Community
Search
Notices
Off Topic Forum - Cars, Trucks, Buggies and more Get to know your fellow RCU member modelers in here and discuss off topic non-rc stuff. Only two topics OFF LIMITS are religion and politics. This forum for car & truck members. Plane & Heli members have their own in clubhouse section.
View Poll Results: A poll
Import - honda, toyota, ricer (people in favor of toyota in nascar)
21.37%
Muscle
78.63%
Voters: 131. You may not vote on this poll

Muscle or Import

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 01:05 PM
Tripower455
My Feedback: (2)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Muscle or Import

ORIGINAL: fastmax

Tuners are great daily drivers that can be made to perform extremely well, and not cost hundreds of dollars a week in gas. There is a lot more to going fast than horsepower. Power to weight ratio makes the biggest difference in who can get there quicker. Myself and some of my buddies run tuners and with under $3000 in mods it is very easy to run low 12s and high 11s just check out what the Subaru WRX Sti has to offer in stock form. With simple intake, exhaust and computer mods it is capable of making even the most overpowered V8 cars look like they are standing still. Dont believe it go to wrxtuners.com and check out some dyno printouts and 1/4 mile times put up by owners without running nitrous. You can also check out dsmtuners.com and find lots of Talons and Eclipses pushing well over 500 and 600 hp and running 7s and 8s in the 1/4 and still managing to get 20+ miles to the gallon. Dont get me wrong I am a huge fan of the classics and muscle cars too but dollar for dollar it is hard to beat the performance you get out of a slightly modded lightweight tuner.

The WRX is definitely a going machine........ but..... put the same money into an '06 GTO and you'll be quicker and still get over 20 mpg........ Power to weight is definitely a big issue in making a car quick. Make a lot more power, with a little more weight, and you'll go quicker......

I've seen some fast, stock imports at the track, the WRX being one of them, the TT Supras and NSXs are a few others, but most of them are simply bees in a coffee can.... Plus, I hate driving and especially working on, FWD cars........
Old 08-07-2006, 03:41 PM
fastmax

No doubt working on front and all wheel drive cars is more of a pain in the a@@. I agree with you on the GTO issue, but that car is an exception to the rule, Mustangs, Camaros, and many others require more than just the extra power to run equal times they have serious traction and wheel hop issues that just dont allow them to run as quickly in a short distance as many tuners can.

As far as driving the front wheel drive cars go, it is almost a necessity in Michigan if you want to modify a daily driver. Anything rear wheel drive is a hockey puck 5 months out of the year. Either that or it is a garage decoration.
Old 08-07-2006, 04:42 PM
Tripower455

No doubt working on front and all wheel drive cars is more of a pain in the a@@. I agree with you on the GTO issue, but that car is an exception to the rule, Mustangs, Camaros, and many others require more than just the extra power to run equal times they have serious traction and wheel hop issues that just dont allow them to run as quickly in a short distance as many tuners can.
Actually, I'd put an LS1 F body against any FWD in the traction department. In fact, they launch a lot better than the IFS on the new GTO..... Most of the "tuners" don't make enough torque for wheel hop to be a problem, and when they do, they break halfshafts.

As far as driving the front wheel drive cars go, it is almost a necessity in Michigan if you want to modify a daily driver. Anything rear wheel drive is a hockey puck 5 months out of the year. Either that or it is a garage decoration.
I'll disagree again, having spent many years driving both FWD and RWD cars in the snow. The FWD is better to get the car going on slippery surfaces, but once you are going, you'll have far more control with a RWD than FWD. FWD sucks in the rain too. The tendancy is to start swerving when you hit standing water and the only thing you can do is add more throttle to try to recover, or else it will continue all the way around. RWD will tend to recover and straighten out when you release the brakes and gas. Same thing happens in the snow. The ONLY time I lost control of a car in the snow was with a FWD when the rear came unglued in a slow speed turn. I rode the thing around the 270, and fortunately didn't hit anything. Had I been in my car, that wouldn't have happened.

And before you say it, the reason that FWD is the predominant setup nowadays is cost. It is far cheaper to manufacture a FWD car than a RWD. How many world class performance cars are FWD?
Old 08-07-2006, 05:41 PM
fastmax

But you also have to keep in mind that when trying to recover an out of control FWD you can not try and drive it like a RWD. Everything you are supposed to do is completely reversed, and 99.9% of the time a FWD car ends up spinning out of control it is in the ditch facing the road that it just came off of making it possible to drive back out instead of waiting for the towtruck. I have seen this a million times on the very road that I live on. I also see about 100 times as many RWDs in the ditch every winter. There is no way you will ever get me to buy that a RWD is more capable on slippery roads than FWD. If you took two equally powered cars with identical all season tires the FWD would destroy the RWD on a slippery road any day of the week.
Old 08-07-2006, 06:06 PM
ScRacing

if never seen it happen like that... And i grew up around towing and still ma because my dad works for a towing compiney. The best vehicles for snow are chevy pickups wiht lockers in the rear and indipendent front suspnsion. Nothing elses is nealy as good. As for cars i would say that lancers or imprezas are the best. i would love to drop a smallblock 350 in a sti v-spec, alhtoe it would take alot of modification , it would be verry verry cool. IN a sence, the best of both wrolds
Old 08-07-2006, 06:18 PM
Tripower455

But you also have to keep in mind that when trying to recover an out of control FWD you can not try and drive it like a RWD. Everything you are supposed to do is completely reversed, and 99.9% of the time a FWD car ends up spinning out of control it is in the ditch facing the road that it just came off of making it possible to drive back out instead of waiting for the towtruck. I have seen this a million times on the very road that I live on. I also see about 100 times as many RWDs in the ditch every winter. There is no way you will ever get me to buy that a RWD is more capable on slippery roads than FWD. If you took two equally powered cars with identical all season tires the FWD would destroy the RWD on a slippery road any day of the week.
Having had lots of experience with both, you'll never convince me that FWD is better for anything other than getting started in deep snow. Other than that, once moving, you'll have far more control with RWD. Standing on the gas in a skid, when the nose of the car is pointed at solid objects you'd rather not hit, is not only unnatural, it is no guarantee that you won't hit said objects anyway, at a higher speed.
Old 08-07-2006, 07:37 PM
vtl1180ny

The ONLY reason FWD is better at getting going in the snow is because the bulk of the car's weight is over the drive wheels... A few sandbags in the trunk of a RWD does the same thing!

I don't like FWD at all and I refuse to buy a FWD car... I have NEVER liked it... I was trained to drive RWD at high speeds and there is no way you can get the same handling from a FWD car...

The only reason these tuner cars move is because they weigh nothing... Back in the 70's and 80's you could get a Chevy Monza with a V8 from the factory, a little tuning on these cars and they were absolutely dangerous...
Old 08-07-2006, 09:16 PM
Kemo

ORIGINAL: ScRacing

yeah but a 572 makes 600 hp, and 1200ft pounds of torque stock, supercharge that and a 100 shot of nitrous and you would have one hell of a fast car. that would prydrop in the 7s if you ran it hard. Or you cna get the 572 and get the vortec system and make 720 hp and 1300 ftpounds of torqu but you cant use nitrous or a supercharger. Eather way, and i beleace they don't use studs in the 572 , althoe im not sure. eather way, you woul have to have a $100,000 in a tuner to pull off consistent 7s all day and not useing a 300 shot of nitrous eather.
600? Ha... my buddy's camaro pushes 500 to the rear wheels with a 350. The torque is almost at 550. Heck, he's still on vbelts too, he can throw them off at 7,000 rpms. Only about 10 grand invested in the car, TOPS, and already runs 10's. The engine is carb'd too btw.

I have to throw the BS flag on a 572 throwing 1200 ft lbs stock. Its impossible. The crate engine that has 700+ hp only pushes 620!
Old 08-09-2006, 11:20 AM
SpeedAddict

ORIGINAL: vtl1180ny

I voted muscle, well because I own 2 fine examples of American muscle, a Chevelle SS and a Corvette....

You can't compare classic muscle cars to ANY new car on a road course, my pickup truck will corner better than my Chevelle but it's also riding on 35 years newer technology....

There are some imports I like, 240/280Z's. I've always been a Porsche fan and I even like the Subaru WRX....
You're FRIGGIN' LUCKY!!!!!!! I want a 1970 Chevelle SS 454. It's my dream car. I like these pics!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Da83310.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	504623   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xs59206.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	77.3 KB
ID:	504624   Click image for larger version

Name:	In27261.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	90.2 KB
ID:	504625   Click image for larger version

Name:	Kd89820.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	504626   Click image for larger version

Name:	Do80829.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	143.5 KB
ID:	504627   Click image for larger version

Name:	Yo91923.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	504628   Click image for larger version

Name:	Qs29173.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	134.6 KB
ID:	504629   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nl40055.jpg
Size:	11.9 KB
ID:	504630  

Old 08-09-2006, 08:46 PM
Kemo

thats my fav chevelle too. I'd do quite a bit to pick one of those up, even as a resto.
Old 08-10-2006, 01:10 PM
SpeedAddict

Ditto. I HATE it when I see one with 28" rims, low profile tires, lowered, and worst of all..............hydraulics!!!!!!!! That should be illegal. I love bone stock with red and two black stripes. Well, maybe a LITTLE engine mod!
Old 08-11-2006, 12:52 AM
Kemo

i cant have a stock vehicle. It has to be performance (after warranty expires that is). Its nice to get parts at discount free labor and everything.
Old 08-11-2006, 10:15 AM
SpeedAddict

Yeah, performance is good. Even custom paint and interior. Hydraulics are stupid though.
Old 08-11-2006, 04:46 PM
Kemo

hydraulics ruin a vehicle... in every aspect of every view i have towards a vehicle .

Just got my car back, "custom" speaker installation. You other cobalt guys know what a pain the doors are, because aftermarket wont fit w/o customizing it a bit.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:47 PM
CadillacDTS2001

ORIGINAL: Kemo

hydraulics ruin a vehicle... in every aspect of every view i have towards a vehicle .

tell me about it , i man on a lambo ! come on how low

oups the link doesnt work []
any way it was a lambo contache with hydrolics that was bouncing
Old 08-13-2006, 12:13 PM
Kemo

that whole car was garbage. Thats why they don't sell worth crap on auctions. They are more of a pain to have than they are fun to drive.
Old 08-13-2006, 01:33 PM
AznBash3r
My Feedback: (1)

anyone ever watch the Johnny the Ricer vids? goooosh thats the funniest vid ive ever seen!
Old 08-13-2006, 02:17 PM
Kemo

last import video i watched was wrecks of exotics. And I enjoyed every minute of it. From lambo to ferrari, and everything in between.
Old 10-16-2006, 04:48 PM
taildragger21
My Feedback: (197)

My 99' mustang gt.. I'm pretty much a muscle car guy.. I hate ricer's,loud bassy systems,hydraulics,and all that in general. Why take a crappy economy car and spend$$ on it to make it fast when you can just go buy muscle. To each there own I suppose
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25105.jpg
Size:	70.5 KB
ID:	542247  
Old 10-16-2006, 06:00 PM
ProRCRacer88

I have to say both for many reasons, but i only will name 1 for each.
I like muscle cars because they own at a drag strip and the sound and feel of 500+ horses on command is a feeling like no other.
The imports, what I like about them is the looks and racing capabilities they have, and are just as quick as muscle cars if you make them that way.
Old 10-16-2006, 07:00 PM
Dr.ArmoMaxx

With American made cars i would only get Chevy trucks or dodge and the vette

Otherwise its import...and not just any import...for example...i would kill for Subaru WRX sti or Mitsubishi evo 8
And if anyone knows or is familiar with this cars...they know what i am talking about
Old 10-16-2006, 07:30 PM
ProRCRacer88

For imports, the skyline GTR... for muscle, a chevelle SS, dodge charger, shelby cobra
Old 10-16-2006, 07:42 PM
So Cal

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

imports are okay..i gues....but muscle cars are AWSEOME!!! my dream car is a 1969 dodge charger! or a 1971 plymouth hemi 'cuda
Old 10-19-2006, 09:52 AM
SpeedAddict

I want the Charger on Fast and the Furious. That was awesome.

The Yenko Camaro and Hemi Cuda in 2 Fast 2 Furious are sweet cars too.
Old 02-03-2007, 01:58 AM
savage haley 14

you can make a muscle car out run an import on any track just put all the carbon fiber and lighten them up like the imports some muscle cars are really light like a dodge hemi dart they come in at about 2900 lbs. muscle cars will spank imports anyday if you dont believe me try to race john force's mustang[>:]

in 2 fast 2 furious it was a challenger r/t not a hemi cuda