Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

Horizon Hobby @Motorama

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 07:28 AM
callsignMERLIN

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Horizon Hobby @Motorama

So because Horizon was the main sponsor at Motorama they kicked every other dealer out! Giant venue with 3 rc race tracks, 1/8 and 1/10 tracks and dirt oval, not to mention Traxxas is the only thing that runs dirt oval. I guess I just expected to be able to do a little rc car/truck shopping but thanks to Horizon that didn't happen. And the **** Horizon was selling was non-negotiable. LST 3exl was $699 I offered $650 cash and they wouldn't do it. The demo area was 30'x50' = weak, especially if you are going to declare yourself the only vendor just bc you are the title sponsor. What kind of **** is that when the rc is 1/3 of the entire event. Horizon you get two giant thumbs down for this one.
Old 02-19-2018, 09:16 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What proof do you have that they "kicked" other dealers out?
Old 02-19-2018, 12:08 PM
callsignMERLIN

My buddy was right next to me. Guy behind the tables under the Horizon tent said straight up, "We are the title sponsor so we didn't want any other rc vendors here",
Old 02-19-2018, 01:59 PM
flyinwalenda

Well that's a far cry from saying they "kicked " other vendors out.
They agreed to be the main sponsor and I am sure they paid the organizers a great deal of money for that title. Of course they would have a say in who else could be there selling stuff.
Old 02-19-2018, 08:03 PM
callsignMERLIN

So, how is having a say in who else can sell vs kicking everyone else out any different? They paid more to "keep" everyone out? Different verbiage but same exact thing...

Only other vendors were some guys in the pits and Jconcepts. And I think that was only because they were there with a driver and had a pit space and were just selling tires from there.

Whoever is in charge of the marketing for motorama should get in touch with me
Old 03-03-2018, 07:16 PM
suburban_hooligan

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts

its called exclusivity rights. those jackoffs over at traxxas have pulled the same crap in the TORC series, monster jam, NHRA and im sure other places. its common practice, a company buys the rights to call themselves the "exclusive whatever of fill in the blank" and then no other similar/competing company can advertise or sponsor that series/event.

if you want to ***** about an RC company doing this, ***** about traxxas as they've proven themselves to be the biggest offenders. so don't go hating on horizon.

Last edited by suburban_hooligan; 03-03-2018 at 07:19 PM.
Old 03-05-2018, 06:23 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Possibly another jab at Hobbico/Tower Hobbies?

I don't think I've ever bought a single item from Horizon. I don't think I'll start anytime soon either. It's like going to the dark side for me.
Old 03-11-2018, 12:52 PM
callsignMERLIN

Say what you want but I personally think Traxxas has done the most to promote the hobby. They offer a variety of products and are priced for different interest levels. Stock Slash for example is $189... No other company offers a similar product of any quality at a price that is even close to that for what you get.

Horizons prices are high, real news.
Old 03-11-2018, 02:34 PM
suburban_hooligan

siting a terrible handling top heavy chassis with antiquated electronics, horrendous suspension and steering geometry that is prone to breakage and requires a big investment in aftermarket parts just to make it reliably functional. not a good argument.
"its cheap" is not a good argument. cheap means cheap. and cheap means crap. value is what you're looking for and traxxas lacks that in every way shape and form because every other vehicle they have is over priced, poorly functioning and aftermarket dependent. and when you look at the rest of there line up there are always better usually less expensive or at least competitively priced alternatives.

traxxas doesn't promote the hobby, traxxas promotes traxxas.. they don't do anything inside the industry. they don't promote any RC events. they just buy exclusivity rights outside the industry and promote themselves. they peddle there over priced noob based crap to idiots who are dumb enough to whip out the credit card to rack up debt on a $500 impulse buy. just because you own an RC doesn't mean your a hobbyist. and just because people do that doesn't mean the industry is better off. most of the cars they sell are hardly driven, get broken and then get parked. it doesn't support anyone but traxxas. and traxxas doesn't care because they sold there snake oil and ran (can you say "con artistry"?)

i will agree that horizons prices are high though. but that's a different rant about a different group of idiots
Old 03-11-2018, 02:43 PM
flyinwalenda

Originally Posted by callsignMERLIN
Say what you want but I personally think Traxxas has done the most to promote the hobby. They offer a variety of products and are priced for different interest levels. Stock Slash for example is $189... No other company offers a similar product of any quality at a price that is even close to that for what you get.

Horizons prices are high, real news.
LOL!
You do know that Horizon also sells Traxxas products................don't you ? https://www.horizonhobby.com/pink-sl...%29-tra58024t5

Your hole seems to be deep enough......stop digging !
Old 03-11-2018, 02:53 PM
suburban_hooligan

i think he means horizon as a brand, not as a distributor. so brands like TL Racing, losi, ECX, and Vaterra. those are all a little higher on the pricing scale. and TL Racing is just on crack
Old 03-12-2018, 05:48 PM
callsignMERLIN

Originally Posted by suburban_hooligan
siting a terrible handling top heavy chassis with antiquated electronics, horrendous suspension and steering geometry that is prone to breakage and requires a big investment in aftermarket parts just to make it reliably functional. not a good argument.
"its cheap" is not a good argument. cheap means cheap. and cheap means crap. value is what you're looking for and traxxas lacks that in every way shape and form because every other vehicle they have is over priced, poorly functioning and aftermarket dependent. and when you look at the rest of there line up there are always better usually less expensive or at least competitively priced alternatives.

traxxas doesn't promote the hobby, traxxas promotes traxxas.. they don't do anything inside the industry. they don't promote any RC events. they just buy exclusivity rights outside the industry and promote themselves. they peddle there over priced noob based crap to idiots who are dumb enough to whip out the credit card to rack up debt on a $500 impulse buy. just because you own an RC doesn't mean your a hobbyist. and just because people do that doesn't mean the industry is better off. most of the cars they sell are hardly driven, get broken and then get parked. it doesn't support anyone but traxxas. and traxxas doesn't care because they sold there snake oil and ran (can you say "con artistry"?)

i will agree that horizons prices are high though. but that's a different rant about a different group of idiots
RC isn't about just being a "hobbyist", its about having fun! There are all different levels, says nowhere that you need to go all in with one of the 4 major track brands. And I think Traxxas puts out a pretty durable product at a reasonable price point, I know bc Im a "hobbyist". You mentioned $500? How do you figure? I race a stock slash super truck class and its every bit as fun as my mod stadium truck at a way affordable price to get people to the track. And even after a few hard hits im no more than $20 into parts. You cant argue that it is the most readily available product at most LHS. And there are race classes such as the on road super truck and dirt oval mudboss class totally devoted to that line of product. Listen Im by no means a Traxxas lover but they get people into the hobby and most will usually venture on to something more tunable and thats great. If the hobby stays exclusive it will never grow. And to spite what you say I dont see and have never seen a rc company try and go main steam like Traxxas has with sponsoring funny cars being into super trucks boats drones ect. Name another RC company that has tried to do what they are doing? In any case it peaks interest in the hobby and if you dont have a clue about marketing or business just leave it to the big dogs...

And yes all they were selling was Losi at Motorama. The original post was in regard to the one dimensional sales and lack of selection at a relatively large rc event.
Old 03-12-2018, 05:53 PM
callsignMERLIN

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
LOL!
You do know that Horizon also sells Traxxas products................don't you ? https://www.horizonhobby.com/pink-sl...%29-tra58024t5

Your hole seems to be deep enough......stop digging !
what are you 90.
Old 03-12-2018, 07:48 PM
suburban_hooligan

pretty much any brushless 1/10 or bigger traxxas vehicle. plus battery, plus charger. usually comes out to around $500. last i checked the brushless revo was over $500 all by it self. and its the main truck they push.

bolink was a small sponsor on a funny car back in the 80's (can't remember off the top of my head who's car)
AE did the same in the 2000's. again i can't remember who's car, i just remember seeing the logo on the side of the car.
HPI was doing stuff with monster jam, including sponsoring 3 trucks. (iron outlaw, scarlet bandit, bounty hunter)
HPI was involved in formula D for several years.
AE has been a highly visible sponsor in LOORS and desert racing.
i think both vaterra and axial have been done stuff with king of the hammers.
i think it was axial who was the official RC manufacture of SCORE within the last couple years.
iv heard of tamiya sponsoring touring cars (but that might have just been in japan).
hell how about the topic of this thread. horizon promoting losi at motorama
so tell me again how no other RC manufacture has tried to go mainstream

all the hobby shops around me, AE is probably the easiest thing to get. well supported and always in stock. and the entire product line is that way. traxxas is probably number #2 on that list, but seems to only support the slash and revo. support for anything else is usually not readily available.

Last edited by suburban_hooligan; 03-12-2018 at 07:54 PM.
Old 03-15-2018, 12:16 PM
callsignMERLIN

Originally Posted by suburban_hooligan
pretty much any brushless 1/10 or bigger traxxas vehicle. plus battery, plus charger. usually comes out to around $500. last i checked the brushless revo was over $500 all by it self. and its the main truck they push.

bolink was a small sponsor on a funny car back in the 80's (can't remember off the top of my head who's car)
AE did the same in the 2000's. again i can't remember who's car, i just remember seeing the logo on the side of the car.
HPI was doing stuff with monster jam, including sponsoring 3 trucks. (iron outlaw, scarlet bandit, bounty hunter)
HPI was involved in formula D for several years.
AE has been a highly visible sponsor in LOORS and desert racing.
i think both vaterra and axial have been done stuff with king of the hammers.
i think it was axial who was the official RC manufacture of SCORE within the last couple years.
iv heard of tamiya sponsoring touring cars (but that might have just been in japan).
hell how about the topic of this thread. horizon promoting losi at motorama
so tell me again how no other RC manufacture has tried to go mainstream

all the hobby shops around me, AE is probably the easiest thing to get. well supported and always in stock. and the entire product line is that way. traxxas is probably number #2 on that list, but seems to only support the slash and revo. support for anything else is usually not readily available.
Good to know, I've never noticed and I watch a lot of motor sports.

I don't think you need to go brushless to enjoy the hobby, especially with children.

Anyway, just expected a variety of manufactures to be there again. That's all, I'm an AE stadium truck fan.

I see you are from Pa. Did you go to Motorama? Was out that way again last weekend for the Lebanon show.
Old 06-09-2018, 03:56 PM
suburban_hooligan

to add to the list. Tamiya was advertising in Long Beach during the grad prix. notice the Tamiya logo's on the walls of the track during the stadium super truck race
Old 05-11-2019, 04:48 PM
suburban_hooligan

continuing to add to the lists
Team Losi on a car at the 1994 INDY 500
Click image for larger version

Name:	5sCzrhL.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	62.5 KB
ID:	2264234

Click image for larger version

Name:	nwuwzbv.jpg