Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Change of plans...new car. ;) UPDATE 5/12/15

Old 03-07-2015, 02:39 PM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Change of plans...new car. ;) UPDATE 5/12/15

updated pics on page 2, post 3.

Hey guys, hold up on the welcome back, I haven't actually been anywhere, I've been looking from time to time and doing tickets, I just haven't been posting for the last year or so. Had another kid and things were pretty hectic there for a while, don't expect tons of posts from me, but I'm going to be dusting off the RCs for summer. Things have been going well for me lately, despite what you're hearing about Greece. That could all change any moment of course, but for the time being I can't complain.

Anyway, those of you who know me well, know that if there's one thing I love more than RC, it's real cars. Well, I've never been a fabulously rich dude unfortunately, and when I was a teenager I made myself an ambitious promise that I would own a lamborghini by the time I was 40. Well, I turned 38 a couple of weeks ago, and let's face it, that ain't gonna happen. lol.

So a few months ago I crashed the Type R (that was what came after the S2000 if anybody's keeping track). Some woman tried her luck very late from a red light, while I was taking the green light rolling and she did the classic 'rabbit in the headlights' trick and braked in front of me, I t-boned her right in the middle of the junction. Pretty hard, broke my thumb on the steering wheel bracing myself. Nothing I could do. Anyway, the car was fixed (chassis was fine, strong car on the front, those EP3s) but after that I didn't really want to keep it of course, so since it looked good after the repairs, I sold it cheaply pretty easily. I've been saving ever since I got rid of the S2000, and with the EP3 sale, had enough to get something really fast that I could also put the kids in. Spent a lot of time looking for the right Evo X without luck. Or should I say I was lucky I didn't find one, since a few weeks later, this popped up...

It's mine now. A 2008 BMW 335xi Coupe. Although it lacks rear doors which I really wanted for the kids, the fact of the matter is they aren't a huge priority, as my car is only used once in a blue moon for family duties, my wife has a Volvo XC60 kid taxi for all that.

Anyway, the car is spectacular. 3.0 Twin Turbo AWD, 300hp, 300tq stock. This one has an Akrapovic exhaust and KW v3 fully adjustable suspension already fitted and corner balanced, a great base for me to build on with my mods. By this time next year, this 335 should be running 400awhp (about 520 at the fly), for a very reasonable investment. Suffice it to say I got the car for a total bargain with only 32,000 miles on it, owned by a ship captain who was at sea all the time. It's barely run in.

So there ya go, that's my news, at least I'll have a car that can see off a couple of lamborghinis by the time I'm 40, if not the lamborghini I dreamed of. Will keep you guys updated of progress, I've already got new rims, but I'll leave that as a surprise, as the next time you see the car it will look quite a bit better across the board. Those AC Schnitzer rims it's wearing now, are sadly fake, they had to go, despite the fact they aren't too bad looking, replica 19s are just too heavy for a performance car.

Foxy out.

Last edited by Foxy; 05-12-2015 at 08:39 AM.
Old 03-07-2015, 05:31 PM
DieHarder

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Glad to see you're back! Nice Beamer! Can't wait to see that thing next year. lol Broken thumb sucks though... and that Type R.
Old 03-07-2015, 11:25 PM
Dirty_Vinylpusher

Hullo Foxer.

long time no see.

Did you end up selling that Tone monster servo in the end..?

Old 03-08-2015, 01:17 AM
Foxy

Thanks DH.

DVP, nope, never did sell any of the large scale stuff in the end. All still in the basement untouched in 18 months. Just lately I've been thinking again about whether to keep or sell it all. I could use the money for the bmw, we'll see...
Old 03-08-2015, 08:40 AM
cumminspower5.9
My Feedback: (4)

Nice looking ride Foxy. Glad to hear all is going well since your disappearance lol.
Old 03-08-2015, 04:15 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Foxy!! You're back? And nice BMW!
Old 03-08-2015, 05:57 PM
Lunchboxer

Nice Foxy.. went from high rev to boost now?!
Old 03-09-2015, 12:24 AM
Foxy

Yeh, twin snail power, couldn't resist. Thanks LB, how's the beetle going?
Old 03-09-2015, 08:19 AM
Lunchboxer

It is going well.. just went over 40k miles last year.. suspension was redone last year with JRZ dampers.. weapon grade, yo..
Old 03-09-2015, 08:22 AM
Lunchboxer

What mods are you planning on doing?
Old 03-09-2015, 08:38 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Looking into a new car myself, they just brought the new Ford Focus RS to the states. With A-plan, it will be around $25k for an AWD Focus with turbo and a 6 spd manual transmission, built and tuned in Germany, around 330 Hp? Yea, I'm in hahaha

The same day, this June, that I roll off the lot with that the wife's getting her brand new Ford Fusion Energi Titatium. Gonna be a good year

Problem is, working 9 days straight and taking 2 off, all work out of town, I'll have this awesome car and no time to enjoy it!!!
Old 03-09-2015, 08:44 AM
FahrtAutoRC

Pretty
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	focus rs 2016.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	1.42 MB
ID:	2080073  
Old 03-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Foxy

Its a good looking car the Focus, and AWD now? It was about time.

LB, I've got the standard 'FBO' stuff (Full Bolt On) planned, in this approximate order...

Walnut blast the intake valves to clean all the crap off them
Oil catch can (to reduce the blow by which necessitates the above)
Change oil, plugs and coils
VRSF Decatted xi downpipes
aFe Pro Dry intake (basically a fancy dual cone intake)
Chargepipe and Tial BoV to replace plastic stockers
Much larger FMIC (Intercooler), probably ETS 5" or maybe VRSF stepped.
Then a tune. Those mods should give me around 400awhp and 500awtq on a fairly conservative 96 octane tune (96 octane (aka 100RON) is at every gas station here and doesn't cost much more than 91.)

I won' be looking for more power after that, even stock with this exhaust it's more than quick enough.

Already got suspension but I will swap in some of the M3 geometry parts on the back.
Drilled and slotted rotors (has to be done, they are huge and my wheels are quite open)

And of course the cosmetic stuff, which is more expensive and will have to be done slowly...hoping one day for a magazine feature, something along the lines of 'Ferrari killer for 30k? Believe it.'. I'm not kidding myself its a ferrari, but it'll have Ferrari power and still be a good fun car to drive.

Last edited by Foxy; 03-09-2015 at 09:46 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 09:57 AM
Lunchboxer

That's plenty of power.. the bottom end and tranny will be fine with that?! Should be a fun project!

Keep us posted!!
Old 03-09-2015, 10:08 AM
Foxy

Yep, bottom end and tranny all good to around 500whp and 600wtq. Mostly forged internals, unlike the updated N55 (single turbo engine after 2010), which needs pistons and crankshaft for silly power, but can still hold 500wtq on stock. The brakes are also good enough for that kind of power, which is great, cos that's an expensive upgrade when its needed. Well built, these panzers.

Last edited by Foxy; 03-09-2015 at 10:11 AM.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:26 PM
Lunchboxer

If you are changing the brake rotors, I'd recommend something that's slotted, but not drilled.. cracks tend to form between the holes and once a few of them connects together, it is time to throw them into the trash can..
Old 03-10-2015, 12:24 AM
Foxy

Yeh, I have heard this, but to be honest, I don't do as much hard driving as I'd like. I don't think I'm going to get such large ranges in the heat cycle, I have to do it for looks alone (because race car lol). :P If it turns out to be a mistake, so be it.
Old 03-10-2015, 08:03 AM
Lunchboxer

Because race car -> even more reason to use slot only, yo!

But yeah, if not track abused, the rotors will probably last forever anyway!! Doesn't matter.. !
Old 03-10-2015, 08:37 AM
Foxy

Since I live in Europe, there will be a trip to the nurburgring in my future of course, its a 'bucket list' item. I just hope the car survives. lol.
Old 03-10-2015, 09:26 AM
Lunchboxer

I'd go to the Ring just cruise around.. I am ok with that!! I don't need to go fast there!
Old 03-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Foxy

I would have to know my time was better than average for a tourist, otherwise I'd be disappointed with myself. My wife will probably find the person in charge of the timing and make sure they tell me something positive even if I was crap. lol.
Old 03-10-2015, 12:00 PM
Lunchboxer

It is an unforgiving place to go off line... !!
Old 03-10-2015, 01:12 PM
Foxy

Funny thing is I know the track well, don't we all...I bet it's quite different in reality. Though I'm reminded of the Top Gear episode, I think it was season 17 episode 1 or 2 when they take hot hatchbacks to Monaco, and Clarkson's time is SIGNIFICANTLY better than the other 2 despite his typically over aggressive style, just from 'knowing' the layout of the track (the others had no prior knowledge of the track whatsoever), if not every bump and undulation, at least enough to make a big difference. I don't even know what you get for your money for a tourist visit at the Ring, 2 laps?
Old 03-11-2015, 09:49 AM
Lunchboxer

Knowing the track layout will help a lot for sure!
Old 03-11-2015, 12:06 PM
Anthoop

Good to hear from you Foxy...and with all the politics going on....good to hear all is good for you.

BMW looks like fun...

Mmmmm.....Nordschleife......one day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.