifes car. The guy we bought it from had painted over the spots where the clear coat was peeling, and he used gold spray paint. He wasn't mechanically inclined in that area. So I got thinking about wet sanding the whole thing and painting it metallic black. The issue is, is that I don't have all the paint guns and tools to do it that way. What I do have is one of those Wagner Power Painters. Now I have used it on metal trailers and sheds, and it come out great with the right paint. Is the Wagner a good idea? I mean the car is an old 97 Camry with 200k miles. I was thinking that it can't look any worse than being painted with spray paint from a can. In addition, how much does a gallon of car paint usually cost?
Old 08-18-2013, 05:17 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

just go buy a cheap gun from harbor freight. my friend painted his mustang with one, came out decent and i think there all of $10.
i don't think id even try using the wagner. while iv never used one i don't think it would atomize automotive paint well enough to get results you could tolerate looking at.
as far as the cost of paint, depends on several factors. single stage or two stage (aka base coat clear coat). water base of solvent base. brand. and even color.
using cheap single stage (something like Nason) paint you could (color pending) probably get the paint for around $150 a gallon. (i haven't bought paint in a while so price and participation may very)

wet sand the shine off the car with some 400 wet sandpaper. lay down a cheap coat of primer/sealer and lay down a cheap coat of single stage paint. in, out and done for under $500 total. (been there, done that)

or if you really want to be a cheap ass you can so this. http://www.rickwrench.com/index79mas...llarpaint.html
iv actually painted a 62 chevy with rust-oleum before. i used a gun to paint it, came out nice. then again, how hard is flat black to screw up?

Last edited by suburban_hooligan; 08-18-2013 at 05:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2013, 08:42 AM
Lunchboxer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If like you said, it is an old car that you don't care too much about the quality, why bother to even repaint it?? Is it rusting?
Old 08-20-2013, 10:58 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well the paint job is from a spray can, so you can see all the wirls and fades and shades of gold, and white here and there from when the fool went out at night and didn't know he had white spray paint. I was thinking of doing a text run on the hood with the Wagner. Just do half of it and see the outcome I guess. I have gotten over the current paint job since I bought it, but one solid color would be nice lol.