Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

I'm still guessing..

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2016, 03:46 AM
B3nsen

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

finally I got it all done.

still some details left but it works
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3089.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	1.32 MB
ID:	2157318   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3097[1].JPG
Views:	80
ID:	2157319  
Old 04-14-2016, 01:59 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

VERY nice! I'd be careful with that "spaghetti" near the diff and pinion, though. Maybe try bundling them up on top of the diff cover. Also, loving that battery retention system.
Old 04-14-2016, 06:15 PM
Maj_Overdrive
My Feedback: (11)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Nice home brewed conversion.

I also couldn't help but wonder what the buggy actually is and when I compared the pic you posted of the Hyper 8 to your buggy I could tell right away it's not a Hyper 8. What you have is most definitely a Thunder Tiger buggy. I don't know the exact model, I'll leave that to you to search out. But if you look at pics for the Thunder Tiger EB4 S3 nitro you'll see it has the same rear chassis brace, same exact radio box, same exact center diff top plate, same exact servo plate and the same exact steering top plate on top of the steering bellcranks. Sorry I didn't look here sooner, you probably could've used Thunder Tiger's motor mount from the electric EB4 and saved yourself some blood sweat and tears doing the conversion. But at least you have a better idea where to look for parts of you ever need them.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:58 AM
B3nsen

the cleaned up version no more spaghettis

Name:	IMG_3101.JPG
Views:	79
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	2157450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3102.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	2157451   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3103.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	1.13 MB
ID:	2157452  
Old 04-15-2016, 04:09 AM
B3nsen

Hey cool, thx Maj_Overdrive.
It must be somehow a mixed up chassis...if you look at the front arms from the st4 g3...they are pretty much the same. But cool anyway..gives me hope to get some spare parts

Name:	6404_03.jpg
Views:	71
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	2157453  
Old 04-15-2016, 05:09 PM
Maj_Overdrive

You know I thought it looked a little weird, like the arms were too long for a buggy. But it's kind of hard to tell in pics sometimes without something to compare it too. Good call on the truggy arms, but it's not a mish mash of parts. It's a Thunder Tiger ST1 nitro (now brushless) truggy. Early truggies like the ST1 do have slightly longer arms than a buggy but not as long as the arms on today's truggies. If you look at pics of the ST1 (and the ST4 G3 you posted) you'll see the stock wheels have lots of offset to widen the vehicle. Newer style truggies have longer arms and use less offset or even zero offset wheels.

Those larger monster truck style tires in the pic on this page don't have enough offset. That's why they're so close to the chassis and probably hit the chassis when turning. Some truggies use extended wheel hexes and less wheel offset to make the truck wider. Something to consider instead of buying new wheels.
Old 04-16-2016, 02:40 AM
B3nsen

Thanks for sharing this with me. it does make more & more sense now!

As for the offset, I believe there is plenty of room for steering...as far as I could test it looks good. Thanks to my buddy I hadnt spend a dime on those wheels

I was wondering, if you could give me idea for bodymounts? Since the front ones had to move for the additional shocks. Probably gonna go for the Parna Gravedigger body or the Parma Chevy Body should also fit. Happy for any suggestions

Cheers

Name:	IMG_3104.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	1.31 MB
ID:	2157566   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3105.JPG
Views:	83
ID:	2157567  
Old 04-16-2016, 04:43 PM
Maj_Overdrive

Have a look at Traxxas Revo and Maxx body mount posts. They're square bodied making it pretty easy to bolt to your shock tower, and are available extra long for bodies like the Grave Digger. Either way they're how I once put a SCT body on a 1/8 buggy. Also consider using the wing mount as the rear body mount.

Another option is Associated SC8 body mounts. You'll probably have to grind a little off one side of them to flatten them out and drill some new holes in them and your towers but they look like something that could be adapted.