Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Why is this website so slow?

Old 07-15-2015, 07:27 PM
Large Larry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SyCo_VeNoM
its not really strange as traffic is routed all different ways through the net, and people are accessing it at different times.
Think of is like driving a trip might take you 15 minutes where the next time it could take 45 minutes on the same route, and if they decide to rip up the roads it could take an hour+
I'm certainly no expert on the matter, but I thought those types of problems where a thing of the past from back in the dial up days? I remember when I first got the internet, overseas sites loaded slowly, and during peak times of the day everything was slow.

I have had the same issues with slow loading pages at RCTech which I am of the understanding belongs to the same company as RCUniverse? I even get a few pop ups on RCTech from time to time.

Things have been good here for me since my last post no matter what time of the day I sign on, so I'm hoping it's at least fixed for me.
Old 07-16-2015, 08:49 AM
Foxy

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Slower than usual for me today. Just sayin. And yes, this site and RCtech are both owned by Internet Brands and undoubtedly served from the same datacenter.
Old 07-16-2015, 10:54 AM
jkdv8
My Feedback: (1)

It's not mobile friendly that's for sure.
Old 07-16-2015, 03:45 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Originally Posted by Large Larry
I'm certainly no expert on the matter, but I thought those types of problems where a thing of the past from back in the dial up days? I remember when I first got the internet, overseas sites loaded slowly, and during peak times of the day everything was slow.

I have had the same issues with slow loading pages at RCTech which I am of the understanding belongs to the same company as RCUniverse? I even get a few pop ups on RCTech from time to time.

Things have been good here for me since my last post no matter what time of the day I sign on, so I'm hoping it's at least fixed for me.
No, SyCo's pretty right about that. It may also just be your location, even though you are somewhat close to me. Because RCU is never slow for me and maybe I'm taking a less-traveled path that is more direct than yours is. Even though it is pretty weird, as it seems after a quick IP search for RCU's IP that I got using ping in cmd shows its hosted in El Segundo, CA.

I really do think that it is the ads that slow this site down, as I run an adblocker 24/7 and its always fast for me.

Last edited by collector1231; 07-16-2015 at 03:50 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 01:37 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Large Larry

no sadly they are not gone
one bad router can bring traffic to a crawl

I remember when I used to play WoW a few years back I had 4 second latency for almost a week as at one point the hop stopped responding.
My buddy oddly who had the same exact ISP, and lived only 4 blocks away had a latency of 100ms. Did a trace rout comparison and mine would just die at the 9th hop which he didn't get.
Think of it like a highway people go flying down going 55mph till they see that one person who had an accident and all slow down to look causing massive congestion, but in this case it would be either a router dying, or being hammered by a DDoS attack, and for some reasons ISP's don't change your routes very easily it seems.

As for ads slowing it down... what ads? I've never seen an ad on this site