Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

God Bless Elon Musk!!

In the September 2014 issue of Motor Trend magazine, Elon Musk, creator of Tesla Motors, Space-X, and Solar City to name a few, explains how his handling of patents has evolved over the years. To a point where he’s convinced that open-source info is not only good for Tesla, but for the future and viability of electric vehicles as a whole. As such, he’s decided to release Tesla’s patents to anyone who wants to use them. !!! 8^0

“Tesla Motors was created to accelerate the advent of sustainable transport,” Musk wrote, stating that his company “will not initiate patent lawsuits against anyone who, in good faith, wants to use our technology.”

He then recounts his first company, Zip2, and his obsession to obtain patents. Now, he feels patents “stifle progress” and considers them a “lottery ticket to a lawsuit”. Musk says he once saw larger car makers as a threat, paranoid they would copy Tesla’s technology to bring his company down.

That fear, he says, never materialized. In fact, Musk calls out the bigger car makers, stating that their EV programs are “small to non-existant” consisting of less than 1 percent of their sales. Additionally, he says Tesla’s current competition is producing cars with “limited range” compared to the Model S, which is capable of going 300 miles between charges.

According to Musk, Tesla’s true competition is gas-powered vehicles. This is Musk’s call for the big guys to step up their EV programs and get in the game to help reduce carbon emissions and reliance on gasoline.

I LOVE THIS GUY!!!! Should be Man of The Year. This is the kind of guy who should be held up as a shining example of altruism and progressive thinking. Yes, Tesla's cars are out of MY price range, for now. But so was the automobile when it first came out. We need more guys like him.
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Where does this electric stuff come from?
    Electric vehicles (in my country at least) are very expensive compared to the equivalent petrol/diesel version of the same model and they have limited range and life...

Me and you running our cars pale into insignificance when it comes down to it...do you know how much fuel planes burn....or space rockets...or...
    Never mind, let us build another runway and expand our airport...and journey to some other planet because that will help....but remember that the small guy needs to be conservative with their energy consumption!

Not to mention that this is on a US forum....(wish I could read Chinese)...

I could rant on for many hours but I honestly could not care less about how much fuel I use or someone that wants to buy an electric car with the thought that they are "saving the planet"...maybe the Tesla person is out there for the greater good but I know what I would put my money on.
    When I die, I want to go in my sleep like my grandfather,not screaming
    like the passengers in his car at the time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by Anthoop View Post
    Electric vehicles (in my country at least) are very expensive compared to the equivalent petrol/diesel version of the same model and they have limited range and life...

Me and you running our cars pale into insignificance when it comes down to it...do you know how much fuel planes burn....or space rockets...or...
    Never mind, let us build another runway and expand our airport...and journey to some other planet because that will help....but remember that the small guy needs to be conservative with their energy consumption!

I could rant on for many hours but I honestly could not care less about how much fuel I use or someone that wants to buy an electric car with the thought that they are "saving the planet"...maybe the Tesla person is out there for the greater good but I know what I would put my money on.
    nah it the same here

I don't see electric vehicles being big for a long time as most have a 40 mile range, and long charge times which also relies on the car being parked near a charger. On top of the negatives from what I recall they were insanely expensive.

Now a system Chevy did with the Volt (one vehicle I wish I could have got) where you have some batteries, but have a small gas powered generator to charge the batteries while in use is a far better design. Way back when I was in college I actually had a similar idea to what chevy did, and damn I wish I patented it.

Honestly in the US at least I can not see 100% pure electric vehicles ever catching on as the cost of infrastructure to swap over would be immense, and the additional stress on the electric grid might collapse it.
    I respect musk, and the work his company did in furthering technology, but I see pure electric as a dead end unless some extreme battery breakthrough happens that would increase the range 200-300 miles, and have insanely fast charging systems along with safety. I'm guessing he saw the dead end too which is what drove him to release the technology to try and get it adopted, and improved upon by other sources.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well of course they're more expensive. They're new. (I'm not including older-generation electric cars) Remember when flat-screen TVs came out? They were rediculously expensive. Now you can get a 42" one for $500. And Tesla cars have ten times the range of ANY other electric out there. 300 miles to a charge! As the article says, Tesla's REAL competition is gas-powered cars. And BTW, the 0-60 times for a Tesla roadster? 3 seconds. Take that BMW.

Well DUH, RC cars use insignificant amounts of energy. And,uh, rockets don't use petroleum.

Right! We all need to conserve. Petrolium-based automobiles don't make sense for the long term. We need to save our remaining petroleum for the OTHER things we use it for, like plastics, and other petro-chemicals. Not BURN it! That's stupid. Do I drive a gas-powered car? Yes. A moderate one that gets decent mileage. Would I buy a Tesla? In a heartbeat, if I wasn't retired. Tesla has the formula for VIABLE electric transportation! With practical range, and power equivalent to gas vehicles. Why wouldn't I want one?

And what might that be?
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM View Post
    nah it the same here

I don't see electric vehicles being big for a long time as most have a 40 mile range, and long charge times which also relies on the car being parked near a charger. On top of the negatives from what I recall they were insanely expensive.

Now a system Chevy did with the Volt (one vehicle I wish I could have got) where you have some batteries, but have a small gas powered generator to charge the batteries while in use is a far better design. Way back when I was in college I actually had a similar idea to what chevy did, and damn I wish I patented it.

Honestly in the US at least I can not see 100% pure electric vehicles ever catching on as the cost of infrastructure to swap over would be immense, and the additional stress on the electric grid might collapse it.
    I respect musk, and the work his company did in furthering technology, but I see pure electric as a dead end unless some extreme battery breakthrough happens that would increase the range 200-300 miles, and have insanely fast charging systems along with safety. I'm guessing he saw the dead end too which is what drove him to release the technology to try and get it adopted, and improved upon by other sources.
    They DO get up to 300 miles to a charge. Do you not keep up on current automobile technology? Read a Motor Trend once in a while?
    He also had plans, designed into the cars, so that they could have their LIPO BATTERY PACK swapped out at a Tesla Charging Station in the time it takes you to go in and order a latte'. BAM!!

For certain applications, a gas-hybrid system as you describe, has certain advantages. But for daily commuting and 90% of the other driving we do, I'd bet you money more people would be driving full electric if they could drive a Tesla. Which last I checked go for about what a nicely-optioned Corvette ZR-1 goes for.
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Quote Originally Posted by EXT2Rob View Post
    They DO get up to 300 miles to a charge. Do you not keep up on current automobile technology? Read a Motor Trend once in a while?
    He also had plans, designed into the cars, so that they could have their LIPO BATTERY PACK swapped out at a Tesla Charging Station in the time it takes you to go in and order a latte'. BAM!!

For certain applications, a gas-hybrid system as you describe, has certain advantages. But for daily commuting and 90% of the other driving we do, I'd bet you money more people would be driving full electric if they could drive a Tesla. Which last I checked go for about what a nicely-optioned Corvette ZR-1 goes for.
    Won't lie I haven't kept up on his tech for a few years, but still most of what I said is true.
    Like the part to get it more mainstream cause I dunno about where you live, but for me the closest charging station would be a short drive to Montana, or Washington DC...

But the daily driver you could drive the volt too as it has 40 mile range on electric only. I remember one of chevy's people said when asked that they had to put a device in the tank to agitate the gas so it wouldn't go stale as most of their prototypes the gas went bad cause the people barely ever engaged it due to them barely driving more then 30 miles a day, and plugging it in at night. From what I see owners are claiming they get 129.1 MPG. So basically you get the benefit of what musk is pushing for short drives with a vehicle that has over an 800 mile range on a 10 gallon tank of gas for the long haul..

BTW sorry about the 40 mile range thing I was thinking of the volts on electric only.
    With great speed comes greater repair bills.
    Click on My models to see some of what I own. Eventually will add the rest

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Well of course they're more expensive. They're new. (I'm not including older-generation electric cars) Remember when flat-screen TVs came out? They were rediculously expensive. Now you can get a 42" one for $500. And Tesla cars have ten times the range of ANY other electric out there. 300 miles to a charge! As the article says, Tesla's REAL competition is gas-powered cars. And BTW, the 0-60 times for a Tesla roadster? 3 seconds. Take that BMW.
    None of that changes that they are impractical due to range and they are expensive now....and they have a limited life span (due to the cost replacing the battery).

Well DUH, RC cars use insignificant amounts of energy. And,uh, rockets don't use petroleum.
    I was talking about me and you in our full sized cars/vans/trucks/whatever...you maybe driving a vehicle that uses many times the amount of fuel that mine does (efficiency)...it wont make any difference in the grand scheme of things.
    So...rockets...uh kerosene?

Right! We all need to conserve. Petrolium-based automobiles don't make sense for the long term. We need to save our remaining petroleum for the OTHER things we use it for, like plastics, and other petro-chemicals. Not BURN it! That's stupid. Do I drive a gas-powered car? Yes. A moderate one that gets decent mileage. Would I buy a Tesla? In a heartbeat, if I wasn't retired. Tesla has the formula for VIABLE electric transportation! With practical range, and power equivalent to gas vehicles. Why wouldn't I want one?
    So using non renewal fuel for one thing is ok..but not another?

And what might that be?
    The fact that he is beating a dead horse.

The question still remains...where does this electric stuff come from?
    When I die, I want to go in my sleep like my grandfather,not screaming
    like the passengers in his car at the time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    I don't get you, Anthoop.

For the record, I was mistaken about rocket fuel. Sometimes they do use a petroleum-based product. Otherwise they use liquid hydrogen.

Yes I drive a gasoline car, like most of the other people on the planet. (Subaru & Mazda) It's what we're stuck with at the moment. At least I'm not driving those rediculous behemouths like a Hummer or a Navigator. I'd buy an electric car if I could buy a Tesla, but I can't. I'm retired, and currently, they're too pricey. But that's not so say that I don't admire what they're doing to change the silly paradigm we're stuck in. My point is that we need to start not using gasoline as a main energy source for transportation. Sure there are going to be vehicles that will need the power and range of liquid fuel, but for CARS? There's no reason that the average family car has to use gas at all. Hybrids are a nice stop-gap, but they're still using gas.
    Just a schmoe....

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    THIS is why I'd buy a Tesla in a heartbeat, if I wasn't retired. It kicks butt!
    http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...5d_first_test/

Tesla = Bavarian Heartburn
    Just a schmoe....