Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.

R/C the most expensive hobby ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2005, 08:15 PM
Kemo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: R/C the most expensive hobby ?

I'd have to say automotive is the most expensive hobby. In BASIC tools, I have well over 2 grand spent. The other part is whatever car/truck you work on. In my case, mine needs a Intake Manifold Gasket and a Rack n' Pinion, with ball joints, tierods and bushings. There goes another 600 bucks.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:28 PM
Desert Racer
My Feedback: (5)

I have 25 grand in tools nothing but snap on and craftsman
Old 10-24-2005, 10:37 PM
Tweedybird

Good thing to let everyone know, atleast they'll know what to look for when they try to rob you
Old 10-24-2005, 11:59 PM
Ron Olson
My Feedback: (1)

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tigger N. Bennie

ORIGINAL: i8tweety
Having recently been introduced to triathlons, there goes another $600 for a wetsuit.
I was introduced to triathlons the easy way--a female triathlete. Then there was the XC skier... I purchased language tapes in addition to a full line of racing and training equipment. In the long run, the RCs were probably cheaper.
Ever hear of a female Tri-athlete named Wendy Ingraham? Her father used to be a safety supply salesman where I work. I've seen pix of her in magazines and saw her on TV competing in the Ironman in Hawaii.
Old 10-25-2005, 09:38 PM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: BEEN THERE WRECKED THAT

I have 25 grand in tools nothing but snap on and craftsman
I highly doubt that you have 25 grand invested in tools. Why someone would brag about having craftsman is beyond me.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:14 PM
Desert Racer

Why because they are just as good as snap on and cost less. Get the point. yes I really do not inculding my box which is a grand. Tools arent cheap you know. 500 bux for a set f racteht wrenches when the strip or break replaced free of charge
Old 10-25-2005, 11:37 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Must be a pretty small box, the one my Dad bought a couple months ago was around 5k, slightly used, and with a good discount becuase he's buddies with the tool man.
Old 10-25-2005, 11:43 PM
Desert Racer

no I got a great deal on it becuase I sepnt like 5 grand i tolls that day and the back of the box had some paint missing a little touch up and good as new. I have a new box know it is 8 ft long 12 ft with cabinets 6 ft toll with upeer cabinet 15k[X(] that is on the box alone
Old 10-25-2005, 11:58 PM
jakjr
My Feedback: (18)

Hmm, I don't think too many people are going to beleive you since you just said your box cost $1,000.

Either way, lets see some pictures of it. I'm curious as to how a 15k box looks.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:24 AM
Kemo

Word, if he could spell the word tool, maybe we'd have more respect towards it.... doubtful though. Being I am an automotive mechanic student at the tech college, I get all my tools at 50% or better discount. My tool cart alone cost me 850, so do the math... if you cant, it turns out to be 1700 just for a tool cabinet/cart.

ORIGINAL: BEEN THERE WRECKED THAT

Why because they are just as good as snap on and cost less. Get the point. yes I really do not inculding my box which is a grand. Tools arent cheap you know. 500 bux for a set f racteht wrenches when the strip or break replaced free of charge
Wrong. Craftsman makes some of the worst tools on the market. I'd take "tool shop" brand tools before i'd take a craftsman. Their ratchets always break, their air tools are garbage, and their sockets are extremely common to crack, flake, chip ect. Heck, their ratchet wrenches are even worse.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:39 AM
MajorTomski

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Reno air racing in any class.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:17 PM
Desert Racer

sure thing rc411. I have had zero problems with my sockets and ratchets. [Edit] craftsman... because there tool are just as good as your probably better and have a free warrenty replacement
Old 10-26-2005, 10:22 PM
Tigger N. Bennie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you guys want to argue about which tools each of you believe are better in each of your own opinions, why not just start another thread. However, it probably won't change the fact that each of you have your own personal preference for whatever reason much like some people prefer one product over another whether it be a tool, an RC car, or even a blonde over a brunette.
Old 10-27-2005, 06:07 AM
Tweedybird

Couldn't have said it better myself

Cheers
Old 10-27-2005, 02:32 PM
Kemo

No matter what the subject is, he has to follow someone and try to one up them. Its the only way he can feel more superior to others.
Old 01-02-2011, 03:14 PM
Ryan0

My motorcycle, spent about 4k in mods alone... more to come
Old 01-02-2011, 04:42 PM
The_Shark

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

paint ball

nuff said.
Old 01-02-2011, 04:46 PM
Valve floater

You can fly a free flight plane for 3 dollars or a 6k 150cc yak. There is joy anyway you put it. It is not all about the money. I have small electric planes that challenge me just as my larger gas models.
Old 01-02-2011, 09:34 PM
LewAshby
Banned

Drinking used to be my most expensive past time.

Now I use the money on more tangible stuff.
Old 01-03-2011, 12:55 AM
mechanizeddeath

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just wondering, but did anyone happen to notice the date on the other posts? Not only were they from 2005, but most of the posters haven't even logged in this year... or the last two. Maybe RC got too expensive for them? [&:][&:][&:]

I don't know if that's a necropost record or not, but I got a good laugh out of it.

Regarding the ancient topic, there are all kinds of crazy expensive hobbies out there. RC can be pretty high up there with the large scale gas stuff, but on the low end (where I play) it isn't too bad.
Old 01-03-2011, 01:00 PM
butt_housed247

yes i did notice the dates.  it is kind of funny but who cares it’s a good topic.

my most expensive hobby is… idk ether skateboarding or surfing.  i go through about $100 a month skateboarding.  but iv got enough put into my surfboards and stuff that i could have bought 2 new 1/5 scale gas cars.
in comparison iv only spent about $400 on RC in the past year.

Old 01-03-2011, 01:55 PM
DaveG55

I saw the date as well and found it funny. We can either complain about folks not searching or laugh about old threads. I'll laugh about it and say "Good Job on findin a good, old thread"

Any hobby is, to a certain extent, as expensive as you want it to be. If you want into a hobby cheaply you can always buy used and be frugal. Or you can go all out, buy new, cutting edge stuff, get into competition and be compettive. But to the original question, No, the RC hobby is far, far from the most expensive hobby out there.

I've got maybe $5k in RC. Maybe $4k in golf. Maybe $10 in guns. But watersports, well that on that one I've probably spent in excsee of $100,000 over the years.
Old 01-03-2011, 02:19 PM
butt_housed247

ORIGINAL: DaveG55
But watersports, well that on that one I've probably spent in excsee of $100,000 over the years.
my bros got a friend like that.we call him aqua man.he knows for a fact he’s spent over a quarter million dollars on water sports over the past15 years.
he’s got 3 boats, 5 jet ski’s, he’s hardcore into wakeboarding, waterskiing, river rafting, kayaking, sail boarding and surfing.has a hole huge cabinet in his garage full of fishing gear.
he’s the type of guy who will tow a boat to work clock out of work at 4 and the boat is in the water by 4:40.i don’t think iv ever seen his truck without some sort of water craft in the back of it or hitched up to it.
Old 01-03-2011, 05:20 PM
saucySavy
My Feedback: (2)

ORIGINAL: WackoWasko

Anyone heard of Bmx racers? 500+ for a bike. 200 for a helmet. 150 for a jersey (unless u got a sponsorship). Various hop-ups here and there all add up. I heard of someones mom that spent like 10,000 on her sons' bikes.

Then theres road racing, like lance armstrong style (dont flame me for that, I dont kno) I saw a couple of bikes for 5000.

But R/c is expensive.
ya i can relate... in the summerI dorc and 'mountain biking'. in the winterI skii 4 times a week!
anyways my bike alone is worth a good 2500, and the repair bills are insane, and come on a monthly basis
Old 01-03-2011, 06:17 PM
ElectricGuy007

This thread is dead up hilarious! Where's my popcorn? [sm=omg_smile.gif]
Also this thread is quite old just look at the dates in here...[&:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.