Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Why is this website so slow?

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 10:02 PM
Large Larry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why is this website so slow?

Sometimes it takes 10 seconds or more for a page to load. I know it's not my internet, I get around 25mbs so it can't be that, and every other site I visit loads instantly. I understand this place got a revamp a little while ago, but what was the point of that if it feels like I'm browsing on a dial up connection? I feel as though it wouldn't be as dead around here if the pages loaded more quickly as well. It's a shame really, it's a nice website with a good layout. It's 2015 not 1995, this stuff shouldn't even be an issue.
Old 07-04-2015, 10:20 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

...really? All pages (except the Lounge, which is acceptable as it is nearly 700 pages long) load in less than a second on my PC. Maybe its on your end?
Old 07-04-2015, 10:52 PM
Large Larry

Well if it's on my end then this is the only website that is affected. I visit around 10-15 websites regularly and countless others when looking at news articles and stuff like that, I never have any issues until I decide to look around rcuniverse.

EDIT: When I hit the "submit post" button on this post I counted 9 seconds before it went through.

Last edited by Large Larry; 07-04-2015 at 10:55 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:30 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A whole 9 seconds ? WOW, that's almost a lifetime for some !
Old 07-05-2015, 11:46 AM
collector1231

Originally Posted by Large Larry
Well if it's on my end then this is the only website that is affected. I visit around 10-15 websites regularly and countless others when looking at news articles and stuff like that, I never have any issues until I decide to look around rcuniverse.

EDIT: When I hit the "submit post" button on this post I counted 9 seconds before it went through.
Took me less than a second to post this, lol. I think RCU is just running something your PC doesn't like. Try re-updating Java, Flash, and change to Firefox if needed.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:02 PM
moparbarn

Once I'm on RCU, pages load as quickly as any other site. BUT, logging on is MUCH slower than it used to be & I get a "network error" message about 1/3 of the time. Usually comes up on the second try, sometimes (rarely) it takes 3 tries. No other site does this, whether I'm on my tablet, laptop or phone. Different servers at different locations make no matter.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:10 PM
heavenflyer

Pages take very long to load here also compared to a normal site. 6-9 seconds. And its not my pc, firefox, ie both the same. Others do it also.

Last edited by heavenflyer; 07-05-2015 at 05:37 PM.
Old 07-05-2015, 05:38 PM
LazeeAce

This site always loads a bit slow, but after I'm in, it's generally fast, but not as fast as navigation in other web sites. What really puzzles me is why photos are so slow to load (10-15 sec) in the forums, but they load almost instantaneous in the classified ads.
Old 07-05-2015, 06:50 PM
Mike Flea

It was slow there for a while, however , today it seems to be loading a lot faster between threads. The other forum that's really slow is RC Tech. I sometimes wonder if my computer is locking up because it runs so slow.
Old 07-05-2015, 07:56 PM
rrembert

Slow for me as well...especially the photos...my wifi connection and computer are pretty darn fast...
Old 07-06-2015, 05:59 AM
Rocketman_

I believe that what we are seeing is alag by their service provider. The RCU pages pop onto the screen immediatelyonce the server responds. They loadquickly because they appear to be free of those lousy poorly written scriptsthat web page authors like to use these days.
As for pictures, they are way slowerthan they were before RCU made their interface (software?) change. That certainly discourages you from lookingat too many pictures.

Old 07-06-2015, 06:07 AM
Rocketman_

Wondering why some spaces between words were left out of my previous post after it was uploaded (post#11).
Old 07-06-2015, 07:44 AM
flycatch
My Feedback: (26)

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

The same thing happened to me last week. I posted the same question and within an hour it returned to normal.
Old 07-06-2015, 07:55 AM
heavenflyer

I guess they get what they pay for.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:20 PM
rgburrill

Received 76 Likes on 67 Posts

Sometimes it takes 10 seconds or more for a page to load. I know it's not my internet, I get around 25mbs so it can't be that, and every other site I visit loads instantly. I understand this place got a revamp a little while ago, but what was the point of that if it feels like I'm browsing on a dial up connection? I feel as though it wouldn't be as dead around here if the pages loaded more quickly as well. It's a shame really, it's a nice website with a good layout. It's 2015 not 1995, this stuff shouldn't even be an issue.
Wow, a whole 10 seconds. I don't know how I would survive if I had to wait 10 seconds for a page to load.
Old 07-06-2015, 05:05 PM
CafeenMan

I have the same experience with this site only. I think the RCU host uses either slow servers or has a slow connection. It takes 30-45 seconds for the site to even come up for me almost always. Then for any given page to load takes 15-20 seconds.

The only other sites that are slow for me are sites that have tons of of scripted animation and such.

Most sites load up in the blink of an eye for me.

But for the entire time I've been a member of RCU it's always been a very slow site. Not a big deal. It's always been worth it.
Old 07-06-2015, 10:49 PM
Large Larry

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
A whole 9 seconds ? WOW, that's almost a lifetime for some !
Originally Posted by rgburrill
Wow, a whole 10 seconds. I don't know how I would survive if I had to wait 10 seconds for a page to load.
This day in age waiting that long for a page to load is unacceptable, and when you're looking at a lot of different threads it starts to get annoying.

At least it's good to know I'm not the only one having this issue and that the problem is more than likely with the site and not on my end. I would have replied to this thread sooner but I haven't been able to sign in for a few days, which is another bug that I get here from time to time. I wonder if the powers that be will ever do anything about these problems?
Old 07-06-2015, 11:07 PM
CafeenMan

I wonder if the powers that be will ever do anything about these problems?
I wouldn't count on it as it's a regular complaint over the years. There have been "major upgrades" that either did nothing to improve it or made it worse. I don't know if any of the upgrades were even intended to address speed of access.

Sometimes the site is just offline but because of the slow page load times I can't always tell because sometimes my browser just times out and I move along to something else and don't bother trying to reload to see if the site is online or if it's just slow at that time.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:30 PM
Large Larry

Originally Posted by CafeenMan
I wouldn't count on it as it's a regular complaint over the years. There have been "major upgrades" that either did nothing to improve it or made it worse. I don't know if any of the upgrades were even intended to address speed of access.

Sometimes the site is just offline but because of the slow page load times I can't always tell because sometimes my browser just times out and I move along to something else and don't bother trying to reload to see if the site is online or if it's just slow at that time.
And that's how they start losing traffic. I can't remember where I saw it but I read something a while ago about how if people are browsing and it takes more than 3-4 seconds for something to load they will lose interest in what they are looking at and divert their attention elsewhere. It might not seem like a lot of time to some but when it happens over and over again it's no surprise to me that people will look elsewhere for their content. It's a shame, this place has a nice layout and it's easy to embed videos and pictures in posts. If they could sort out a few of the issues I think there would be a lot more people here on a regular basis.
Old 07-07-2015, 05:37 AM
HoundDog
My Feedback: (49)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine is the same way. Cloned my HHD to an SSD the other day and went from a 2 minute boot to an 8 second boot. My computer seemed to load RCU pages faster (Who Knows Why) but know it's back to it's old slow self. I use Chrome. My Fire Fox got crupted and I attempted to reload it but it still did funny crap.
Old 07-07-2015, 11:02 AM
collector1231

Still loads everything fast for me. I'll have to make a video. But have you guys tried AdBlock yet on Firefox? It bogs down the PC too much on Chrome, but I have a feeling that is what is making the site fast for me.

Last edited by collector1231; 07-07-2015 at 11:05 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 07:01 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CafeenMan

Yea I remember when they "upgraded" the site, and it was up, and down for 3 months the RC truck section lost I'd say 99% of the regular posters. Any sub forum here would have at minimum 50 people on it at all times, and posts would goto page 2 in minutes. Now a topic with no reply can sit in the top 10 posts for weeks.

Also I've stopped coming as regularly as I was due to this site sucking ass. I'd say 85% of the time(if I can get the site to load) I can't even login as the login page won't load, or if I do login the forums won't recognize it even.
Honestly I've seen forums run by people in a basement on crap hardware perform better then this one. I don't think the owners even give a crap about it anymore as changes that should have happened that certain moderators wanted to enact never happened(like combining certain sub forums).

Last edited by SyCo_VeNoM; 07-07-2015 at 07:05 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:33 PM
collector1231

Made a video of me browsing RCU and my Speedtest proving it is you guys not running AdBlocker.... Sorry for the weird music choice; new OS install and i just used tracks 1, 2, and 3 of a game in the DVD drive, lol.

https://youtu.be/o2Anw3DqStw
Old 07-11-2015, 12:50 PM
Large Larry

Thanks for the video collector, it's strange that the site acts so differently for different people. I haven't been on here for a few days but strangely enough everything is working as it should today, and I haven't made any changes on my end. Pages load less than a second after I click on them. I sure hope it stays this way.
Old 07-15-2015, 06:51 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the video collector, it's strange that the site acts so differently for different people. I haven't been on here for a few days but strangely enough everything is working as it should today, and I haven't made any changes on my end. Pages load less than a second after I click on them. I sure hope it stays this way.
its not really strange as traffic is routed all different ways through the net, and people are accessing it at different times.
Think of is like driving a trip might take you 15 minutes where the next time it could take 45 minutes on the same route, and if they decide to rip up the roads it could take an hour+

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.