Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

LONGEVITY plasma cutter!

Old 03-06-2010, 06:38 PM
rcaddict45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LONGEVITY plasma cutter!

Anyone have a plasma cutter here?I love to tinker around with stuff, and fabricate not only things for my RC stuff, but also fabricate things for my real trucks and cars, some times weld up something for the house, etc. I am looking into getting a plasma cutter that will work well in my work shop and be mobile capable. I dont need anything industrial, as like i said, Im just a hobbiest and want something that Ican mess around with and work with in my home shop. Ihave checked out a couple of local shops and decided to go online for better pricing. Ifound a couple of companies, but unlike the rest of the companies selling plasma cutters and welders out there, Longevity seems to have a great warranty, and the best all around pricing. Is there anyone here that will vouch for LONGEVITY?Im almost ready to pull the trigger but would love some feed back on product support. and what would be the difference between a pilot arc plasma cutter and a regular plasma cutter? Im sure out of 500,000 hobbiests on this forum, someone should be able to answer some of my questions.

Here is there website:

www.longevity-inc.com

Check them out, and let me know what you guys think. Thanks.

Old 03-06-2010, 06:48 PM
[email protected]

Default RE: LONGEVITY plasma cutter!

like watcha ya cuttin? we had one in the body shop it is a great tool. just dont need it that much to be honest. not really all that clean of a cut when done free hand. i can burn with a torch and make a nice line not better but you still have to work the edge to clean it up. thats my 2 cents. almost forgot the one we had was big $$$ and for me it was about speed and the blue tip wrench (torch) can be hot and cutting in a min.
Old 03-06-2010, 07:43 PM
rcaddict45

Would like to cut out some citing for a shed that Im constructing in my back yard. Also would like to cut out an old cat. out of an old chevy blazer that Ive got to replace. This is off the top of my head, but the ideas keep rolling out! Would like the plasma cutter to be able to power down low enough to cut out things like big block motor mounts for 1/10 scale rc cars . Things like that. I also have a lumber rack that iwould like to modify for a truck that I would like to make it fit onto. I think this is the model that Iwill be shooting for, but would like to know if Iwant the pilot arc version or the regular version.

ForceCut LP-50D

ForceCut LP-50D Pilot Arc

let me know if you think Ishould pay the extra money for the upgraded version.
Old 03-06-2010, 08:04 PM
[email protected]

dont know the tech crap on them but the one we had was for automotive use came with a very big gas bottle ( from what i was told is what controls the beam of plasma) and was a pain to move around. it could cut anything any metal any gauge as long as you had a test piece to know for sure how hot you need it. the one we had cost a lot also got a lot of use. longevity? that depends on the user but if you buy cheap idk? just like the cheap $100 welders you see at harbor fright. the shop had a lincoln welder i think was older then me...lol. if you never used one and think you will get a persice cut you dont. you need a cnc machine for that. like i said i could get great cuts with air tools, could burn it then take it to the grinder. also man make sure nothing is under what your cutting. destoryed my work bench. didnt know i was cutting that too[X(].
Old 03-06-2010, 10:46 PM
DaveG55

We have two at the shop I work at but they are not that brand. We cut heavy guage cor-ten steel with it mostly but it will cut up to 1/2 inch steel plate w/o too much trouble. The cut is not a clean cut and the steel has to be ground to the finished shape. I have worked with CNC machines using a plasma cutter and they make a much nicer cut but that's a lot more expensive and complex set-up. I would not want to try to make small parts freehand. The cutters at the shop do not use a bottled gas, just high pressure (120psi or so) compressed air. We run them off the shop air lines
Old 03-07-2010, 12:35 AM
rcslsafut

MOST plasma cutters last for a VERY LONG TIME!!!!!!
its like a welder for the most part . the tips are expendable though.
the problem with a cheap plasma is the expendable tips can be VERY EXPENSIVE!!!
even though they are more money to begin with ,a name brand one would be the way
i would go. my grandfather started with some cheap off brand german p.o.s
he had to put a fan under it as it would cut it's own power due to a thermal
cut off would shut it down ,trying to cut like 1/8th in .then the tips were five times as
much as name brand tips. my dad has a thermal dynamics, its a very good machine!!!
only rated to cut 3/8 in though .my grand dad has a miller that will cut more like 7/8.
it was waaaaaaay more money though .tips are cheap for both.
the other problem you may run into is your going to need a fairly good compressor to
run it as well.a p.o.s compressor will run it guts out trying to keep up with you.
Old 03-13-2010, 03:20 PM
rcaddict45

I wound up going with the 50D pilot arc plasma cutter! The machine comes with a nicer style torch and is not going to annoy my neighbors with the High frequency like the 50D plasma cutter will. I can also hook this machine up to a CNC table in the future if I wanted, ( probably wont but its a nice option) I received the machine yesterday and got it hooked up last night. wow this thing can cut some really thick stuff! Ive only cut some scrap material but man, it really works great! It requires 70psi from my air compressor and it runs off of 220. Got it hooked up in my garage in the dryer outlet for the time being. Got an extra kit of consumables for it for free from an over the phone sales rep. + they shipped to me for free! NOT bad for 625.00 with a 5 year warranty! The consumables are compatible with a few different companies including HTP, Lincoln, and i believe ESAB the rep said.

Time to bust out some project!  
Old 01-23-2021, 03:09 AM
Jackso672

So I have been unaware of what's going on for a decent piece. I'm preparing to send my table data to hypertherm so thy can make the machine profile for me to run in pronest.